• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Baja Marimba Band's 'As Time Goes By' is my fave...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't say it's a big favorite of mine, but (like a lot of albums) I haven't heard it in at least 25 years. I remember thinking "Spanish Flea" was pretty funny - it had the old Baja humor. The rest was a little too jazzy for my rock'n'roll ears. I should dig it out and give it another listen.

The cover is very different than expected for the BMB. It sort of lets you know that this is NOT going to be the typcial Baja album. It's a cool design though.

I also bought that album at a used record store in Ferndale, Michigan back in 2005 but i'm not sure which store it was. The record itself was clean & no scratches. Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Funny you should mention this album....just scored a copy last week on eBay, a white label promo....I have never heard the album, am I in for a treat?

I came to the Baja party late, but scored a promo copy of this album from my old radio station back in the day. I grabbed it because it was an A&M album, and it sat holding a place for years until I found A&M Corner and the discussion of things Baja.

I've made a nice needledrop of the album onto CD-R and listen to it every now and then. Actually, it IS among my favorite BMB albums.

Harry

This one is still on my 'wants' list. Keep meaning to get this one and the Bell LP too.

Might have to bite the ebay bullet...

This is the album I seem to always reach for when I'm in the mood for a little BMB. It never fails to make me happy.

Mike

sbsugar said:
Funny you should mention this album....just scored a copy last week on eBay, a white label promo....I have never heard the album, am I in for a treat?

I consider it the BMB's equivilant to the TJB's 'Warm'...I say you definately are in for a treat!

BTW..I heard for a fact that this was a very tough record for Julius to make..lots of production wars, etc. Also he was turned off to it because of that.

This is a great album. Comparing it to Warm makes a lot of sense, but I also want to compare it to Herb's Coney Island.

This album is a little bit more jazz influenced, but in the sense that Julius gets a little more blowing time, along with I'm guessing Roger Kellaway playing the piano parts and solos. Just based on that is a reason to dig this album. Aside from that, this album still has the old Baja flavor. Listening to Samba For Vicky; you might think you're listening to Cal Tjader or Milt Jackson, but then play As Time Goes By, Spanish Flea, Left Field, We've Only Just Begun, Big Noise From Encino, Dansero, Midnight Sun, and Jorjana # 1....you know it's Baja.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom