• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

Spinners "Games People Play" (1975)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM Matt

Forum Undertaker
My mom thought the female background singer was Karen Carpenter. I said, that is not Karen singing the song. :laugh: :o Had Karen sang the part that goes "Nowhere to go, we'll take it slow guess I call it a day", that would have been something. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Actually Karen sings on "Then Came You"...!!! :jester:

Just kidding, it was Dionne Warwick...

I didn't know "Games People Play" had any female vocals, unless it was Dolly Parton singing the Joe South song... (Now there I go again!) :nut:

Dave

OK, a vid' for "They Just Can't Stop It (Games People Play)", right here:

A Live (probably lip-sync'd) performance on Soul Train, and although a member of the group lip-sync's to the suspected part of the song, a subtitle there states that: "Barbara Ingram is the voice heard on the original cut"...

It's just only one line, anyway, that the female singer, Barbara Ingram sings, and for years would've never thought it to be Karen Carpenter... (To me, she doesn't sound really like Karen at all...)

Dave

unless it was Dolly Parton singing the Joe South song... (Now there I go again!)

...regarding Dolly's 'Here You Come Again', Carpenters were offered this song and turned it down...
It was at that time that Karen looked 'better than a body had a right to..."

goodjeans said:
...Regarding Dolly's 'Here You Come Again': Carpenters were offered this song and turned it down...

Well, Randy Bishop got it and recorded on an A&M '45' (A&M 1947) b/w "Can't Believe It's Over"... I had a double-sided promo of the former and wonder how the song did get to Dolly Parton...

Millie Jackson did it the following year and I even sang a Ray Conniff Singers-styled rendition at a Karaoke... (At a place where I was once "the Karaoke Superstar"...!!!)

Would've been pretty neat if Karen recorded it and it would be the first time the Carpenters covered a Barry Mann/Cynthia Weil-written song...

Dave

From the part of Dave's post that you quoted, it appears you have mis-read his always cryptic posting style. He didn't say the Carpenters DID cover a Mann/Weil song, he said it WOULD HAVE BEEN the first time they covered one of their songs.

Mike Blakesley said:
From the part of Dave's post that you quoted, it appears you have mis-read his always cryptic posting style. He didn't say the Carpenters DID cover a Mann/Weil song, he said it WOULD HAVE BEEN the first time they covered one of their songs.

Dave - our would'a, could'a, should'a, Krayola King!

Harry

Mike Blakesley said:

Yes, I feel so mis-quoted after reading that...! :laugh: Thanks, Mike!

Harry said:
Dave - our would'a, could'a, should'a, Krayola King!

Harry

Thank you, Harry! The way I saw your name under the last post in this Thread, I thought that you were going to mention The Spinners being fellow-Pennsylvanians just like you (though I believe the group originated in Detroit, before moving to Philadelphia)...

Dave

...I know. I still didn't know that it would have been a first if they had covered the song regarding the Mann/Weill songwriting team. Even further aside from the topic is David Foster on PBS lately. I think that he would have done wonders at the Carpenters production helm.

just imagining ... Karen singing the Mann/Weill song "Somewhere Out There" (beautifully recorded by Linda Ronstadt and James Ingram)...a duet with James? or someone else... ok, back to reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom