• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

🎵 AotW Split Enz - TIME AND TIDE (SP-4894)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPJim

Staff member
Split Enz
TIME AND TIDE

A&M SP-4894

sp4894.jpg

Tim Finn - vocals & piano
Neil Finn - vocals & guitar
Noel Crombie - drums & percussion
Nigel Griggs - bass
Eddie Rayner - keyboards & percussion

SIDE ONE:

Dirty Creature (N. & T. Finn/Griggs) 4:00
Giant Heartbeat (N. Finn & Griggs) 3:52
Hello Sandy Allen (N. Finn) 3:46
Never Ceases to Amaze Me (T. Finn) 3:00
Lost For Words (N.& T. Finn/Griggs) 2:56
Small World (T. Finn) 3:33

SIDE TWO:

Take a Walk (N. Finn) 3:33
Pioneer (E. Rayner) 1:33
Six Months in a Leaky Boat (T. Finn & Split Enz) 4:20
Haul Away (T. Finn) 2:26
Log Cabin Fever (N. Finn) 4:34
Make Sense of It (Split Enz) 3:30

Produced by Hugh Padgham & Split Enz/ All selections published by Enz Music (BMI)
David Price - assistant producer
Recorded in Sydney Australia for Enz Productions
Mastered by Ian Cooper & Howard Gray at Townhouse Studios, U.K.

Jeff Ayeroff - art direction
Noel Crombie - cover design & photos

Entered the Billboard Top 200 on May 8, 1982; charted for 20 weeks & peaked at # 58
Reissued on CD by Mushroom Records (MUSH 32335 2)

JB

This is one of my favorite "quirky" albums, you know, those albums you can't really fit into a genre except for the ultra-broad "alternative." Their best album ever, IMHO. I have the original Mushroom CD which I got via import. It takes the pure pop they were working with on "True Colours" and "Waiata" and brings it to another level entirely. If you like melodic pop/rock with a healthy dose of humor and whimsy and mystery, this is stuff you would like.

Favorite songs: Make Sense of It, Take A Walk, Dirty Creature, Giant Heartbeat, Hello Sandy Allen, Six Months in a Leaky Boat.

Yeah, I'd have to agree that this was their best all-around album. And while "I Got You" tends to be the song they're remembered the most for (and it is an excellent song), I think "Six Months in a Leaky Boat" is probably my favorite song of theirs. The verses are just as catchy - if not catchier - than the actual chorus, and the whole song just manages to serve as a perfect hybrid between the quirkier nature of their earlier material and the more traditional pop territory they'd explore (and with much more commercial success) in Crowded House. A fantastic album from one of A&M's most criminally-underrated acts of the '80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom