• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

So, who is seeing Sergio in NYC next week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TulitaPepsi

I'll be there at the Blue Note Monday night! :laugh: (and probably at least one more time later that week)

Sadly, I have a prior comittment on the 11th (and no, I can't get out of it... :sad: ) I'm sure Sergio's Birthday shows will be kicking!

And just MAYBE he will announce something like "this number is from our new CD..."

FYI - I saw Sergio here in Boston last night. I've been too tired to write-up and post the set list and my own review of the show, but I promise to have it later today.

I have just visited Regattabar's site and this is the band lineup
Jessica Taylor Price
Dawn Bishop Woullard
Michael Shapiro ( Mr. Kevyn Lettau)
Bill Cantos
Nailton Bisspo dos Santos a.k.a Meia Noite
Kleber Jorge Pimenta
Leanardo Nobre
Daniel Bonneau
I am familiar with everyone EXCEPT Daniel Bonneau, who is he? What does he play? As for Bill Cantos, this is the first time I have seen him with Sergio. Bill is a frequent collaborator of Kevyn Lettau's, he's a great keyboardist and a smooth vocalist and a pretty neat songwriter. I suppose Bill is covering for Bill Brendle. It would be nice to see Bill Cantos in concert at the Blue Note next week.

MasterLcZ said:
Michael Schapiro is an even MORE frequent collaborator with Kevyn :D
:cool: Yes, yes, yes you are quite right. I have known this for many years though, like since 1991. : :love:

No Mia Noche?
:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

WELL...For the first time, I did NOT make it to Sergio's first shows in NYC (long story)... But I'll be there Wed. night (and possibly the late show tonight...gotta see how my day goes)..

Sergio & Co. performed a kickass version of "Roda" last year, and I hope it is still included in this set! It's especially nice to hear the less familiar numbers.

If any of you guys meet up, or happen to meet with Sergio and the band, grab some pictures and I'll post 'em here!

Whoo-Hoo! :rotf:

I know I'm late posting this, but I stayed for both of Sergio's shows on the 9th. and wanted to give a report.

As expected, Sergio and company gave two FIERCE shows at the Blue Note that night. Here's the song list:

Lua Soberana
Holográfico Olodum
Pretty World
Roda (kickASS! :laughup: )
Desafinado
Elle e Carioca
One Note Samba/Spanish Flea
Jinji (sung by Jessie Taylor...1st set)
So Many Stars (Dawn Bishop...2nd set)

Then a very trippy, New-Agey organ segue (as Dawn & Jessie left the stage ) by Sergio and Bill Cantos led into the Bahian section with a double helping of Edu Lobo:
Ponteio (We know it from 'SM Presents Lobo'..but never with Sergio & Co.!)
Zanzibar
A Felicidade
Medley: What Is This/After Sunrise

As always, Mia Noche made the audience hold its breath with his precussion artistry here - but now, Sergio is adding keyboard accompiament with instrumental versions of 'Berimbau' and 'So Danco Samba'!!! :o

Then the girls returned with:

Kalimba/Viramundo
Mais Que Nada
encores: Voce Abouso
Goodbye Sadness

As always, Sergio's group are a very friendly bunch. I chatted with Mike Schapiro, Kleber Jorge, Jessie (who now really commands the stage, groovin and fruggin' á la Karen Phillip!) and Bill Cantos (who told me that Marietta Waters goes to church with his wife, and is doing just great!) Mike told me that Joe Pizzulo & Yutaka own recording studios and are both doing so well with that they never feel the urge to perform....though a lot of people want them to!)

And Sergio was mellow as always, told me he is in the new John Travolta movie, told me that there were NO NEW RECORDINGS planned ("Well, Maybe!" He said with a slight grin) :sad: . To my eyes, he looked that he really missed having Gracinha there (she was home being Mom)

I asked several of the guys later why Sergio doesn't record when so many people are thirsting for a new CD, and was told that Sergio had been very badly treated by the last recording companies he worked for - they hadn't done very much to promote his last CDs and treated him with some diffidence. Understandably, the man was plenty pissed by the cavalier attitude and seems to have thought 'screw 'em!' "He's not totally given up on recording a new album...but he'll wait till the tuming is JUST right".
They did tell me that Sergio is constantly in touch with Herb & Lani...so who KNOWS what might come of that!!! :shock:

Then a very trippy, New-Agey organ segue by Sergio and Bill Cantos led into the Bahian section with a double helping of Edu Lobo:tongue:onteio (We know it from 'SM Presents Lobo'..but never with Sergio & Co.accompiament with instrumental versions of 'Berimbau' and 'So Danco Samba'!!! :o Ponteio was recorded by Sergio in 1968 on My Favorite Thing(an instrumental version, no vocals at all.)Instrumental versions of Berimbau and So Danco Samba, sounds interesting!As always, Sergio's group are a very friendly bunch. I chatted with Bill Cantos (who told me that Marietta Waters goes to church with his wife, Bills wife is singer Mari Falcone.And Sergio was mellow as always, told me he is in the new John Travolta movie.Is Sergio making a cameo appearance or is it one of his classic songs that will be in John's movie? What's the title of the movie?They did tell me that Sergio is constantly in touch with Herb & Lani...so who KNOWS what might come of that!!! :shock:[/quote]Perhaps Herb should sign Sergio to ALMO SOUNDS or maybe Sergio should seek something with Quincy Jones or Dave Grusin. : :D

The only movie that Sergio might be in is Be Cool, a John Travolta movie about the music industry and it's the sequel to Get Shorty. Be Cool will be released in The United States next month.

"Jinji (sung by Jessie Taylor...1st set)
Er, don't you mean Dindi? "

Well, GOSH DARN IT! I did mean Dindi. :rolleyes:

"(We know it from 'SM Presents Lobo'..but never with Sergio & Co.!)
Ponteio was indeed recorded by Sergio. It's on My Favorite Things. "

Ahhhh...but by '& Co.', you MUST know that I am refering to the 'group' (i.e. 'Brasil '66' et al), not a solo recording by Sergio.

"As always, Sergio ends his show with Tristeza."

I know that, kiddo...In my tiredness, just didn't want to misspell the word, so I used the rough English translation that is used on the LOOK AROUND album, y'know. :D

Sergio knew about A&M Corner when I talked to him. We even discussed Julius and Claudio posting here. But maybe he's forgotten in the meantime.

Tech note:

Cortnee and MasterLcZ: If you are going to quote posts above yours, please use the QUOTE function so your quoted text stands out from your new text. And, please quote minimally.

As Jeff says, Sergio was familiar with the site a while back. Gracinha is also aware of the site. Perhaps, as Jeff said, it slipped Sergio's mind. However, you mentioned A&M Corner, refreshed his memory and spread the word. For that, we thank you, Kenny!! :wink:

Jon

Mike Blakesley said:
Tech note:

Cortnee : If you are going to quote posts above yours, please use the QUOTE function so your quoted text stands out from your new text. And, please quote minimally.
I'm sorry Mike.Actually, I did use the qoute function, however I must have messed up when I did some editing on my post. What I was trying to do also was to quote certain fragments of Paul's post but once again when I did the editing I goofed. I'll eventually get the hang of it.
Maybe it would be best if you deleted my post if possible. Thanks Mike.

Thanks Cortnee. We appreciate it. It's just hard to tell "who said what" if the "Quote" function isn't used. It's all good...post away!! :)

Jon

Due to losing my job recently, I missed the chance to catch Sergio in concert for the first time in my life. I am very bummed about that. Especially after hearing that they performed AFTER SUNRISE!!!!

DRAT! :cry:

It would be nice if Herb would come through for his old pal and produce a new Sergio album.

Indeed, Kenny is correct. Jessica's last name is Purse. She made mention of it while we were talking in San Francisco a couple of months ago.

Jon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom