• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The origins of Richard's vocal arranging style

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinylalbumcovers

Ah am so steel een luv weeth yoo
Just an aside...

For those who think Richard Carpenter's vocal arrangements are unique, I direct your attention to a group called "Singers Unlimited". Their arranger, Gene Puerling, is the creator of the "open-harmony" style of vocal arranging when he formed the 50's vocal group - the Hi-Lo's.

When he moved to form the Singers Unlimited, he toyed with the same ideas that Richard did with regards "multi-harmony overdubbing"...but he took them much further. To prove that point, here's their take on the old standard, "Our Love Is Here To Stay". As you listen to this, please keep in mind that you're hearing the work of only four people.

(Click Here)

I just wanted to share this with you guys. Given the fact that we all love Richard's way with a vocal arrangement, this should be right up everyone's alley..:wink:

Enjoy!

Ed

Edited to remove link to complete song

I've heard some of the Hi-Lo's on XM's 50s channel. Sure wish someone made music like that (and like Carpenters, in fact) in these times. :confused:

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
When he moved to form the Singers Unlimited, he toyed with the same ideas that Richard did with regards "multi-harmony overdubbing"...but he took them much further. To prove that point, here's their take on the old standard, "Our Love Is Here To Stay". As you listen to this, please keep in mind that you're hearing the work of only four people.

For some reason, that recording reminds me of Manhattan Transfer's "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square." Both acapella, four performers, with similar harmonies, although I don't think that the MT track used any overdubbing...

Murray

Good ear, Murray. Gene Puerling actually did the arrangement for "A Nightingale..." specifically for the Manhattan Transfer. It also won a Grammy.

Ed

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
P.S.: I hope this was okay to do. I promise the file is virus-free and it came from my own server so I'm not stealing anyone else's bandwidth.

Just fine, Ed! :thumbsup: Since we're treating it as "sample this song" vs. "download the newest track for FREE", it's OK. :)

Oh good, Neil. I'm big on not violating copyright but the album this one came from is miles out of print. If anyone's interested, the box set, "Magic Voices" (on which you'll find this song) is available on most on-line music outlets. I was also under-encoded this mp3 in an effort to tease everyone...:wink:

Ed

I thought better of posting the entire song and have since linked to a partial sample

Thanks for the info Ed. I have always been fascinated with Richards backing vocal arrangements. The short clip kinda
reminds me of his introduction to
It Came Upon A Midnight Clear. I always thought it would be cool if
Richard produced a Manhattan Tranfer style album.

Thanks Jim

He definitely could. I'd love to hear him do an acapella album with just his voice. The arrangements would be out of this world.

Ed

Hi all, new to post here.

The Singers Unlimited have another album that I have that is awesome. They credit The Manhattan Transfer on this album as they do Body and Soul, just as the Manhattan Transfer did it. Hard to tell the difference, the arrangement is identical.

At any rate, I've never heard the clip of Love Is Here To Stay until I played it today, and it sounds great, as expected. The question I have is, where did this one song come from? Ever since I got their cutaway album years ago, I've searched for another of theirs, but have not been able to locate one. Would love to find more.

CoolVox, thanks for enabling me to find this forum.

For all you folks out there, I'm new to the forum, but not to the Carpenters music. Karen and Richard have been two of my all time favorite artists since I was 15, and , well, I'm about 35 years older than that, now....you do the math. At any rate, no one will ever replace K&R, but this kind of harmony just can't be beat.

Thanks for sharing the music.

Welcome, Tim!

Great to have you! The song, "Our Love Is Here To Stay" is from the album, "Acapella III" and the CD can be obtained on eBay by clicking here. All of their albums (except the Christmas album they did, which was remastered on it's own and remains widely available) have been digitally remastered and released in a box set called "Magic Voices" Again, the sound is unexpectedly good for a digital rendering of a very analog recording and the book that comes along with it offers some interesting insights.

The box set, "Magic Voices" can be purchased by clicking here or here

Enjoy!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom