The First Remastered TJB Album Is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven J. Gross

Knew that would get your attention!
If they begin to re-release the TJB catalog, which one should be first?
I'll start by voting for "Warm".

I would say the first reissue we'll see is BEAT THE BRASS (yes, this time, I mean, BEAT OF THE BRASS, not THE BRASS ARE COMIN' :laugh: ) followed by WARM, as aforementioned. These seemed two be to of the group's greatest LPs, so I think it's only natural that they'd put them out first. Personally, I wouldn't mind see bonus tracks, while we're dreaming here. While we're on the subject, what would you like to see the CD booklets showcase, the original linear notes and artwork, or new linear notes perhaps telling the history of each song? Either or would be fine with me. As long as the CDs don't display one black and white photo and the familiar notice on all early CD reissues that reads: "The Compact Disc Digital Audio System offers, on a convenient sound-carrier, state-of-the-art sound reproduction. The Compact Disc's superior performance is due to laser-optical scanning, combined with digital playback and is independent of the technology used in making the original recording". :tongue:
-alpertfan...continuing to daydream online.

My gut feeling is that if anything ever does come out, it will be WHIPPED CREAM and GOING PLACES first. Those were the biggest sellers, and are often referred to as the definitive TJB albums. I could also surmise that THE LONELY BULL and SOUTH OF THE BORDER would likely be next in line, maybe followed by WHAT NOW MY LOVE if they get that far. Then BEAT OF THE BRASS, only because of the the "This Guy's..." influence. That only leaves VOLUME 2 from the original set of US releases, so if they follow that pattern it would probably appear.

My hopes are that the release depth goes farther and gives us all proper remasters of SRO, SOUNDS LIKE, NINTH, WARM and BRASS ARE COMIN' as well. the CHRISTMAS ALBUM would be nice too. If those are released, I'll be a happy camper.

Harry
...hoping that whatever does show up is better than what's out there, online...

It's gonna happen- maybe sooner than later. Labels like the element of surprise. I think they will actually turn a tidy profit from it. :D
I guess the logical firsts will be Whipped Cream, Going Places, BOTB, and hopefully the whole catalog. :wink:

No clue here--I'd HOPE for the whole catalog, of course. If they were to release the whole catalog, they would either do it chronologically, or release it all in one batch. However, if they were only to reissue selected titles, you can bet the historically biggest sellers will get reissued first. If there is sufficient interest, the "lesser" albums would be released following those.

Whipped Cream and Other Delights, followed by Going Places, What Now My Love, SRO, Beat of the Brass and South of the Border. I hope they include some additional shots of the whipped cream girl. Tomorrow marks my 53rd birthday, so I am offically a dirty old man!

Clark said:
Whipped Cream and Other Delights, followed by Going Places, What Now My Love, SRO, Beat of the Brass and South of the Border. I hope they include some additional shots of the whipped cream girl. Tomorrow marks my 53rd birthday, so I am offically a dirty old man!

Heeheehee... :laugh: So what does that make you today...a dirty middle-aged man? :wink:

Would be interesting to see a few outtakes from that photo session...or maybe just some other photos of Dolores during that era.

Rudy said:
Would be interesting to see a few outtakes from that photo session...or maybe just some other photos of Dolores during that era.

It would be nice if the two biggies, WHIPPED CREAM and GOING PLACES maybe got a 'Special Edition' treatment with extended liner notes, track-by-track annotation, extra photos and maybe an outtake or two as bonus tracks, with both mono and stereo versions. I know...I'm dreaming.

Harry
...wishful thinking, online...

Here is my list of the first few in order of release...1) Whipped Cream 2) Going Places 3) SRO 4) Sounds Like 5) Herb Alpert's Ninth 6) Beat of The Brass.

Tom :D

I'd prefer they do the whole batch at once or two a month in chronological order -- up to and including the two 1974's You Smile -- The Song Begins and 1975's Coney Island. And hopefully he won't stop there --I'd love a CD of 1976's Just You & Me and the two Masekela collaborations (the first of which did get a CD release, and is probably the most played of my Alpert CDs). Those five albums could also yield a hell of a lot of bonus material: Single B-Sides, live material and alternate versions.

--Mr Bill

Mr Bill- I would bet they will do it the way you suggest. Seems like most re-issue programs these days are done that way.....one or two albums at a time, chronologically. (Recent example -- Chicago, on the Rhino label.)

I think they'll issue the whole Tijuana Brass catalog, if they do any of it. They know there are completists out here. I would hope that Herb will take the whole catalog to "whoever" and say "It's all or nothing."

I have lower hopes for the "T.J.B." albums. They weren't hot sellers, and many "Tijuana Brass" fans don't even know they exist, unfortunately.

Still, I hold out hope for the whole Herb catalog to come out, including the solo albums. I mean, if Pearl Jam can release CDs for every concert it does, surely the biggest selling instrumental artist of all time can put out all of his albums!

Harry said:
My hopes are that the release depth goes farther and gives us all proper remasters of SRO, SOUNDS LIKE, NINTH, WARM and BRASS ARE COMIN' as well. the CHRISTMAS ALBUM would be nice too. If those are released, I'll be a happy camper.

I'm with Harry on this one. No reason they shouldn't release the entire catalogue from "Lonely Bull" clear through the last TJB release. Seems the prudent thing to do. And, like Harry, I'd like to see SRO, NINTH and BRASS ARE COMIN' right there along with everything else.

My favorites have always been (though all TJB albums have something of merit): WHAT NOW MY LOVE, GOING PLACES, SRO, HERB ALPERT'S NINTH, THE BEAT OF THE BRASS and WHIPPED CREAM.

Jon

...with a gut feeling that we have something great to look forward to, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom