• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

"Solid Brass" vs "Greatest Hits 2"

Which Compilation Do You Prefer?

• Solid Brass

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • Greatest Hits Volume 2

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • I Equally Like Them Both

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I Haven't Heard Either Album

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I had an older neighbor who was a lesser Herb fan and when A Banda was released, he said he didn't like it. It turns out that he thought it was La Bamba, and of course, they sound completely different. :shock:

I was just looking at the actual discs that I have of CLASSICS 1, GH 1+2, SOLID BRASS and FOURSIDER. These were the main TjB compilations released in the US, and I have fading memories about which came first and in what order they were released.

Looking at the information on the hub rings gives some clues.

GREATEST HITS has a date of "9/87" on its hub ring, but a 1985 copyright date.

CLASSICS VOLUME 1 has no date on its hub, but has a 1986 copyright date.

GREATEST HITS VOL. 2 has a "10/87" date on the hub with a 1988 copyright date

SOLID BRASS has a "2/88" date on the hub with a 1988 copyright date

FOURSIDER has a "5/88" date on the hub and a 1988 copyright date

So the only questionable dating seems to be for GREATEST HITS. Either it came out before CLASSICS in 1985, or it came out after, if the '86 date is correct for CLASSICS.

Indeed, I don't know what these dates indicate - it could be the date of a specific production run and have nothing to do with an original release date on CD.

I should also point out that I have later-issued versions of GH1, GH2, and CLASSICS 1 that all have later catalog dates with the "75021" prefix from the PolyGram days. Those don't have any of the date indicators.

Harry
...just passing time while listening to the Phillies beat up on the Dodgers, online...

I went with Solid Brass because of the inclusion of Summertime.

I have the Japanese CD version of Solid Brass and the Summertime track is so clean and clear it makes the song a real joy to listen to. Being a Gershwin fan, I initially thought that Herb’s version of this song sucked; but, it certainly has grown on me over the years.

Mike

One compilation not in the poll is Foursider and I’ve been giving it a lot of playing time lately. In my opinion it has a great selection of songs and plenty of them too (21 tracks). It also appeals to me because it ends with Last Tango In Paris, and that is a favorite of mine and a great song for a closer. So, had Foursider been included in the poll, I would have voted for it.

Mike

True, but the poll was really about which of these two serve as the better GREATEST HITS 2.

There was also the CLASSICS VOLUME 1 comp that was not included. All of the comps have their "specialness" points.

And then there are the non-US compilations out there too. My favorite of those are the two GOLD SERIES comps, making a nice two-disc set.

Harry

I still can't believe they've never done a boxed set. Herb has got to be the highest-stature artist in history not to be represented with a boxed set.*

(* The short-lived "Fan Box Set" doesn't count, I mean a real boxed set with a book and four or five disks, and no the "Longines" set doesn't count either.)

Projects have been started at least twice, but because of one reason or another, they have been shelved. :o

The interesting thing about this, is that Herb is still a very active and talented recording artist. We can't really know that his best work has actually been done yet. I was reminded of this last fall in Naperville. During the concert, in the song "Who Are You", Herb went away from the microphone and just played acoustically, taking advantage of the fantastic acoustics of the hall. It was one of my greatest "Herb moments"; to experience the trumpet sound I have adored since the age of ten, with all the feeling he can put behind his playing, it was very moving indeed.. I can't wait to hear the new album..

- greetings from the nice north -
Martin

hi guys How are you all doing? I was at a local record convention this morning. and I found a promo vinyl copy in near mint in mono of solid brass on the white label. I thought that was only in stereo? it had on the sticker for AM radio only, I paid $ 2.00 for it.
bob

Bob, check out "Without Her" to hear the compressed mono version!

Harry

I did harry, the horn section is not as blaring as the stereo version .thanks for the info. it is more compressed.
bob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom