The Now Spinning/Recent Purchases Thread

DAN BOLTON

Absolutely beautiful...from The Jungle Book, one of my favorite Disney movies. Have movie on VCR, one day I'll play it for my granddaughter...but probably NOT this version of the [email protected]##!! Spotify doesn't feature it...in fact, nothing by the Soul Flutes is available on Spotify. If I didn't get access free from my son's account, I'd probably switch to Apple. Maybe I can pick it up off of Amazon...money well spent if it's available.
Just checked...it ain't...Aarrghhh!!!!

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Absolutely beautiful...from The Jungle Book, one of my favorite Disney movies. Have movie on VCR, one day I'll play it for my granddaughter...but probably NOT this version of the [email protected]##!! Spotify doesn't feature it...in fact, nothing by the Soul Flutes is available on Spotify. If I didn't get access free from my son's account, I'd probably switch to Apple. Maybe I can pick it up off of Amazon...money well spent if it's available.
Jungle Book was a big hit with me when I was a kid. I wouldn't remember if I'd ever seen it when it originally came out (1967), but I think it had a limited run a few years later and we saw it. But for all the years growing up, I had the Disney record. It's essentially a narrated version of the film with the songs right from the soundtrack, and most of the voice actors reprising their roles in spoken form on record.

The Soul Flutes record is so obscure that I doubt any streaming service will have it. I've found some amazing things on Qobuz that I thought I'd never see again, but like any other service, if it's not available there, it usually isn't available elsewhere. (Each one has different license negotiations, so there are some titles scattered on each service that may not appear on others. When Qobuz came to the US (they are based in France), they had to renegotiate with all of the record labels and distributors that they already had ongoing relationships with. Each artist may have different contract terms in each country. Crazy, but unfortunately it all has to be done for copyright reasons.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
I have a few interesting LPs coming my way--I've been lucking out finding new old stock sealed rekkids.

This is playing at the moment. It is a calm yet introspective set by Tunisian oud master Anouar Brahem. Impeccably recorded on ECM records. Sounds really good this evening. 👍👍

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
This one arrived today, sealed:

1606791969866.png

Truthfully it should have said, "Most of their greatest hits." 😁 There are a couple missing but this hits the highlights. It was inexpensive enough that I figured I'd give it a home, especially since shipping on an additional title was free. The tonal balance on an anthology CD of theirs might be a little more favorable, but this sounds fairly good. (It's on Philadelphia International, which was manufactured and distributed by Columbia. Lots of good Philly-based soul on this label!) "Bad Luck," "The Love I Lost," "Wake Up Everybody" and "If You Don't Know Me By Now" are four of the great highlights on this record.

And this one arrived in the same package, which I posted about in our ongoing CTi thread:

1606792152462.png

The AM+ version. Needs a trip through the record cleaning routine but otherwise it's playing back nicely with no groove burn. Odd Varitone sound on Nat's cornet, but otherwise it seems good.

Top Bottom