• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Corrs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Harry I miss all your updates on The Corrs. You always kept us up to date from Ran's old site with the Corrs Corner.

What has been happening with them. Any new Cd's or DVD's or singles? I haven't heard from them lately so I feel out of date although I still listen to there CD's I have.

The Corrs have been busy finalizing their next album, due out within the next few months. Over the past few months:

- they've done a few benefit concerts in their homeland, one to honor Nelson Mandela of South Africa.

- At Mandela's request, they performed at his 80th birthday celebration in South Africa.

- While in South Africa, they recorded 'something' with Ladysmith Black Mambaza (whom you might know from their work with Paul Simon on his Grammy-winning GRACELAND album). It's unclear whether this recording will feature on a Corrs product or an LBM album or single.

- The track that they did with Sheryl Crow on her Japan-only release of LIVE AT BUDOKAN somehow got deleted. They did a studio track backing her on her song "C'mon, C'mon", which was listed as a bonis track on that live album, but after several delays, the album was released without the track.

- Andrea Corr did an acting stint in a film called "The Boys From County Clare". An unfinished version played at Cannes Film Festival, and the finished version is slated for the Toronto Film Festival this fall. No date yet on wide release. In the film, Andrea plays a violinist, ironically enough. I guess she got a few pointers from sister Sharon.

- Caroline's son, born earlier this year is named Jake. His birth is one of the reasons that this new album has been so delayed.

I'll keep anyone interested up to date. Maybe Rudy can set up a separate Corrs forum like Ran did, if there's any interest.

Harry
...just back from Florida, online...

Thanks Harry for the updates. I guess with only 33 hits to this thread doesn't warrant it's own place. I think we had more interest when Ran's site was open.

I plan to look for there latest DVD The Best Of the Corrs. I never got that so I hope my local record shop has it. If not I guess I'll order online. I noticed there are alot of official videos on that DVD that I don't have.

Well, don't hestiate to post a thread when ever you hear some news about them especially when they release there next CD.

Thanks

The Best Of The Corrs is a pretty nifty DVD. It contains all of their official music videos to their songs with the last few from IN BLUE repeated in a 5.1 audio mix. There were a few of these that I hadn't seen at all when this finally arrived, and many that I'd only ever seen grainy, jumpy Internet versions of.

It was released in Region 1 only up in Canada, yet I've seen it in many stores here in the States, including recently the Virgin MegaStore in Orlando. It usually retails for around $24.99 US - less in Canada, but shipping usually brings you right back to that figure. It's well worth it in my opinion.

There are now some rumblings that the new album may be further delayed - all rumors, since nothing official has been mentioned, but as it's not showing currently on anyone's future releases, it's likely still a work in progress. I'll re-open this thread when any further news comes along.

Harry
...just starting the long weekend, online...

I see there is a DVD-Audio version of In Blue available. If it's like most DVD-A releases, it will have a high-res 2 channel version (96kHz/24bit or possibly 192/24), and a couple of surround mixes...one at a higher resolution for DVD-A players, and another that will play back at a lower resolution in standard DVD players. Haven't picked it up yet to verify, but the back of DVD-A releases will tell you the different versions and resolutions on the back cover.

Rudy your right, they do have a DVD Audio, unfortunately I never picked that one up since I already had In Blue on 2 different CD's & couldn't bring myself to get yet another one. I think this one also has a hidden bonus Music Video buried inside the DVD-Audio called Breathless. I think I heard Harry talk about that. Kinda neat to get a hidden video on something like that.

Olivia also put out a DVD-Audio called Back with a Heart 5.1, I've seen both The Corrs & Olivia's DVD-Audio's at my local Best Buy store, they have a whole section of these type of DVD-A.

The Corrs' In Blue DVD-Audio disc contains three complete different mixes of the album:

1. DVD-Audio, 6-channel discrete surround sound, 96 Khz/24-bit digital

2. 96 Khz/24-bit 2-channel stereo

3. Dolby Digital 5.1-channel surround sound

I've only heard the third one of these mixes as the first two require DVD-Audio hardware. The third plays in any DVD player.

Listening to the 5.1 mix is an interesting experience. The three 'Mutt Lange' written tracks have the vocals mixed in a surround fashion, with the backing vocals often swirling arounf you. Most of the other tracks are mixed in a more standard soundsatge setting, with Andrea's lead vocal clearly emanating from the front center channel.

I purchased this one as soon as it was released, and it was packaged in a standard-sized CD jewelcase. These days, I've seen it in a re-issued larger jewel case, more in line with other enhanced-audio product. The same thing occured with Herb's Passion Dance DTS disc. The first issue was standard sized, but it's now out in a larger format (which also gives credit the bonus track being a Lani Hall track from Brasil Nativo.

In playing In Blue on my standard DVD player, I can also see some video content - each track has a picture of one of the band with a written blurb about the origination of each song, in the band's own words. The bonus video of "Breathless" is indeed hidden, at least when using the 5.1 Surround mix. There's no menu to access it, but if you select 'Title 2' on your remote, it plays, widescreen and everything. The video that plays is the earlier video of "Breathless", while the one on the Best Of The Corrs DVD is the revised version. I tend to prefer the first version.

Harry
...one of at LEAST two or three resident Corrs geeks, online...

Harry said:
The bonus video of "Breathless" is indeed hidden, at least when using the 5.1 Surround mix. There's no menu to access it, but if you select 'Title 2' on your remote, it plays, widescreen and everything. The video that plays is the earlier video of "Breathless", while the one on the Best Of The Corrs DVD is the revised version. I tend to prefer the first version.

Harry
...one of at LEAST two or three resident Corrs geeks, online...

Harry, is the video version on the DVD-Audio the same one that's included on the Lansdowne Road VHS? This is the version that was released in Europe, Canada and Australia. The later, "revised" video was created for the US market. It's strange that this version showed up on the Best Of DVD, which wasn't even released in the US. I also prefer the original version.

Murray
... one of the "resident Corrs geeks"... :D

Murray said:
Harry, is the video version on the DVD-Audio the same one that's included on the Lansdowne Road VHS? This is the version that was released in Europe, Canada and Australia.

Yes, the same one as on the Live At Lansdowne Road VHS. That was the original video, and it really WAS released here. I recall seeing it a few times on VH-1 and Nickelodeon when "Breathless" was first released as a single.

You're right: that revised version, which seemed to be targeted to the US was the one ultimately put onto the Best Of The Corrs DVD. I recall a lot of questions/confusions from European fans over that, many claiming they'd never seen it before.

I find it even stranger that the 'revised' video didn't use the remixed version of the song, also done for the US market. But then again, there's a lot of strange things about the marketing of The Corrs on this continent!

(Oh, and by the way, there are two issues of that DVD-Audio disc. The US one has the 'blue' picture on the cover, while the international disc uses their 'pink' picture. I'm pretty sure that the contents are the same, and that there is no region coding.)

Harry
...hoping for a more concentrated effort in North America with the next album (but not holding his breath!), online...

It's good that they don't use region encoding on DVD-Audio...not a good way to start off a new format! Only DVD-Audio uses those bizarre larger jewel cases (where the heck do I store these now??)...SACD wisely sticks to standard CD-sized jewel cases, but they are a more durable variety with rounded corners. The only SACDs I've seen so far that don't use the new case are the newest remasters of the Rolling Stones catalog, which don't even advertise the fact that they are hybrid dual-layer SACDs. (Not even the price. :wink: )

Good news is, the new formats may get a small boost in popularity. Pioneer just came out with a new universal DVD-A/SACD player, the DV-563a, which has a street price under $200. I prefer the "universal" idea since you can pretty much play any kind of silver disc in it--CD, DVD-Video, DVD-Audio, SACD, MP3 discs, Video CDs, and even photo CDs. Means I can reduce my disc player population. NOW if it only came in a 300-disc changer... :wink:

Well I went shopping today at 2 records stores and also Barnes & Noble looking for the DVD The Best of the Corrs-complete videos. But no luck, all I could find was the Live in London DVD but I already have that one.

So I guess I will have to order online. :sad:

I've pretty much been ordering everything online recently. I just find that the selection is more plentiful, and I can get the items quickly enough. All we have locally are a bunch of mass marketers who have the top titles, but the lesser-known titles are either special order or nobody has ever heard of them.

Hey Rudy, I agree ordering online is the easiest & for sure way of getting what you want but for me sometimes it's so impersonable.

It would have been cool to think back years & say oh I remember where I was when I got that Corrs DVD or yeah I remember running into someone at the mall when I purchased this...etc.... you know what I mean.

It's like when I purchased the Karen Carpenter solo CD, I remember where I was & how I reacted in my local record shop picking it up in my own hands. Well I had my own little Carpenters moment right there in the middle of that shop, got a few glances from people like ok..that guy is really strange... :shock:

:D

Yeah, I remember some good times when buying all those LPs back in the 70's' and 80's...for some, I can even remember which sale was on at Harmony House. :wink: Or picking up a new release at Sam's Jams for $4.95 when new LPs usually sold for $8.98.

Unfortunately, the kind of music I'm buying these days is nearly impossible to find in the mass-market stores around here. And my taste in films is outside the Target/Best Buy sphere of knowledge. Vinyl hunts are still a blast--I can spend hours just browsing through vinyl, reading the jackets even on titles I have no intention of buying. :)

SACD and DVD-A is another hornet's nest--the mass marketers, the few that carry them, are clueless. Circuit City had literally a dozen each of DVD-A and SACD product in puny wire racks next to the ONLY players they carried in the store. Best Buy fared a little better, but aside from being full list price on most titles (more expensive than the online retailers), the Peter Gabriel SACDs were in with the DVD-A section, while other SACD titles were in the regular CD bins throughout the store. New releases in high-res? Forget it...they never have them on release day, if at all. (No Steely Dan Gaucho last week Tuesday! :mad: ) Anyone wanting to buy these is having the best luck online.

Vinyl is a mixed bag though...I've searched for two decades to find the 10" Epic EP of Moondog & His Friends. Finally, I found one on eBay that was affordable, and lucked into it. These really are rare, so fortunately I got my winning bid for less than half of the same title a week earlier that closed for over $150.

And the bottom line: if more shops carried music that I liked, I'd still be patronizing their establishments. But with the big retailers pushing the moms and pops out of business, it's hard for me to find a decent store to buy CDs locally at anymore. Darn shame really!

You know, I am not at all familiar with The Corrs. However, after hearing Harry talk about them for so long, I'm tempted to check 'em out this afternoon when I take my niece to Tower Records. Hey! If they're good enough for our Harry, I'll bet they're good enough for me!! :wink:

Jon

...ready for a new listening experience, online...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
Well I went shopping today at 2 records stores and also Barnes & Noble looking for the DVD The Best of the Corrs-complete videos. But no luck, all I could find was the Live in London DVD but I already have that one.

So I guess I will have to order online. :sad:

I saw Best Of The Corrs DVD today at a local Suncoast Home Video store in a mall. Import, of course, - priced at about $25.99. Not a bad price for an import DVD.

Harry
...on a bit of a break at work, online...

brasil_nut said:
You know, I am not at all familiar with The Corrs. However, after hearing Harry talk about them for so long, I'm tempted to check 'em out this afternoon when I take my niece to Tower Records. Hey! If they're good enough for our Harry, I'll bet they're good enough for me!! :wink:

...ready for a new listening experience, online...

Watch out - they're habit forming! :)

Harry
...who's been a bit Corrs-deprived this week, online...

Harry said:

They are at that! Very talented and highly musical. Not bad to look at, either. I may just have to get a DVD of them myself. Hubba Hubba! :wink:

Capt. Bacardi
...dirty old man online...

Harry said:

Harry
...who's been a bit Corrs-deprived this week, online...

Alas! We only made it as far as Target last evening. I never did get to hear The Corrs. We plan on going next week when I get back from my four-day trip. Truth be told, from all I've heard, I'm looking forward to it!

Jon

...with something to look forward to, online...

Jon, you won't be dissapointed, please tell us what you think, I'm curious. When I first started listening to them, I was amazed at how well there harmonies blended, they really reminded me of the Carpenters in alot of ways, not only are they a brother/sisters group, they all play their own instruments. Very Cool!!!

I think the first song I heard of there's was from the album, Forgiven, Not Forgotten, I saw the video first on the web called, "The Right Time" I knew there was something special that I had to find out more about.

So I went & purchased the CD. I was very impressed with that CD. Of course I had to have more so next was, In Blue, All I can say was it was that CD In Blue that totally hooked me then, I actually did things out of order as far as buying there CD's. I actually have In Blue with the 3 exclusive bonus tracks and I beleive it had a hidden bonus video included of Breathless you could access from the Web but I'm not sure if it still works as this Cd has been out a while now.

I also got another IN BLue Special Edition CD that included 2 Discs, 1 is the usual In Blue Cd & the 2nd is a bonus of 7 ACOUSTIC tracks not released before, really really cool to hear them without instruments, SHOWS HOW REALLY TALENTED THEY ARE VOCALLY. and it also contained a bonus track #8 called So Young-Live Version from concert.

Next I had to get Talk On Corners , I actually wanted to hunt down the hard to find Original TOC CD (with the autum colors on the cover cause they had the original version of the songs (no remxes) Which I finally found after my long search. It was so worth it cause on this original TOC CD I have included a Bonus CD of 5 Live Tracks taken from Live in Concert from various places. Highly Recomended this one.

Then I had to get the Talk on Corners (Special Edition) This one is more readily available but still has alot of really cool remixes.

Next I bought The Corrs Unplugged CD, One of my favorites also It's like a MTV type Unplugged where you hear them in a real natural setting, great CD, I love, Everybody Hurts & No Frontiers & Old Town is excellent.

Then I bought a few single CD's cause they had bonus tracks not available anywhere. One called "Give me a Reason" Includes Rebel Heart a Remix that is so so cool. The 2nd I have is a single called "Would You Be Happier" again another bonus track live version of Beatles song, Long & Winding Road"

My last official CD is the VH1 "Live in Dublin" Again another of my favorites cause I first watched the TV Special then I had to get the CD, Some really great duets on that one.

I also have 2 DVD's Live in London & Live at Royal Albert Hall.

Well I hope you can see that I really enjoy there music, thanks in part to Harry for getting me hooked. :D

...waiting for the next released CD and still waiting for my DVD-Best Of the Corrs.

This thread has given me the impetus to give some Corrs discs a few spins lately. I've delved into the two main different Talk On Corners releases, the original mix and the 'Special Edition' remix album. I'm still puzzled as to why Atlantic would change the album so drastically for US release. I can understand the remixes - they were looking for a heavier beat to perhaps win over the tougher US crowd - but the deletion of three tracks makes no sense. If they thought that the three slower, more melodic tracks that they deleted were messing up the flow, then why not just tack them on the end of the album, perhaps even as 'bonus tracks.'

Anyway, it was that shorter 'Special Edition' version of the album that won me over, so I guess it's not so bad afterall.

Harry
NP: Talk On Corners - The Corrs

Was that album released specifically as a "remix album", or just a different mix for a different market?

This is as far from The Corrs as you can get, but Rob Zombie, on the past couple of release (one White Zombie, the other just solo Rob Zombie), had released a standard album, followed a year later by a specific "remix album" where guest remix artists came in and put their signature stamp on the remixes. He's astute enough to know the difference between good and garbage remixes (he wanted reinterpretations of his songs, not just a remix for remixing's sake)...in contrast to another CD I purchased many years ago that supposedly featured "remixes" of Diana Ross's late 70's and 80's era songs. From the way the CD was billed, I thought it was a compilation of disco and/or dance remixes from 12" singles that had been released over the years. Instead, I listened to some truly horrible remixes that were suitable more for the hip-hop crowd than anyone musically inclined.

Rudy said:
Was that album released specifically as a "remix album", or just a different mix for a different market?

As far as I can tell, the songs that were remixed were done with the blessings of The Corrs. One of them, "What Can I Do?", has even seen its arrangement adapted by The Corrs in concert. The original mix featured a sampled 'doo-doo-dooo' opening, but the remix begins with a nifty guitar riff. In concert, they'll extend it by doing the 'doo-doo-dooo' opening and THEN begin the guitar riff.

Three of the tracks were remixed by 'name' European mixers (K-Klass and Tin Tin Out). Then they repeated their 'big' song from their first album, "Runaway", but had it remixed by Tin Tin Out. The original piano backing was replaced by a guitar. Finally, The Corrs themselves remixed their song that they wrote with Carole Bayer Sager, "I Never Loved You Anyway." Though not labelled on the disc as a remix, it is indeed different from the original mix.

I'm not sure of the sequence of events regarding this release. I think it was a case of the album being released in Europe in its original form (13 tracks). Then they had a big hit in the UK with a remake of Fleetwood Mac's "Dreams", done for a tribute album. It was such a big hit, that Warner re-released Talk On Corners with "Dreams" included. I'm not sure if either of those were officially released here or whether fans or record stores imported them or brought them over from Canada, but the album CAN be found here, though it's pretty scarce.

It was, I believe, sometime in the following year (1999) that they released this US remix version. There was yet another version of the remix album done for the international community, and this one features ALL of the songs that were originally on Talk On Corners, plus the added "Runaway" remix.

Then you've got the other versions released in other countries with bonus tracks and so forth, and it all gets pretty complicated. I count seven different iterations of Talk On Corners in my collection with 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 and more tracks!

Harry
NP: "Down In The River To Pray" Alison Krauss and Union Station from O Brother, Where Art Thou

Harry said:
I'll keep anyone interested up to date. Maybe Rudy can set up a separate Corrs forum like Ran did, if there's any interest.

YOU could actually do that, if'n I showed ya how. :wink: Dunno--if there's enough interest, no problemo. Or, just preface the subject with something like "CORRS: " and that would make it stand out as well. :)

For now, I suppose we can continue to use this thread or start a new one. If things pick up, we can always add a forum if it's deemed necessary.

And if anyone demands an A&M connection, I've got a couple: The song "Intimacy" from the original Talk On Corners was recorded at both Mullholland Studios and A&M Studios. :) And The Corrs did a tune with Sheryl Crow that almost made her Japanese Live At The Budokan album but was deleted at the last minute. :sad:

Harry
...who thinks that if The Corrs had come along years ago, they'd've found a home at the family atmosphere at A&M Records, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom