Spotlight: MAGIC MAN (SP-3728)

What Is Your Favorite Song On This Album?

• Magic Man

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • Manhattan Melody

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • I Get It From You

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Secret Garden

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Besame Mucho

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • This One's For Me

• Fantasy Island

• You Smile - The Song Begins

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

Herb Alpert
MAGIC MAN

A&M SP-3728

sp3728.jpg

Released 1981

Format: Vinyl/8-Track/Cassette/CD

Produced by Herb Alpert and Michael Stokes

Albums Chart: #61 Pop Album, #10 Jazz Album, #39 Black Album
Singles Chart: "Magic Man" - #79 Pop Single, #37 Black Single; "Manhattan Melody" - #74 Black Single

Songs:
  • 1. Magic Man (Herb Alpert/Michael Stokes/Melvin Ragin) - 5:33
    2. Manhattan Melody (Herb Alpert/Michael Stokes/Michel Colombier) - 5:42
    3. I Get It From You (Richard Page/Steven George/John Lang) - 3:59
    4. Secret Garden (Herb Alpert) - 4:37
    5. Besame Mucho (Consuelo Velasquez) - 6:10
    6. This One's For Me (Richard Kerr) - 3:38
    7. Fantasy Island (Herb Alpert) - 3:42
    8. You Smile - The Song Begins (Herb Alpert) - 3:01

Musicians:
Herb Alpert - Trumpet, Flugelhorn, Lead Vocal, Background Vocals, Piano, Clavinet, Arp and Rhodes
Michael Stokes - Piano, Clavinet, Background Vocals, Arp and Rhodes
Abraham Laboriel - Bass, Guitar (5)
Paulinho Da Costa - Percussion
Steven L. Lukather - Guitar
Steve Forman - Percussion
Julius Wechter - Vibes and Marimba
John F. Robinson - Drums
Steve Porcaro - Synthesizer
Eddie "Bongo" Brown - Bongo and Conga
Michel Colombier - Piano and Rhodes
James Gadson - Drums
Gayle Levant - Harp
"Ready" Freddie Washington - Bass (1)
Wah Wah Watson - Guitar (1)
David Foster - Keyboards and Synthesizer (3)
Richard Page - Background Vocal (3)
Steven George - Background Vocal (3)
Jeremy Lubbock - Piano and Rhodes (6)

Recorded at A&M Recording Studios, Studio D, Hollywood, CA
Engineers: John Beverly Jones, Steve Mitchell, Don Hahn
Assistant Engineers: Tim Garrity, Jim Cassell
Re-mixed by Don Hahn
Mastered by Bernie Grundman at A&M Recording Studios, Hollywood, CA

Art Direction: Chuck Beeson/Jeff Ayeroff
Illustration/Design: Taki Ono
Photography: Lisa Powers

This album is dedicated to my beautiful wife Lani, Dore, Eden and Aria.
Jolene Burton - The "First Lady" and friend of A&M.
And Jerry Moss - the best partner a person could ever hope for.

Capt. Bacardi

The frolicking and EZ boogie of "Magic Man" (B/W "Secret Garden" which I didn't play as much) still gives me goose bumps... I had a Picture Sleeve '45' before turning to the complete album shortly after...

"I Get It From You" seems to be my least favorite track as Alpert had done a number of vocal performances much superior to this one which becomes "one-too-many"...!!! The rest of the compositions range from danceable numbers in the Rise-mode, to more relaxed, almost lounge-type Instrumental Jazz much like on Beyond... And a still flawless as opposed to formulaic approach in the playing; the variations in Herb's tone are still there...!

Dave

Dave said:
The frolicking and EZ boogie of "Magic Man" still gives me goose bumps...
"I Get It From You" seems to be my least favorite track as Alpert had done a number of vocal performances much superior to this...
-Dave

It doesn't surprise me that, so far, the overwhelming majority agrees on the title track being the best on MAGIC MAN. My theory is that the songwriting, arrangement, and overall execution of this piece on record makes it one of Alpert's best tracks ever recorded during the solo years. "Manhattan Melody" and "I Get It From You" (sorry, Dave) are, in my opinion, tied for close second (on this LP).

All of the other tracks are enjoyable, and I'm sure the debate over "Besame Mucho" will continue in this thread. Personally speaking, I prefer the MAIN EVENT LIVE version. However, I can still enjoy the MAGIC MAN version within the context of the playlist. I just don't cue it up on it's own. Same notation for "You Smile-The Song Begins". The 1974 version from the album of title was, IMHO, a better interpretation, but I must note this special news flash: YOU CAN ENJOY-YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHOOSE!!! :D

I recently made a playlist of David Foster arrangements from the 1980s, and "This One's For Me" fits right in. "Fantasy Island" has some cool noises, which I remember my cat looking up at the speaker in intrigue. And "Secret Garden", though my least favorite on the album, still maintains my interest without skipping over.

Laboriel & DaCosta... Wechter... Foster... Porcaro & Lukather from Toto... Page & George before Mr. Mister had their flash in the pan... and Herb Alpert... the MAGIC MAN. What a combo!

All in all, a pretty good album. 4 stars.

Tony

I had to go with BESAME MUCHO. Maybe it's the stunning guitar work of Abe Laboriel, the techno-beat rythym section, Herb's almost frantic soloing or all those things put together; this track really does it for me!

As for the title track, I really prefer the COLORS version. Both are somewhat bound by some then-in-vogue stylistic elements; but the COLORS version seems to stand up better to the test of time, at least for me...

Dan

This is an album that I really used to love, but it sounds a little dated today. The constant THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP on several songs is a distraction. That aside, the music is really great. I love the chord progression of "Magic Man", with its quirky little melody that sounds a bit like "My Heart Belongs To Daddy". Love the guitar work. "Manhattan Melody" is another nice tune, although I think Herb's solo is a little weak. Despite my dislike for Herb's singing I actually like "I Get It From You". It has a soulful feel to it, and his horn work at the end is good. For some reason I've always been drawn to "Secret Garden". I like the exotic openess of the song, and Herb's horn is right on here. "Besame Mucho" is a pretty hip tune, despite those dreaded THUMP THUMP THUMPS. Abe Laboriel's acoustic guitar sparring with Herb's frenzied horn is a great fit. "This One's For Me" is a nice little ballad. "Fantasy Island" was the one song I never really cared for. The remake of "You Smile" has its moments, but I prefer the original.

I've always thought of this as a perfect reflection of California music in the early 80's. It just seems to fit that time.

Capt. Bacardi

This is something I posted back in 2005 IRT Besame Mucho:

I’m listening to “Besame Mucho” on the “Magic Man” LP, and I can’t help but think it would sound so much better without that constant beat thing going on. I don’t know the technical music name for it; it’s the constant fast paced “dun, dun, dun, dun”, going on throughout the song.

Anyway, I guess it was cool to do that in the 80’s, but I think it would sound terrific without it.

Mike

Would you believe I'm giving up the Obama-McCain debates just to write this?!! Why am I doing this? Because MAGIC MAN is the tune that started it all for me!! Me, being a jazz lover,that is. I got hooked on jazz because of MAGIC MAN! Herb proved to me that jazz can be sexy, vibrant, youthful, and just plain ol' great to listen to-at any time, any place. After MAGIC MAN, then it was ARE YOU GOING WITH ME by The Pat Metheny Group(the two tunes have a similar melody to my ears, but that's just me probably),then Sanborn, Grover,Joe Sample, et al until it led me to Miles, Sassy, Dizzy, Charlie, Ella,etc. But it all started with MAGIC MAN!!! Now on to da review!

MAGIC MAN: what can I say! I've already said what has to be said, but here's more! Herb's playing is vibrant, Michael Stokes' keyboard work is beautiful, Abe Laboriel's bass is cookin'(as usual), Steve Lukather's guitar is funky, even Gayle Levant's harp works beautifully on this track! All these combinations on this track make this song one of the best jazz tunes EVER.

MANHATTAN MELODY is the weakest cut on this album because of its annoying disco sound; which was dated even back in 1981.However, for you trivia buffs out there, MM was played a lot at Rockerfeller Center in the 80s during the wintertime season when people would ice skate on the iceskating rink.

I GET IT FROM YOU: This is one of Herb's better vocals, but like THIS GUY'S, it's the musicianship of the players that enhance Herb's vocals on this tune.Another trivia note:in the early 80s, there was an PBS series, a 'dramedy' if you will that was called THE RIGHTEOUS APPLES. It was about an interracial pop-rock band who were also high school students. I GET IT was one of the songs that the 'group' sang, and the musical director for the show was none other than Michael Stokes! Another aside: one of the stars of the show went on to be an A&M recording artist; her name Elizabeth Dailey or E.G.Dailey as she was known.

THE SECRET GARDEN: this tune is one of Alpert's more creative and jazzier tunes on the album; it has a mysterious vibe to the tune, sort of like a 'cloak and dagger', 'cat and mouse' type of feel to it, like something you would hear in a spy movie.
BESAME MUCHO:This too, is one of the better tracks on the album, and man does it move! Laboriel's guitar playing is very rich and full, and it adds to the tension buildup combined with Herb's playing, when finally Herb and the rest of the backup singers cry out :"BESAME MUCHO"! It sort of reminds me of something out of the opera CARMEN, and I can see Herb and the rest of the band playing on a terrace in Spain or something to that effect. Great arrangement, great playing.

Things slow down with THIS ONE'S FOR ME, and while being a bit on the schmaltzy side, Alpert's playing is very cool, calm, and relaxed. FANTASY ISLAND was obviously inspired by the TV series of the same name and it has that 'islandish' feel to it; complete with tropical sound effects and vocals(or synths?) that sound like those old 1940s tropical movie musicals.

Next to MAGIC MAN, the best tune on the album is Herb's reworking of his own tune, YOU SMILE-THE SONG BEGINS. It's so beautiful and heartfelt, it makes you want to choke up a tear of happiness when you hear it.The 'synth' trombone sounds a lot like Bob Edmondson's playing, and Paulinho Da Costa's percussion work add to the upbeat tempo of the tune.
All in all, a great album(as usual) by one of the music industry's most popular performers.Four stars!!

jazzdre said:
MANHATTAN MELODY is the weakest cut on this album because of its annoying disco sound; which was dated even back in 1981.

:shock: Ouch! Come on, now... Can't be all that bad...

Tony

jazzdre said:
FANTASY ISLAND was obviously inspired by the TV series of the same name and it has that 'islandish' feel to it; complete with tropical sound effects and vocals(or synths?) that sound like those old 1940s tropical movie musicals.

I'm not so sure this song was inspired by that stupid TV show (man, I hated that show). The term "Fantasy Island" had been around well before that show. I recall an adult flick in the mid-70's...but I digress... :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...crossing that line again, online...

I had to give "You Smile..." the slight edge over "Magic Man". I really like Herb's soloing throughout that track, and it's a great capper to a really solid and often overlooked album.

As an aside, does anyone else think that there's more than a passing similarity between "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" (about 10 seconds in) and "Magic Man"?

Nathan Strum said:
does anyone else think that there's more than a passing similarity between "My Heart Belongs to Daddy" (about 10 seconds in) and "Magic Man"?

Now that you mention it, yes...probably not intentional, but there is a definite similarity to the melody lines, at least the verse.

Dan

Well, finally, somebody managed to find a complete copy of the entire original music video to "Magic Man" and they posted it on youtube! I haven't seen this, in it's entirety, since I first saw it some 30 odd years ago. The first 16 seconds is silent, so don't get the wrong impression. Enjoy!

I always loved the magic man album in its entirety i get it from you is in my opinion one of my favorite alpert vocal tracks i enjoyed his remake of you smile the song begins and ironicly that was the first version of it i heard when i heard the original later i loved it equally as much i liked besame mucho and secret garden as well as the title song i was 14 when this was released a troubled teenager but this album brought a sense of joy and happiness to me that would stay with me for many years to come and im happy to say i still have my original vinyl copy one of my all time favorite classic 80s albums

I always loved the magic man album in its entirety i get it from you is in my opinion one of my favorite alpert vocal tracks i enjoyed his remake of you smile the song begins and ironicly that was the first version of it i heard when i heard the original later i loved it equally as much i liked besame mucho and secret garden as well as the title song i was 14 when this was released ... this album brought a sense of joy and happiness to me that would stay with me for many years to come and im happy to say i still have my original vinyl copy one of my all time favorite classic 80s albums

WOW! I was 12 when this came out, and I agree completely. Great album, start to finish, and I also kept my vinyl copy after buying the CD just for collection purposes. I too heard this version of "You Smile" before I heard the 1974 version. If I HAD to pick between the two, I would probably pick the older one, but this one rocks! "I Get It From You" is also a Herb vocal fave of mine, along with "Quiereme Tal Como Soy" from FANDANGO and "No Time For Time" from WILD ROMANCE.

Well you must be a long lost sibling my friend you mentioned two more vocal faves of mine by herb unfortunatly i never saw a cd version of the magic man and was unable to obtain it as with many other alpert albums of the period thankfully i kept my vinyl versions of those titles i couldnt get on cd so my advice take good care of your vinyl and hold on to it and make a cdr copy of them like i did and they still sound great

I never voted on this one before, so I'm a little late to the party. My favorite song on this album is "You Smile the Song Begins." I know the previous version might be a better "interpretation" of the song, but for sheer listenability this version has it all in my book -- cool percussion, that TJB-ish trombone working with Herb (who's playing that anyway? There's no trombone in the musician credits....is it Mr. Edmondson?), and Herb's terrific improvising.

My second favorite (and a very close second) is "Besame Mucho." What makes this version click is the vocal chants of the title late in the song.....just when things are starting to slow down a little bit, here come those vocals and the horn intensity grows. It's a great arrangement. The "disco beat" aside, I think the version here is tighter than the one on Main Event Live. The improv sections are a little more "organized," if that makes sense, while the Main Event playing seems more all-over-the-map to me -- and the melody moves along much faster on this version, which I like. The finishing touch is the Julius Wechter marimba. I love those low bass marimba "thunks" in there.

I also like "I Get It From You" -- I have to be in the right mood to listen to some of the Herb vocals but this is one of my more favored ones.

This album also has one of my favorite Herb Alpert album covers. I remember the record label had a purple-tinted logo which was pretty cool...but didn't this one come with one of those awful tissue-like plastic innersleeves?

Looks like I never voted on this one either.

Yes, the label on the LP was purple colored and it came in a plastic sleeve. Mine also has a white cardboard insert with nothing on it. I guess that was supposed to give the jacket rigidity. My copy still has some shrink-wrap on it and it looks like I paid $7.89 at Mad's Records in Ardmore, PA.

This another CD that I'm blessed to own (CD 3728) - right time, right place, buying up every Herb album I could find on the format. Made in the early A&M label style, it loses the "magic" of the LP's label, printed in the plain fonts common in that era. The disc was Made in Japan for US, with inserts printed in the US.

I bought the album as part of a mass catch-up program, having lost touch with Herb's music for a time, so, as such, I don't have any time-specific memories of the album being new. My mind tends to lump it in with RISE and BEYOND. It wasn't until FANDANGO arrived a year or so later that I started paying attention to Herb again.

The title track is the stand-out for me.

Harry

-- cool percussion, that TJB-ish trombone working with Herb (who's playing that anyway? There's no trombone in the musician credits....is it Mr. Edmondson?), and Herb's terrific improvising.
To my understanding, what sounds like a trombone on "You Smile" is actually syntesizer mixed with a low octave electric guitar.

I think this is a enjoyable jazz album. The favorite is the title cut, because it sounds the most like what was considered contemporary jazz at the time. I don't particularly care for "I Get It From You", because I don't care for love songs in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom