The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

The sealed Ghost in the Machine got another play late yesterday and I have to change my opinion about it--it actually sounds pretty good. Maybe my ears were off or something else was up, but it sounds as clean as I remember it.

Listening to the Mobile Fidelity SACD version:

1709656429389.png

Best digital version I've heard thus far. The DCC sounds good in the mids but the bass always disappointed me--it didn't have the "meat" that my original US pressing had. This MoFi version boogies. Up to "Jamie's Cryin'" at the moment. 🎸

Got some Dire Straits SACDs from Mobile Fidelity to listen to later. I already had Brothers in Arms but almost never play it since I got so burned out on it. But Love Over Gold is a favorite, and I am waiting on On Every Street in the near future. I already have a good cut of Love Over Gold on vinyl (mastered by Chris Bellman) but MoFi has all the Dire Straits at 45 RPM so my favorites from those are on a future wishlist.

Cool album! Vital Information, Where We Come From. Vital Information is drummer Steve Smith's long-running band, and this 1998 release departs from what the group has done in the past. Typically, the VI albums were like a hard-edged jazz fusion, but this one gets its inspiration from the title. In other words, it's the music they grew up listening to and playing, so the mood shifts to soul jazz and early 70s fusion like Jimmy Smith, Lonnie Smith, Tony Williams' Lifetime, etc., with a nod to 60s and 70s jazz like Dave Brubeck and Ornette Coleman, which makes it fun to listen to. Even the cover features pictures of the band members from their past.

1709740087669.png

"Take Eight" is like a groovy spinoff of Brubeck's "Take Five" and "008" is a play on a "spy" theme vaguely reminiscent of the original James Bond theme. An outsider here is "Moby Dick," the Led Zeppelin song, and other covers include Ornette Coleman's "Happy House" and Jaco Pastorius' "Blow Fish Blues." Most of the remaining tracks are by Steve Smith.

I hate compilations like this...

1709747810208.png

...since I end up with a dozen more records on my wantlist. 😁

It's a good way to dig into the archives and sample a few things without having to hear the entire album. So far, it's been fairly good, starting off with a Bobbi Humphrey track I already have, "You Make Me Feel So Good."

Jazzanova is a German DJ/mix collaborative, who compiled this collection. Sound quality is odd though--like it was all run through a limiter, so it has kind of an FM-radio quality to it (squashed dynamics). Thankfully I could reassemble the same playlist, much better sounding, using a Qobuz playlist from the original albums.

It's a convenient way to explore the archives and sample tracks without listening to the entire album. The compilation started off well with a Bobbi Humphrey track I already had, "You Make Me Feel So Good."

Jazzanova, a German DJ/mix collaborative, compiled this collection. However, the sound quality seems off, like it was run through a limiter, giving it a squashed dynamics or FM-radio quality. Fortunately, I was able to assemble a better-sounding playlist using a Qobuz playlist from the original albums.

Back to my early morning listening routine and just going with the alphabetical flow has landed me in a whole lotta Chet Baker (11 albums in a row whose titles begin with "Chet" or "Chet Baker").

So far, "Chet", "Chet Baker & Crew" have been tremendous (I've heard most of the selections over the years) and am midway through "Chet Baker & Strings", which is not as syrupy as I feared.

Nik Bärtsch has released an EP in honor of 1,000 Montags (Mondays) at his club EXIL in Zurich, Switzerland. (Bärtsch, or members of his groups, have performed there consecutively for over 19 year every Monday evening, most of them livestreamed in recent years.)

The Ronin Rhythm Clan was a rare expanded lineup of Bärtsch's Ronin group. Ronin of late has been Bärtsch on piano, Sha on bass clarinet and sax, lifelong sidekick Kaspar Rast on drums, and on this recording, Thomy Jordi (who appeared on the last Ronin album Awase) on bass. Expanding the lineup for the "Clan" are three additional horns and a guitar. This is a two-track, 24 minute EP featuring "Modul 22" and "Modul 42."

Moonday is a private Ronin Rhythm Records release, and can be found on Bandcamp.

1710203229435.png

He and the current Ronin (Sha, Rast, and Jeremias Keller on bass) are playing a small number of gigs in the US. The closest to me is in Cleveland in less than two weeks (where I would probably miss it, as I'll possibly be on a road trip). There is a hint of a future album though: "The band will be performing new music in advance of a new release as well as promoting their previous album, Awase."

Back to my early morning listening routine and just going with the alphabetical flow has landed me in a whole lotta Chet Baker (11 albums in a row whose titles begin with "Chet" or "Chet Baker").

So far, "Chet", "Chet Baker & Crew" have been tremendous (I've heard most of the selections over the years) and am midway through "Chet Baker & Strings", which is not as syrupy as I feared.
I could not help but agree with your comment and admire your morning routine. So far, "Chet" and "Chet Baker & Crew" have been fantastic, and you're pleasantly surprised by "Chet Baker & Strings."

I could not help but agree with your comment and admire your morning routine. So far, "Chet" and "Chet Baker & Crew" have been fantastic, and you're pleasantly surprised by "Chet Baker & Strings."

Work travel disrupted the routine a bit this week---now listening to "Chet Baker in Milan"---another excellent album!

Nik Bärtsch has released an EP in honor of 1,000 Montags (Mondays) at his club EXIL in Zurich, Switzerland. (Bärtsch, or members of his groups, have performed there consecutively for over 19 year every Monday evening, most of them livestreamed in recent years.)

The Ronin Rhythm Clan was a rare expanded lineup of Bärtsch's Ronin group. Ronin of late has been Bärtsch on piano, Sha on bass clarinet and sax, lifelong sidekick Kaspar Rast on drums, and on this recording, Thomy Jordi (who appeared on the last Ronin album Awase) on bass. Expanding the lineup for the "Clan" are three additional horns and a guitar. This is a two-track, 24 minute EP featuring "Modul 22" and "Modul 42."

Moonday is a private Ronin Rhythm Records release, and can be found on Bandcamp.

1710203229435.png

He and the current Ronin (Sha, Rast, and Jeremias Keller on bass) are playing a small number of gigs in the US. The closest to me is in Cleveland in less than two weeks (where I would probably miss it, as I'll possibly be on a road trip). There is a hint of a future album though: "The band will be performing new music in advance of a new release as well as promoting their previous album, Awase."
One of my favorite artists. Thanks for positing this and will add immediately to my library.

One of my favorite artists. Thanks for positing this and will add immediately to my library.
I watched a few performances on YouTube last night. One was the first of two sets by the Ronin Rhythm Clan from EXIL in 2013.

"Modul 35" starts at 28:48 while "Modul 42" fades away, but after an interlude, 37:15 starts on an entirely new path and by the 40:00 mark, it's becomes a full-on funk/soul band workout, taking it somewhere entirely different from where it started. He doesn't play it much on record, but Bartsch also plays a little of a Rhodes keyboard, which gives the song a 70s vibe right along with the horn section. And the band (and audience) is lovin' it! I wish this had made it onto the EP. One interesting thing is that Kaspar Rast continues playing one of his typical polyrhythmic accompaniments, yet it's just as funky.

I didn't pay Metheny much attention other than catching some of the songs on WJZZ, but the real breakthrough came in the mid 90s when I borrowed Letter from Home from the library. After a couple of weeks I was out at the used record store picking up a few older titles.
The song that lured me was "Are You Going With Me?" As it turns out, I would be going with him, with "As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls" the tune that hooked me.

"5-5-7" was what really grabbed me at first (and it sounded familiar--pretty sure WJZZ played it), and First Circle was what got me hooked (especially the title track). I believe I also had Wichita Falls, New Chautauqua...and curiously, Song X (which I was not prepared for 😁), in that first round of titles. That was back when vinyl was cheap and "sampling" a stack of records like that didn't cost much.

1710433517152.png

...right now during lunch. 👍

I also ripped the EXIL appearance of the Ronin Rhythm Clan that I posted above, along with the second set, direct from YouTube and made it into a FLAC album. Sits nicely in Roon Player that way.

I wish Paich had recorded more albums like this. He was better known for arranging than recording albums.

1710606224541.png

Once this is done playing, got the Doctor queued up.

1710606319955.png

1710606288853.png

Patiently waiting (recent weather delays) for John Barry's "Octopussy" score. expanded to 2CDs and released by LaLaLand in CA.
"Live and Let Die" by George Martin 2 CD on order as well.
If you are a fan, suggest your order quickly as these expanded Bond scores sell out quickly.

Down to the last two of the 11 consecutive (alphabetically) Chet Baker albums---Chet Baker with Fifty Italian Strings and Chet Is Back. Not a loser in the bunch. I've always appreciated Chet, but the fact that he can be all I listen to over the course of a week or more and not get tired of it is really remarkable.

Tomorrow---something completely different.

Patiently waiting (recent weather delays) for John Barry's "Octopussy" score. expanded to 2CDs and released by LaLaLand in CA.
"Live and Let Die" by George Martin 2 CD on order as well.
If you are a fan, suggest your order quickly as these expanded Bond scores sell out quickly.
Last night I almost bit on the 3-LP set that is an expanded reissue of the James Bond theme compilation album...until I read that the mastering was not good. (I had a chance at a sealed set with damaged cover that had a steep discount.) I still have a digital version of that set, which was on a single CD.

1710685484812.png

BTW, did they get I-70 cleared? I would have been driving through there today had I decided to go on the rally next week.

I 70 is cleared.
lotta snow in the foothills, not much along the Front Range.

this is a decent collection. very nice re-recordings and arrangements. keep any eye on this as it occasionally drops down low ($20 or so)

That CD you linked to reminds me of a Hitchcock: Master of Mayhem CD I bought back in the 1990s. It was conducted by Lalo Schifrin, so the last section of the CD had a selection of some of Schifrin's own popular themes. An enjoyable set if you can find a copy of it.

1710706479352.png

Done with work for the day, and spinning the Pink Panther soundtrack.

A new turntable accessory, the Funk Firm Achromat (5mm), showed up, and I'm noticing that it is an improvement over the Herbie's Audio mat I have been using for a while. I noticed things sounded a little dead with the Herbie's mat, whereas the Achromat is a thicker mat that uses closed-cell air bubbles in the mat to dissipate the energy. The Pink Panther tracks on side two (of the 45 RPM set) came to life a bit more (the percussion in the background, like the congas), and I also noticed the stridency on the violins was diminished. It should be interesting on other recordings that have seemed a bit stuffy to me. I may be close to the point of resuming needle drops.

It also helped that I moved my Nagaoka cartridge over to a lower mass headshell (4 grams less, which reduces the effective tonearm mass) so it's working on a fresh alignment now. I may order up a wooden headshell from Yamamoto for the ART7 cartridge--the HS-1, made of the same ebony hardwood used to make woodwinds like oboes and clarinets. It's a little higher mass (about 10.5 grams?), which the ART7 needs. The HS-7 is made of camelia wood and slightly lower mass (8g) which might be good for the Nagaoka if I decide to move on from the old Audio Technica headshell I mentioned earlier. (I refurbished it this weekend, and put higher quality headshell leads on it.)

Last night I almost bit on the 3-LP set that is an expanded reissue of the James Bond theme compilation album...until I read that the mastering was not good. (I had a chance at a sealed set with damaged cover that had a steep discount.) I still have a digital version of that set, which was on a single CD.

1710685484812.png

BTW, did they get I-70 cleared? I would have been driving through there today had I decided to go on the rally next week.
Can you share a bootleg?

The alphabetical morning listening finishes the 11 Chet Baker albums beginning with either "Chet" or "Chet Baker" and takes me into another potential marathon---Chicago.

I have listened at least once to everything up to Chicago 16, and owned Chicago Transit Authority through Chicago X on vinyl in my teens and 20s. I was a big fan (they were the first rock act I ever saw live).

That said, I felt at the time that it all peaked with Chicago VII, and from VIII on, I didn't really care. I also probably wouldn't have dropped whatever exhorbitant sum I did on the four-record Chicago IV (Live at Carnegie Hall) when it came out.

So, I'll open it up to discussion---where do you think today I'll find the point of diminishing returns and bail out?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom