• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Supermarket Serenade

Status
Not open for further replies.

thetijuanataxi

I was shopping at my local Tom Thumb Supermarket and they were making a sale announcement over the loudspeaker. As soon as the advertisement ended, they went back to playing music. First up: "A Taste Of Honey" by Herb Alpert's Tijuana Brass! If it weren't for the fact that I have two left feet and look scary when I dance, I would have been dancing down the isles. See, some supermarkets have more than just low prices!

David,
who purchased some whipped cream tonight..........

thetijuanataxi said:
David,
who purchased some whipped cream tonight..........

I hope Mrs Littman is hiding form you and that can o' Whipped Cream!

--Mr Bill

But....but.....I was just gonna use the whipped cream for some strawberries.......Honest.....well I was.

David,
preserving his reputation.....on line LOL

The local Meijer store occasionally plays SLINKY from PASSION DANCE on it's muzak machine...and I heard RISE the other day in Wal-Mart...Herb is alive and well and playing in supermarkets everywhere...

Dan

We no longer use "Ambiance Music" while boarding our Southwest jets, except Labor Day. It's a tradition. Low and behold, last year, they played "Route 101" during one of our flights. I even heard a passenger or two say, "That's Herb Alpert!" And of course -- for those passengers not in the know -- I was more than happy to identify him.

Jon

...who usually flies above Route 101, online...

Wow! Listening to Herb while you're flying must REALLY make you feel like you're !!GOING PLACES!!.

David,
wishing the media would acknowledge Herb

Here's one for you... Flying home form the middle east in December of 2001 on an Arab Airline, no less (Gulf Air) I was treated to Herb & the TJB's "Jingle Bell Rock." So, I'm in the air over Jordan, hearing a Christmas song played by a Jew on an Arab airliner! To complete the irony I'll believe my Chinese stewardess was Buddhist (Sorry, Jon, that's "Flight Attendant, right?)

--Mr Bill
who won't mention that the lady seated next to him was reading Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Repair

Mr Bill said:
...So, I'm in the air over Jordan, hearing a Christmas song played by a Jew on an Arab airliner!

A living example of Diversity...who could ask for more? :wink:

Mr Bill said:
...To complete the irony I'll believe my Chinese stewardess was Buddhist (Sorry, Jon, that's "Flight Attendant", right?)

I get the biggest kick out of the supposed politically correct term for my career. Personally, "Stew" doesn't bother me in the least. After all, I was called a Steward when I started flying for Eastern Air Lines back in 1981. It was years later, when I worked for PSA (Pacific Southwest Airlines), that the term was officially changed to "Flight Attendant" or "Cabin Attendant".

Some modern day flight attendants take great offense to being called "Stewardess" and/or "Steward". I couldn't care less. Doesn't matter what they call me. When it comes down to it, I'm the one who can get your butt off that airplane in less than 90 seconds. I can also save your life (with an AED or CPR), talk a highjacker down, take control of any emergency situation and pour one hell of a cup of coffee!! :tongue:

Jon

...nuts regardless of the altitude, online...

Weren't the first "flight attendants" men, anyway? I thought I read someplace that they were...and that airlines really preferred male attendants because they had a tendency to be more career-oriented than women were.

I've also read that most airlines really aren't in favor of serving alcohol on airplanes, but do so to remain competitive with other airlines...it strikes me that an airplane is a a "confined space", so to speak, and that there isn't really much room to allow for someone to behave in a less-than- orderly manner...it's hard to "confine" someone to their "quarters"...I imagine your job can really be a calling and a challenge at times, Jon.

Dan, who's never flown commercially...

You are correct, Dan. The first known Flight Attendants were men. Pan Am utilized them on Clippers back in the late '20s to mid '30s. As a matter of fact, my Grandfather applied with Pan Am, but was turned down for being too tall.

As an experienced Flight Attendant, I can honestly say that I don't like serving alcohol; never have. Confined space, altitude and recycled air all combine to enhance the effects of alcohol. You'd be amazed how much we serve on morning flights. There are some people who start their day with a cocktail. I just don't understand that. Besides, it makes our job a lot harder when we have a loud, boisterous drunk to deal with at 50,000 feet.

As for me, I drink every once in a blue moon. Sometimes I'll have a beer on a layover or during a holiday at home. Otherwise, I'm not big on booze.

Bottom line: we deal with more than your average "Joe" up there...we see it all!

Jon

brasil_nut said:
...we deal with more than your average "Joe" up there...we see it all!

I have to ask... Have you ever caught people trying to join the "Mile High Club"???

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
brasil_nut said:
...we deal with more than your average "Joe" up there...we see it all!

I have to ask... Have you ever caught people trying to join the "Mile High Club"???

--Mr Bill

Yes...I'll leave it at that... :tongue:

Jon

...Rated "R" online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom