• The new Carpenters recording with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra is now available. Use this link to order, and help us out at the same time. Thank you!

🎄 Holidays! THE OFFICIAL REVIEW: [Album] "AN OLD-FASHIONED CHRISTMAS" SP-9107

How Would You Rate This Album?

• ***** (BEST)

Votes: 11 21.6%

Votes: 25 49.0%

Votes: 13 25.5%

Votes: 1 2.0%

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

tomswift2002

I actually think AOFC is fine as it is, but maybe one more RC lead would have been great. An inner-sleeve with lyrics and a festive photo would have completed the look. Richard's opening verse for "Do You Hear What I Hear?" really adds to the old-fashioned Carpenters flavour.
Well we do have a Richard lead opening the album. But, yeah he could’ve recorded another Christmas lead, and maybe left “My Favorite Things” off.

newvillefan

I Know My First Name Is Stephen
Well we do have a Richard lead opening the album. But, yeah he could’ve recorded another Christmas lead, and maybe left “My Favorite Things” off.

There is a studio recording of (There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays with Richard on lead vocal but Karen's version is obviously far superior. An extra track or two with vocals by either Karen or Richard would have gone a long way to reducing the sparsity of vocals that makes it obvious there wasn’t enough for a full album.

Geographer

I actually think AOFC is fine as it is, but maybe one more RC lead would have been great. An inner-sleeve with lyrics and a festive photo would have completed the look. Richard's opening verse for "Do You Hear What I Hear?" really adds to the old-fashioned Carpenters flavour.

He could have put his recording (or a re-recording) of Toyland on here instead of one of the many piano instrumental medleys. Although I DO enjoy them, it's a bit heavy on them here. But I agree, AOFC is fine as is.

tomswift2002

He could have put his recording (or a re-recording) of Toyland on here instead of one of the many piano instrumental medleys. Although I DO enjoy them, it's a bit heavy on them here. But I agree, AOFC is fine as is.
Toyland or even Christmas Alphabet with Kristy McNichol credited as a guest singer would’ve worked. Or I’ve always wondered what Richard could’ve done with the Roger Miller classic Old Toy Trains as a Carpenters song with him on lead. Maybe he could’ve paired it with Toyland and Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town, in a trilogy like the RDAM-Superstar-GTL 69-73 trilogy.

Rumbahbah

Toyland or even Christmas Alphabet with Kristy McNichol credited as a guest singer would’ve worked. Or I’ve always wondered what Richard could’ve done with the Roger Miller classic Old Toy Trains as a Carpenters song with him on lead. Maybe he could’ve paired it with Toyland and Santa Claus Is Comin’ To Town, in a trilogy like the RDAM-Superstar-GTL 69-73 trilogy.

I'm very glad 'Christmas Alphabet' never made it on to the album or any other release. It's a mawkish horror of a track!

Simon KC1950

I'm very glad 'Christmas Alphabet' never made it on to the album or any other release. It's a mawkish horror of a track!

I recently took a listen to some of Spike Jones' Christmas music and you can really hear the influence it had on the Carpenters. I was laughing just listening, I could picture Karen as a kid in Connecticut doing impressions of the characters in the songs. I could hear her singing "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" with the whistle. "Christmas Alphabet" and "Angel In The Christmas Play" are just two of Spike Jones' that the Carpenters did.

ChrisCarpenterCollecter

Tomorrow Maybe Even Brighter Than Today
I recently took a listen to some of Spike Jones' Christmas music and you can really hear the influence it had on the Carpenters. I was laughing just listening, I could picture Karen as a kid in Connecticut doing impressions of the characters in the songs. I could hear her singing "All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth" with the whistle. "Christmas Alphabet" and "Angel In The Christmas Play" are just two of Spike Jones' that the Carpenters did.
I never heard about Carpenters version of “Angel In The Christmas Play”?
Can you tell me something about the recording?

Chris

tomswift2002

I’m still surprised that there has been no new Christmas compilation released since 1992. It would be a good place to release “Christmas Alphabet, Toyland & Make Me Laugh” and the TV version of “O Holy Night” . I had the “Christmas Memories” DVD in the other day and both Alphabet & Laugh were in stereo on there, while “O Holy Night”, was mostly stereo, the piano was clearly mono and Richard could’ve cleaned up the tape hiss a little more, but otherwise, it would be nice to have them on CD. And the multi-tracks, I would assume whether they are analog or digital, most likely exist so a stereo mix of “Toyland” is possible; and considering that Karen loved Richard’s vocals on “Toyland” it’s surprising that Richard hasn’t released it!

Top Bottom