• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Songs from the TV Specials

Status
Not open for further replies.

close2u

Randy Schmidt
Occassionally I get some spare time (or MAKE it, I guess) to do some of my own compilations... as if there weren't enough Carpenters compialtions already. Anyhow, my most recent creation is a soundtrack of sorts, much like AS TIME GOES BY, including all the "legit release" songs from the ABC TV Specials (1976-1980). It really came out nicely and I thought I'd share the track list:

Without a Song (A Cappella) - 1980
Medley: Superstar/Rainy Days - 1976
Dancing in the Street - 1978
Medley: Sing/Knowing When To Leave/Make It Easy/Someday/Begun - 1980
Little Girl Blue - 1978
You're Just In Love - 1980
Karen/Ella Medley - 1980
Medley: Close Encounters/Star Wars - 1978
When I Fall In Love - 1978 (broadcast 1980)
I Got Rhythm Medley - 1980
Dizzy Fingers - 1980
From This Moment On - 1980
Without a Song (full version) - 1980
Hits Medley - 1976

Although I have rough, bootleg copies of most of the other TV special songs, there are several that would be GREAT additions to a collection like this (and I would still have around 20 min. left to fill on this compilation) if it were ever issued. Just wondering -- what are the songs from the ABC TV Specials that you would like to see released? My tops would be:

"You'll Never Know" (RC did this vocal as a guide for John Davidson for the Music. Music, Music special and he really outdoes himself on this one. I have only heard a fair quality dub but he is singing full-voice and so well at the end of this one. At one time this may have been planned for inclusion on AS TIME GOES BY)

"Comin' Through the Rye/Good Vibrations" (Very odd grouping of songs, but still a great duet between Karen and John Denver. I'd also like to hear the Palladium version that exist with Richard doing John's part)

"A Song For You" Intro (this is the intro from MMM in 1980. I would love to hear that as a lead in for a CD like this)

Also, on the 1976 "Superstar/Rainy Days" medley it would be really neat to include Karen's a cappella opening where she sings... "Hangin' around... nothin' to do but frown... rainy days and Mondays always get... me down..." What a gorgeous lead-in to that medley.

I kept thinking Richard might release that "Play For Me A Simple Melody" quartet featuring he and Karen with Harold and Agnes.

Oh yeah -- and while we are on the subject of those songs we'd like -- just for the sake of curiosity -- it would be great to hear the "Boogie Nights" disco ending from SPACE ENCOUNTERS! Ha!!!

Randy

I'd love to hear an extended mix of sorts including the extra verses of Man Smart, Woman Smarter from Space Encounters and maybe cut out the draggy instrumental at the end.

close2u said:
"A Song For You" Intro (this is the intro from MMM in 1980. I would love to hear that as a lead in for a CD like this)

I always loved this intro, so much so that I dubbed it from the TV while the special played, captured it & made a short mp3. I really need to capture a better copy & bring my VCR in my pc room to capture it better but I do like this & even when they talk about the special & about the hosts. I always love to hear Karen just talk. :wink:

I JUST had all the TV specials + "I Need To Be In Love" music video and the MUSIC! MUSIC! MUSIC! outtakes put on DVD! I am so happy with it! Has anyone else done this?

Gimme a minute to catch my breath...

You have MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC outtakes? I have several specials on VHS however it appears that you have something that I didn't even know existed. Can you relay what is shown on the outtakes?

As far as I've gotten beyond tape or downloading is to have Karen's un-released material put on CD. You've given the distinct impression that I'm "slipping".

I also, love the A SONG FOR YOU intro on MMM. Karen's voice at the point where she sing's "singin this song 'FOR' you". When she dips down into her lower register in singing the word "for" I have to say it is the warmest, richest, strongest "low" note I had ever heard from her. This is not the notes she hits in SOLITAIRE or I CAN DREAM CAN'T I? In those peices she displays her contralto beautifully. But, in this ASFY intro...she is positively exquisite. This came at a point where we later learned that she was gravely ill. Exhibiting behaviors that could've affected her vocals. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, Karen was not done singing. This intro in question, will forever show that her voice had matured far beyond the early 70's. It is just a tease of what was to come.

Regards,

Jeff

Yes, there is a rare set of outtakes floating around out there. It's really fun to watch -- take after take of some of the songs, variations of the Karen/Ella Medley (since Ella was live she sang it a bit differently on each take), Karen clowning around between shots, etc. Something I always found peculiar about these is that Karen licks her lips over and over between takes -- obsessively. She does it so many times it's odd. Anyone else notice that?

Randy

Yes...the outtakes are fun to see. You get to really see Richard and Karen at work in a different light. You see them joking around.

It's really fun to watch. It's sort of sad to watch and look back on those days!

I am working on putting a WHOLE review of the specials on my website (listed below) plus stills.

Outtakes TV Specials extras on any future releases would be great and include some on next rarities set :confused:

With hindsight -Carpenters issuing a TV songs soundtrack in 1980 ...after the delays with planned Made In America -would have brought R&K back into the forefront sooner :)

Certainly some TV tracks could have been included on the possible 1988 Karen Carpenter TV Film soundtrack that A&M & Richard hestitated about for some time :D

Peter

A soundtrack album for "The Karen Carpenter Story" would have been a HUGE hit if released in time for the January 1, 1989 premiere of the movie. I know EVERY store sold out of Carpenters tapes, records and CDs in the weeks following the airing. There was even an article about the surge in sales -- it appeared in Variety. And what a GREAT mix of songs that would have been -- and it could have debuted the Magic Lamp single ("I'll Be Yours" at least) a few years before FROM THE TOP!

Woulda, shoulda, coulda...

Randy

i know the day after i saw the movie i ran down to my local record store and bought the yesterday once more collection. i then racked up all the albums individually over the next couple of months. at that time, i had to special order the cassettes! they didn't have any of the albums in stock. now, these days, just about every record store you go into, they have the whole catalog available. :)

I have a question?

Where could one possibly locate the outtakes if one was inclined to do so?

You all really blow me away because I don't have any of the TV specials yet. I am trying to get them soon.

I thought I had gotten rid of that Sasser thing but apparently not. Other worms/viruses have crept in because I have never run the Windows Update since 2002. No telling what junk is on this HP PC! :shock:

NP: Essential Cyndi Lauper

Andrew
...who just had the one of the worst days of his life....

Would appreciate Richard releasing the Spike Jones version of "Close To You" from 1976 special or / and live group track from Palladium / 1976
tour live tapes -both are inventive and very enjoyable :cool:

Also from TV performances -but not Carpenters specials -would love to hear fully mixed / mastered audio versions of Bacharach / David trio of songs from 1971 TV series :

Wishin' & Hopin' / A House Is Not A Home / Trains & Boats & Planes :)

Peter...Memories....

Sorry about your day Andrew.
Perhaps I can help you with the TV specials? I have three and live concerts and all kinds of stuff I bought from this Knoxville F/C about 12 years ago. The tapes are poor audio and the picture could be better. These were acquired for a mere 200 smackers. However, I wouldn't mind sharing at some point. It's all in the doing. You know dubbing and all that?

Send me a private message and we'll talk.

Jeff

P.S. Thank you Alex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom