• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Song For You MFSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this has already been discussed here...but can anybody give me any details on A Song for You MFSL on cd?

I notice that it is out of print and was wondering if there is much difference in the sound quality of this compared with the remastered release.

Thanks in advance,
Laura

The only thing I know is that MFSL was a company providing carefully re-mastered recordings on CD that were very high quality. But in 1998 and 1999 A&M records remastered every original album to restore them to their original vinyl mixes. A&M did such a good job re-mastering that there is hardly any difference between A&M's A Song for You and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs :!:

On both discs, they have the exact same mixes but some songs might have different EQ levels.

I've always wondered why MFSL only re-mastered A Song For You.

raz42289 said:
But in 1998 and 1999 A&M records remastered every original album to restore them to their original vinyl mixes. A&M did such a good job re-mastering that there is hardly any difference between A&M's A Song for You and the Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs :!:

On both discs, they have the exact same mixes but some songs might have different EQ levels.

Hmmm... I was under the impression that the MFSL disc contained the same mixes as the original A&M produced CD from the '80's (the remixes), NOT the original vinyl mixes that are on the remastered classics CD. :confused: Can someone who has the MFSL version confirm which mixes it contains?

Murray

Actually, here's a chart with a breakdown of what's where on the three issues of A Song For You:

Code:
3511	MFSL	RemCl	Trk	Title
-------------------------------------------------------------------
orig	remx	orig	1	A Song For You
sing	sing	orig	2	Top Of The World
orig	remx	orig	3	Hurting Each Other
orig	remx	orig	4	It's Going To Take Some Time
orig	remx	orig	5	Goodbye To Love
orig	remx	orig	6	Intermission
orig	remx	orig	7	Bless The Beasts And Children
orig	remx	orig	8	Flat Baroque
orig	remx	orig	9	Piano Picker
sing	orig	orig	10	I Won't Last A Day Without You
orig	orig	orig	11	Crystal Lullaby
orig	orig	orig	12	Road Ode
orig	orig	orig	13	A Song For You  (reprise)

Legend:

3511 = the original '80s release on CD from A&M (CD 3511)
MFSL = Mobile Fidelity Sound Labs issue UDCD 525
RemCl = the Remastered Classic release from the late '90s

orig = original album version
sing = single mix
remx = remix

Harry
...with the facts, online...

Sorry I was wrong :sad: I assumed since the cover of MFSL had Original Master Recording it was the original recordings :!:

Actually,there are 4 versions of A SONG FOR YOU.The original CD came out in 1986.(which was the original album except for "Top Of The World" single mix).After the MFSL gold disc came out in 1990,A&M reissued A SONG FOR YOU(in 1990) with the MFSL remastering/remixes.(I bought the 1990 reissue in 1994.)The MFSL disc has the 1985 remixes of "A Song For You","Goodbye To Love","Bless The Beasts"/1973 remixes of "Top Of The World","Hurting Each Other" and "I Won't Last A Day Without You"/and 1989 remixes of "It's Going To Take Some Time","Intermission."(all the others are original mixes).In 1999,The Remastered disc was issued(which was the complete original album.)The MFSL disc is absolutely the best version(mastering and mixes).

Thanks Mr. J, I was unaware of the US re-release.

Perhaps you can answer a question about that if you have it. On the original 1986 release, the insert is a no-frills track listing. On the MSFL, and the Remastered Classic, detailed liner notes are included along with lyrics in the booklet. Did that 'middle' domestic release also include the booklet?

Harry
...wondering, online...

mr J. said:
The original CD came out in 1986.(which was the original album except for "Top Of The World" single mix)

That original '86 CD also contains the single remix for "I Won't Last A Day Without You". That's the one with the added guitar part on the chorus. The original album version didn't contain that part.

Harry
...being thorough, online...

Harry-the 1990 reissue has the same "no-frills" sleeve as the 1986 CD.Record buyers wouldn't have noticed any difference on the reissue packaging-it was exactly the same as the first CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom