1. A&M Corner can now be found on Instagram! Follow us on our new account at @a.m.corner .
    You may also follow us on Twitter: @amcorner.
  2. We have received word that UMe is aware of the problem with the Carpenters vinyl releases, both the box sets and the individual LPs, and has offered a solution. To receive a replacement, send a proof of purchase to UMGCustomerSupport@umusic.com. UMe prefers email, but those who prefer phone contact may call 1-800-288-5942 to speak to Customer Support.

The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

Discussion in 'A Small Circle of Friends: The Music Forum' started by Rudy, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

I loved the movie Cool hand Luke my dad would use that movie as a teaching lesson whenever it was on tv to warn me of what happens when you are imprisoned or Jailed etc. Sadly chain gangs were outlawed i was told supposedly because they were deemed cruel and unusual punishment well I think they didn't go far enough but I digress but I like some of the music especially the song "Down here on the Ground" both by Wes Montgomery and the vocal version by George Benson. The Lyrics really are telling the story and define it perfectly.
    Rudy likes this.
  2. Rudy

Rudy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ Site Admin Thread Starter

This is DJRudy bringing you all another rarity by Willie Bobo. :D Least expensive used copy is $150, and it's only graded VG; a NM copy is listed for $249.99. :bigeyes:

This promo-only remix of "Always There" is based on the album version which is on the album Hell of an Act to Follow. The remix has been coming up on my Pandora station all the time. The only place I can see to get it is on a 2-CD set called Jazz Funk Sessions. The album is readily available and the rest of the album is good, but nothing out of the ordinary for its time.

What kills me with so many of these 12 inch singles is that I probably could have bought all of them for $2-$3 apiece back in the day at a couple of the used record shops I used to visit. My twin-brother-from-another-mother @JH12"fanatic always pesters me about the rare promo extended version of Earth Wind & Fire's "Getaway" I bought for a few bucks back in the 80s; I think we finally decided I'll have to leave it to him in my will. :laugh:
    DeeInKY and Bobberman like this.
  3. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

Your father was worried that you would end up in jail? (Maybe all of our parents had that thought at times.) :D
    Bobberman and Rudy like this.
  4. Bobberman

Bobberman Well-Known Member

Very True thankfully I have never been to either Jail or prison yet
    DeeInKY likes this.
  5. Rudy

Never heard this album before today, and only remember one or two tracks that received light airplay locally. I picked this up sealed from a Discogs seller, and just dropped it on the turntable (while taking a break from cleaning up after the hot water tank burst :mad: )...

Norma Jean Wright was the lead vocalist on her self-titled debut. What's remarkable here is that she was the lead singer on the first self-titled Chic album, and this album is essentially "Chic project #2" with Rodgers/Edwards producing, their band backing Norma Jean (including Tony Thompson on drums), and writing four of the album's seven tracks. (Their tune "Saturday" that leads off the album is a lost classic IMHO. "I Like Love" was a minor hit also.) The Sam Cooke tune "Having A Party" is also covered here. Notable appearance by Luther Vandross on backing vocals. Her track "High Society" does not appear here--that was a non-album single, but it did appear on the expanded CD reissue (which I don't have, but I have the track on a Chic Organization compilation).
    DeeInKY likes this.
  6. DeeInKY

DeeInKY Well-Known Member

I remember her. That sounds like a good album.

I’ve been listening to The Band the last few days. CD I’ve Been playing a lot is “The Best of The Band.”

Ruptured water heaters are hateful. Had one break in upstairs apartments twice and come down on me. Then mine went right after I’d had major surgery. Maintenance had loaned out their shop vac so I had to borrow one and clean it up myself. Was shakey and about to pass out by the time I had finished. :cry:
  7. Rudy

The bad part about the hot water tank is that I still have a lot of things stored in boxes which we've never unpacked. Luckily not too many are affected but I have to move a lot to get things dried out. And I also have to make certain a path is clear for the plumbers to bring the new tank down on a handtruck.

I could only imagine being underneath one of those. Figure 30 or 40 gallons in the tank, plus whatever leaked prior to shutting the water off.

Rodgers and Edwards also produced the album King of the World for Sheila and B. Devotion. Sheila is a French singer, who has had great success in France. The hit from that album was "Spacer" which is a classic Chic-style production.

"Saturday" from Norma Jean: