• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Karen Carpenter Story (Laserdisc)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

Has anyone ever seen one of these before? I didn't even know it existed. Didn't this come out on VHS too?

I remember when this came out on TV and I had to rush home to set my VHS tape recorder. I think there was a rare insert on CBS of Richard either introducing it or at the end talking briefly about her illness and helping others. Many years later it appeared on my local cable networks, (commercial free) like Starz or Movieplex something like that and I taped it digitally on my HD recorder then transfered it to a DVR so I have a pretty excellent copy for myself. Still I would say this is a collectors item.

The description is obviously from someone who doesn't know about the movie, there throwing rice at Karen's wedding not at Richard and Karen. LOL Read the description if you want to get a laugh.

Copying the notes on this listing for reference here....if someone buys it, it will disappear.

THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY (TV MOVIE - 1988)

Format: LASERDISC (NTSC)

Label: PIONEER / WEINTRAUB

Date of laserdisc release: circa 1989

Description: RARELY SEEN, UNBELIEVABLY BAD, CHEESY LATE 80s TV DOCUDRAMA TELLING THE TRAGIC STORY OF KAREN CARPENTER. LONG-SUPRESSED JAPAN-ONLY LASERDISC RELEASE - THIS WILL NEVER COME OUT OFFICIALLY EVER AGAIN, SO GRAB IT HERE WHILE YOU CAN IN GREAT QUALITY! NICE PACKAGE DESIGN WITH OBI INTACT; JACKET FEATURES ODD STILLS OF ACTORS PORTRAYING KAREN & RICHARD POSING LIKE A COUPLE, NOT BROTHER & SISTER. CONFUSINGLY, THERE'S EVEN A WEDDING SHOT WITH PEOPLE THROWING RICE AT THEM. A HIGH WATER MARK IN BAD TASTE. A MUST HAVE FOR SERIOUS COLLECTORS.

OWN THE ONLY OFFICIALLY RELEASED VERSION OF THIS MOVIE! DON'T SETTLE FOR THOSE CHEAP LOOKING DVD BOOTLEGS - THIS IS THE REAL THING!

REMEMBER- THIS IS A DRAMATIC STORY WITH ACTORS PORTRAYING THE CARPENTERS - NOT THE ACTUAL GROUP!

Condition (Sleeve/Disc/Disc): EX/EX (includes EX OBI strip)

Video Standard: NTSC

I seem to recall that there was another official release - maybe a Japanese VHS or an early region-coded Japanese DVD - I'm not sure about the latter - I may be confusing it with the Budokan show. My recording from TV has the Richard Carpenter addendum, the CBS feature called "Read More About It."

Richard is seated in a theater setting wearing a gray sweater, and tells the audience about a couple of books on the subjects of anorexia nervosa and bulimia. It's only about 10-15 seconds long, but it's a nice conclusion to the movie.

Harry

I'm not sure how long these photos will last but thought I would post them since they are nice photos of the cover art.

$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7ty!VTBRnHTPYcf!~~60_57.JPG

$(KGrHqJHJEkFGL!,SqGhBRnHT(te9!~~60_57.JPG

Does anyone even have a Laserdisc player?!

They should put it on BluRay...but it won't happen in Richard's lifetime.

There's a small cult following of the LaserDisc format where folks buy, sell, and trade discs and working players. The last part is getting to be the hardest as new players haven't really been made in over a decade.

LaserDiscs are 12" record sized platters, made of similar materials to CDs and DVDs, so they're shiny like that. Though they used digital audio, the video was analog. And part of the attraction is that the digital audio is uncompressed. Many of the LaserDisc fans are audiophiles who really appreciate the sound encoded on these discs. DVDs all have compressed audio - Blu-ray generally returns to uncompressed audio, though not always. It depends on the title.

We still have a couple of working LaserDisc players, though we don't watch them that often. The video leaves a lot to be desired in today's HDTV world, which really highlights the flaws in the LaserDisc picture. I have all of the Carpenters titles released in the format: YESTERDAY ONCE MORE, INTERPRETATIONS, and LIVE AT BUDOKAN. This one is new to me. I'll have to look around for a cheaper alternative than this one. It's not worth $200 IMHO.

Harry

I was a collector years and years ago but I gave it up, even sold my Pioneer Laserdisc Player, my player sold within hours, it was a higher end player as it played both sides A/B without having to open it and turn it, the player would play both sides just by hitting button on remote, I know alot of players did not have that function. I primarily got into it because of the rarity at the time and there were alot of releases exclusive to Laserdisc providing a digital picture quality compared to VHS.

I still have about 20-25 laserdiscs that I did not sell off, keeping them only for the large artwork that makes for displaying well in LP frames. I really miss the large artwork that LP's gave us and Laserdiscs were the same size. It's funny cause alot of the public get confused, thinking it's an LP and will play audio like an LP but this is not the case, it will not play on a turntable.

There were alot of releases from Olivia Newton-John that were only released on VHS and Laserdisc and if you wanted the best picture possible you opted for the Laserdisc. They are big collectible items. Her "Physical" VHS tape (a collection of videos) only came out on VHS and Laserdisc, this show was a condensed version of the tv show that aired with the same videos minus her talking inbetween them, there was also videos released only on VHS and Laserdisc of, Twist of Fate (collections of videos), Soul Kiss (collection of videos), Down Under (movie that aired on HBO TV) and Olivia (TV special that featured Abba & Andy Gibb). In the past few years Olivia released a DVD Gold 1 & 2 with a collection of videos that covered most of what had been only on VHS and Laserdisc. However, early shows like the Olivia special with Abba and Andy Gibb and her Physical and Down Under special have never been released on DVD so to get some of these in the best video quality, Laserdisc is the only offering, hence the reason there is a cult following and demand. The Japan audience was huge for Olivia's Laserdisc. MCA Discovision was the name for Olivia's releases on Laserdisc.

I know I'm going off topic a bit but something interesting to note that on Olivia's recent box set from Japan, 40th Anniv, along with all of the albums, they also included a bonus DVD disc and on it were rare videos never actually released on a DVD before. These included tracks taken from the Laserdisc of Olivia (the tv special with Abba and Andy Gibb) I believe there are 3 tracks and watching it one can see the specks popping in and out. Laserdisc owners will know what I am speaking of, it's a dead giveaway to know it was copied from a Laserdisc, still it is pretty excellent picture quality. It's enough to get this fan's heart pumping. :love:

That's part of the mystique of LaserDiscs these days in that some titles were released in that format and never again. Titles like The Beatles' LET IT BE fetch big bucks when they can be found. I have a couple of fairly sought-after discs, like the Japanese Disney disc of SONG OF THE SOUTH and another Japanese STAR WARS THE PHANTOM MENACE, since the movie was altered for DVD release.

My disc of THE VERY BEST OF HERB ALPERT is one of my prized possessions along with the Carpenters BUDOKAN disc. We also have a bunch of Disney discs that we've held onto.

Harry

As you know, Harry, I'm a BIG Disney fan (mostly of the theme parks having grown up with Disneyland in my backyard). Song of the South is probably the most talked about Disney movie on the Disney boards I am part of.

Oh I'm sure it is. It's discussed many places because of its rarity as a LaserDisc and its controversial nature regarding racial sensitivity. I wanted it because of our love of Disney and because I'd never seen it. It's funny, I remember seeing it in a LaserDisc store when it was a new import and they wanted $100 for it.

Later on, when I wished I'd bought it, I found it on eBay for $200. Suddenly it was worth twice what I could have paid!

Harry

I bought the Yesterday Once More laserdisc w/o even owning a player. I played it once on a friends machine and ever since then it's been packed away. Other than the novelty, I have absolutely no use for this now.

Didn't the Yesterday Once More Laserdisc come with the extra video of "I Need to be in Love" or am I mistaking that for the DVD release from Japan.

I'm happy to finally get that video "I Need to be in Love" in digital format on the Bonus DVD from the 40th anniv Carpenters box set

I've got the Laserdisc of "Yesterday Once More", too. Still sealed, so I've never had the opportunity to watch it. It's just the standard line-up of songs from the VHS and DVD.

I think it was INTERPRETATIONS on LaserDisc that had an extra track - just a repeat of the "Close To You" video. None of them had the rogue "I Need To Be In Love" video. Richard hates that one so much that it's only found on the expensive 40th box set DVD - with commentary!

Harry

I would love to hear Richard's commentary, but I don't have that 40th anniversary set. Guess I should buckle down and spend a year's salary and buy it.

Well, after seeing this thread, I searched around and found a copy of the KAREN CARPENTER STORY on LaserDisc from a seller in Japan. It arrived today, which is uncommonly fast from Japan using EMS shipment. Though the seller listed the disc as used, it appeared brand new to me, still sealed in its poly-bag.

The program is just what appeared on the US telecast, but without the opening promo or CBS Tuesday/Sunday Movie openings. I didn't check the end, but I'm pretty sure the "Read All About It" feature is not present. What *is* present is hard-coded Japanese subtitles. The picture appears a bit sharper than my old VHS conversion, but the subtitles are the turn-off here. Thankfully, I didn't pay anywhere near what the eBay seller above is selling it for.

Harry
...with another title for the collection, online...

Harry, that's cool you were able to find a copy, too bad about the subtitles but that seems pretty consistent since this is a Japan release. Did the copy you have include the Obi strip? Harry, did you know there is a place in that movie where you can clearly see Richard in the movie, I think it's the part where Mitchell Anderson is playing piano in a soundbooth and you see Richard in the background. It's really quick though. I would think with the laserdisc in pause it would be easy to see.

I think it's also fitting to post Richard's response on the Fan's Ask Questions on the official site when asked about this movie. I wonder if his decision has changed at all with time?

Q ~ “Were you pleased with the outcome of the 1989 ‘The Karen Carpenter Story’?”
A(Richard) ~ “Heavens no, I was not pleased. It’s not a good film. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was agreeing to cooperate in the making of it. It brings to mind the old adage 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'.“

I never thought it was a bad movie.

As a side note, here is a listing I was talking about earlier showing the out of print DVD of Yesterday Once More that includes track # 13. I Need To Be In Love

I think it's also fitting to post Richard's response on the Fan's Ask Questions on the official site when asked about this movie. I wonder if his decision has changed at all with time?

Q ~ “Were you pleased with the outcome of the 1989 ‘The Karen Carpenter Story’?”
A(Richard) ~ “Heavens no, I was not pleased. It’s not a good film. One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was agreeing to cooperate in the making of it. It brings to mind the old adage 'The road to hell is paved with good intentions'.“

I never thought it was a bad movie.

Whether we like the movie or not, Richard included, you can't deny that it brought the issue of anorexia nervosa to the public once again, as well as providing a whole new generation with an introduction to Carpenters music.

Richard appears in the movie during the song, "This Masquerade" in the background studio. I wonder if Harry could grab a screen capture from the digital version on the laserdisc. :bow:

Just wondered if your laserdisc was any better picture quality than my version from Encore movie channel. Here is a snap I just took from my DVD-R. Probably losing a bit quality due to snaping from VLC player.

It's kinda surreal that Richard is watching himself, live.

KarenCarpenterStoryRichardBackground.jpg

I wonder why this was never released on an official DVD? Why no U.S release?

I believe the moments right before this picture was snapped when you see just his hands playing this song, they are really Richard's hands.

Well, if Richard feels so negatively towards the final result, I suppose, as producer, he has some say in its release, so it's been left in the vault. That's the reason I decided to spring for a LaserDisc. I haven't bought one in probably a decade, but this seemed like something I should have. It cost me around $50, but considering its rarity, I think it was worth it.

In the weeks ahead, I'll get around to transferring it to DVD since the picture is sharper than the old VHS copy.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom