• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

"The Look Of Love" Single

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Bacardi

I received a neat little promo CD single of "The Look Of Love" (from Colors) in the mail today. I got it from GEMM. It's Almo AMS5P-8086. It has three versions - a radio edit, the album version and another radio edit without the vocals. The radio edits have the trumpet parts all over the place, much different from the album version. One of the more tolerable songs from the album, although I still don't care for how the vocals were mixed.

Capt. Bacardi

I always wondered how an A&M "Look Of Love" compilation would sound. A lot of artists did that song, and your CD adds fuel to that particular fire.

Harry

Harry said:
I always wondered how an A&M "Look Of Love" compilation would sound. A lot of artists did that song, and your CD adds fuel to that particular fire.

Off the top of my head I know that it was done by Burt Bacharach (obviously), Claudine Longet, Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, and now Herb (although technically on ALMO). How many other A&Mers did it?

Capt. Bacardi

Off the top of MY head, I could add Liza Minnelli and Pete Jolly. Weren't there others? Or am I confusing it with that other oft-performed song on the label, "Wave"?

Harry
..who needs some hairs shortened on the top of his head, online...

Mr Bill said:
Didn't Chris Montez and/or the Sandpipers do it too?

--Mr Bill

The Sandpipers...No.

Chris Montez...Yes.

On his LP, WATCH WHAT HAPPENS!

Dave
It's A Great Life!

So far:

Burt Bacharach
Claudine Longet
Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66
Herb Alpert
Liza Minnelli
Pete Jolly
Baja Marimba Band
Chris Montez

Though not on A&M, I'd consider adding in the Dusty Springfield version because:

a) Burt produced it
b) it's one of the definitive versions of the song
c) the soundtrack album it's from contains Herb Alpert

One more and we'd have ten - almost enough for a semi-complete album. I suppose we could add in a live version or two from Mendes or Bacharach.

Any more?

Harry
...wondering, online...

Though recorded for Stax, singer Isaac Hayes did the long version of "The Look Of Love" back in 1970 from "...To Be Continued" which runs at 11 minutes & 7 seconds: 11:07. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

AM Matt said:
Though recorded for Stax, singer Isaac Hayes did the long version of "The Look Of Love" back in 1970 from "...To Be Continued" which runs at 11 minutes & 7 seconds: 11:07. Matthew Clark Sanford, Michigan

Isn't TO BE CONTINUED... a Live album? I remember Isaac Hayes doing "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" as a medley with another song.

I had an album by The Living Voices that had a version of "The Look Of Love" on it, too.

Dave

The album or CD "...To Be Continued" is studio. The song "By The Time I Get To Phoenix" is from "Hot Buttered Soul". Matt

Harry said:
Though not on A&M, I'd consider adding in the Dusty Springfield version because:

a) Burt produced it
b) it's one of the definitive versions of the song
c) the soundtrack album it's from contains Herb Alpert

I'd definitely make sure it was the soundtrack version--I heard another version she did, a re-recording, that just totally lost the feel. She's the only one I've ever heard "nail" the true meaning of the song in that version (seductive come-on, not pop fluff). It's the only one I care for anymore.

Other than Diana Krall's version (where John Pisano plays on the album), can't think of any others.

manifan said:
The Lettermen (on Capitol) did a beautiful version of it too.

Yes, I like the way they've done it, myself. And what songs didn't The Lettermen do? :badteeth:

Dave :freak:

...with a Whole Lotta' "Look O' Love"... :love:

The new CD by Chris Botti has The Look of Love on it. The CD is called "A Thousand Kisses."

There is both trumpet and a vocal - not Botti on the vocal - on this arrangement.

Like most of Botti's other recordings, it is done in his particular style, so you would most likely either like it or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom