• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Songs We Wish Richard Would Record

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark-T

I've always thought Richard could have had additional success as a solo artist had he released another pop album after "Time" instead of going into MOR mode. He was a relatively young man when Karen passed, and certainly much too young to move in on elevator music.

That said, I heard an oldie today and thought it might have been good for him:
"Stormy" by the Classics IV.
Great vocals, harmonies, a cool bass line, and a great saxophone solo. All the makings of a Richard song.

For years, I thought he should have recorded "Poor Side of Town", the old Johnny Rivers classic.

What are you selections you wish he had recorded?

I thought about Celine Dion would do "If I Could Change Your Mind" (from The Alan Parsons Project 1979 "Eve") which the late singer Lesley Duncan did back then. I also think the late Karen might have done that song too. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I wish he had put out the leaked "You'll never know" it's a fantastic performance and better quality would be nice.

I always thought that Richard's best vocal performances were in the early years of the Carpenters. "Time" was an okay album, but I found that he used too high of a register. His lower range was always his best.
And, speaking of Alan Parsons....in his later work, after the Project had been dissolved, AP worked with several well-known vocalists on his "post-Project" projects, such as Christopher Cross, Leo Sayer and Tony Hadley (from Spandau Ballet fame)
Richard Carpenter was and is an arranger. Alan Parsons is an arranger. Not sure how RC would have fit in with AP.

I can think quite a few if he would have decided to do an "oldies" album like Barry Manilow did a few years ago. For example, someone mentioned "So Much In Love". I can just hear Richard doing an a Capella of this song like the way he did with "When Time Was All We Had". I can also hear him cover Johnny Mathis "Misty".

But overall, I would rather have him do new songs as well.

Danny

...every time I hear "So Much In Love" by Art Garfunkel, I wish that it had been Richard's song. It has Carpenters written all over it.

You hit the nail on the head. Richard's vocals are similar to Art Garfunkel and it just so happens that one of my all-time favorite compositions is Stevie Wonder's, "I Believe (WhenI Fall In Love It Will Be Forever)", which Garfunkel recorded in 1975. To think of Richard's multi-track vocal on this tune, wow. It gives me shivers just thinking about how great that would sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom