The A&M logo

Which variation of the A&M Records logo do you like the most?

• The original logo with no border

Votes: 9 31.0%
  • The original logo, with border (as it usually appeared through the '70s and early '80s)

Votes: 17 58.6%
  • The "modern" 1984 logo

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • The current 1996 logo

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew T.

One detail of records on the A&M label that catches my eye is the logo that identifies them. The A&M logo itself is a classic piece of work, and has had a number of subtle and significant tweaks over the years:

Here are the respective poll choices, from left to right:

am-logos.jpg

My own favorite would have to be the original version with the border (which appeared on so many great records over the years), but I quite like the squarish 1984 version (also in my avatar) as well. A&M, I think, did a superb job of simplifying and modernizing its logo without changing it around too much (which is more than could be said for labels like Elektra and Epic!). Additionally, Gill Sans just looks good. :D

The 1996 version I could do without: It seemed anachronistic to revert to the pre-1984 logo's proportions and embellishments when the 1984 logo still looked up-to-date, and the modern, blocky typeface improvised for "Records" looks very out-of-place in my opinion.

I like the original bordered logo too. It just has that classic A&M look. None of them are bad though.

I too am glad that A&M hasn't severly altered their logo from inception to today and has returned to the stylish ampersand between the A and the M. (my least favorite feature of the 80s version is the plain-looking &.)

am-logos.jpg

Clearly #2 is easily my fav'... Especially since so many of our favorite artists we like were represented by that logo-style, and don't forget that it was once sometimes accompanied by another favorite A&M-related Logo...:

CTi

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

The original logo is the one I picked. It didn't have a "hard" border, but it was usually white, and bordered by the A&M "ochre" color. On a promo release, and on the earliest cream-colored A&M labels, it had no border.

am-logos.jpg

I'd have to agree that all of the above are outstanding examples of logos, and that they all look pretty good, and keep the flavor with the subtle changes. I've always liked that '80s version and thought that the silver on black color theme was about as classy a record label as I'd ever seen. But it's hard to beat the ochre label's bordered logo.

I too am happy that the "present day" logo hasn't strayed too far from the original and can still be found on current-day releases, though often printed rather small, almost microscopic at times. Too bad that Herb's, Sergio's, and Burt's latest release couldn't have sported the classic logo.

Harry

I'm also glad they're still using "Records" in the logo, as opposed to "Music" or "Entertainment" which many companies seem to be doing.

Mike Blakesley said:
I'm also glad they're still using "Records" in the logo, as opposed to "Music" or "Entertainment" which many companies seem to be doing.

That was part of the reason they went to that square logo. With it they were able to (and did) put a variety of words underneath, such as "FILMS" for A&M Films, "VIDEO" for their home video product (and music videos) and, however briefly, "BOOKS." There may have been others.

--Mr Bill

Wasn't there in fact, a fifth logo...which said "Records and Tapes"...late 60s, early 70s?

My vote is for #2....and if anybody asks, I loved the drop-down box for the logo, catalog number and "STEREO".

Wasn't there in fact, a fifth logo...which said "Records and Tapes"...late 60s, early 70s?
Right, and the logo said "Stereo Tapes" on 8-track and cassette units for a while at least.

A bit of 8-track history as a sideline here for those interested...

The first A&M 8-tracks were white in color and included the standard A&M Records label. (I think they were produced by a third party company, not A&M directly.)

When they took control of their own production, they shifted to black 8-track tape shells which were very unreliable. This was about the time I got into the music biz....and it was during the TJB's heyday. We got back lots and lots of tangled-up A&M tapes. (I remember I tried 3 copies of SOUNDS LIKE and never did get one that worked. I finally gave up and never heard the album again until I got into LPs and bought that version.) Those tapes came in a plastic U-shaped clip which had the A&M logo embossed, and fit over the end of the cart to protect the tape.

Later, around the time of WARM, they went to an olive-drab color tape shell...much more reliable, and the tapes started to arrive in a black box with a rainbow going across the logo. Pretty cool box.

A&M's first 8-Tracks were manufactured by Ampex.

You're right about the black A&M-manufactured 8-tracks. I gave up for the longest time...don't think I tried A&M tapes again until 1973 and The Carpenters' "Now & Then" (because I just had to have side 2 in the car).

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:

AS Mike said, yes there was. I remember seeing it used in Billboard ads and I think it was used on the blue and tan inner sleeves during thier brief tenure as "standard" sleeves. I've never seen it actually grace an LP, but I recall tapes had "Stereo Tapes" instead of "Records" for a short time.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill said:
Michael Hagerty said:

AS Mike said, yes there was. I remember seeing it used in Billboard ads and I think it was used on the blue and tan inner sleeves during thier brief tenure as "standard" sleeves. I've never seen it actually grace an LP, but I recall tapes had "Stereo Tapes" instead of "Records" for a short time.

--Mr Bill

Not only did it grace an LP, but here's proof:
AMRecTapes.jpg

...as it appeared on:
sp4260.jpg

Harry

The logo with the words "Records & Tapes" appeared on Jobim's Tide. This was the only album Creed Taylor recorded where the CTi logo was dropped from the gatefold, inside and out, presumably because this was the last album he did for A&M before moving to independent CTi.

Incidentally, Taylor admitted that he recorded the tracks for Tide and Stone Flower in the same sessions, but saved Stone Flower strictly for CTi. Good choice! :thumbsup:

AMRecTapes.jpg

...Which certainly gets MY vote as "Best Logo", there... I think my Sandpipers Gift Of Song sports the "...and Tapes", too--just to name one example of the "FIFTH Logo"...!

Dave :neutral:inkshield:

Thanks for that Harry. My not being a big Cat Stevens fan (and owning nothing but the 25th Anniversary Comp) explains why I've never seen it beyond ads and promo material of the period, though it made sense to use it everywhere.

--Mr Bill
now as for the sucky current Ballantine Books logo...

Dave said:
I think my Sandpipers Gift Of Song sports the "...and Tapes", too--just to name one example of the "FIFTH Logo"...!

Nope. It's Sandpipers' COME SATURDAY MORNING (SP 4262) that has this logo.

So that's three we're sure of, with Jobim's TIDE being the third. It's a safe bet that whatever 4261 is might also use that logo.

Here's a nice, large version from the inside of TIDE:

AMRecTapesLarge.jpg

Harry

Yup, SP 4261, Procol Harum's "Home," has the "Records & Tapes" logo.

Others not yet mentioned that have the logo...

SP 4242: Jimmie Rodgers "Troubled Times"
SP 4249: Lee Michaels "Barrel"
SP 4264: Ron Davies "Silent Song Through the Land"
SP 4266: Spooky Tooth "The Last Puff"
SP 4267: Miguel Rios "A Song of Joy"
SP 4268: Free "Fire & Water"
SP 4269: Fotheringay
SP 6002: Joe Cocker "Mad Dogs & Englishmen"

There are probably others. My collection isn't complete.

This logo also was the first use of the thick border, which they used from then on, even when they stopped using the "Records & Tapes" designation. So the width of the border is another subtle change in the logo over the years.

Cheers,

Tom

My preference, if it came to what's shown, would be the first two variations in the "four variations" image (and the thin border around the logo as used in between). The key was that "RECORDS (& TAPES)" was set in Optima Bold, unlike the Bell Centennial type font used in the current approximation of the old logo. The mid-to-late '80's version, I can pretty much do without.

Oh, and the "RECORDS & TAPES" logo variation was on very first pressings of the back cover of the Carpenters' Close To You (SP-4271).

On a related note, I've noticed records that maintained the classic old logo on the label even after the squarish 1984 version began to be used on covers and assorted packaging:

bullish.jpg

Was the squarish 1984 logo ever printed at the bottom of the silvery '70s label design? (Incidentally, this particular label looks mostly white with practically no silver at all!)

I think by this point the silver was one of those really low-key types. I've some 45 copies of Sister Janet Mead's "The Lord's Prayer" where this was the case.

Yes, the squarish 1984 logo was used on the 70s label design. Two examples would be Karla DeVito's "Wake 'Em Up in Tokyo" (SP 6-5048) and Marti Jones's "Unsophisticated Time" (SP 6-5086, and a superb record).

I remember being very dismayed the first time I saw that 80s logo, wondering why they messed with such a good thing. I never did warm up to it, and I was pleased when they brought back the one similar to the original, though, as noted in another post, they got the font wrong on "RECORDS".

Cheers,

Tom

Michael Hagerty said:
A&M's first 8-Tracks were manufactured by Ampex.

You're right about the black A&M-manufactured 8-tracks. I gave up for the longest time...don't think I tried A&M tapes again until 1973 and The Carpenters' "Now & Then" (because I just had to have side 2 in the car).

---Michael Hagerty
No.The early A&M 8tracks were manufactured by a company called ITCC.They handled the tapes for alot of indy/small labels.I have a WHIPPED CREAM cart from them.White shell,album cover on front,tracklist on the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom