• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Sad Songs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Come Back To Me" by Janet Jackson can do it to me. The vocal arrangement is just amazing and the lyric has some achingly beautiful moments. The LP vocal intro is just spine-tingling. It can really take you there. I just love the way the end of the song hangs while she ad-libs on top of it. Just amazing.

Ed

Gosh, Dan, I haven't heard "Scarlett Ribbons" in years! But you're right on target. It ALWAYS makes me cry. Harry Belafonte's version for sure. It's such a simple presentation. Just him and his guitar. A knockout. What ever happened to him anyway?

Another is "Rainbow Connection". Particularly Karen's version.

"Look to Your Dreams" for a third.

Marilyn,
who guesses everyone can guess she's a C's fan!!

Last I heard, Harry Belafonte was taking Danny Kaye's place as the director or ambassador of UNICEF. I forget what the position was called, but that's what he did. His son and daughter did an Oldsmobile commercial to the tune of DAY-O a few years back, and it was pretty awful...but, then...Oldsmobile ads never really were too much to brag about.

I don't know if Harry still sings or not...

Dan, who likes RAINBOW CONNECTION, too...

jfiedler17 said:
Wow, Song Hits! I had forgotten about that magazine! I used to love that mag when I was younger!

Jeff F.

Yes, "Without It, All You Can Do Is Hum!"... :D I used to pick up every latest issue--it had the words to a lot of songs, Old & New! And I would order back-issues of Song Hits, as well as Hit Parade, and remember being disappointed when certain issues of each were Out Of Stock!

Dave

ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
"Come Back To Me" by Janet Jackson can do it to me. The vocal arrangement is just amazing and the lyric has some achingly beautiful moments. The LP vocal intro is just spine-tingling. I just love the way the end of the song hangs while she ad-libs on top of it.

Ed

I had the Control album by Janet and I thought the sad stuff there was "When I Think Of You", "Let's Wait A While", and of course, "Funny How Time Flies When You're Having Fun"...

Stanley Clarke did an instrumental version of "Funny How Time Flies...", that's pretty Blues-y", too...

Dave

Dave said:
ThaFunkyFakeTation said:
"Come Back To Me" by Janet Jackson can do it to me. The vocal arrangement is just amazing and the lyric has some achingly beautiful moments. The LP vocal intro is just spine-tingling. I just love the way the end of the song hangs while she ad-libs on top of it.

Ed

I had the Control album by Janet and I thought the sad stuff there was "When I Think Of You", "Let's Wait A While", and of course, "Funny How Time Flies When You're Having Fun"...

Stanley Clarke did an instrumental version of "Funny How Time Flies...", that's pretty Blues-y", too...

Dave

I've got that record and I agree with you, Dave. "Let's Wait Awhile" is just amazing. "Funny..." is vastly underrated and was a single waiting to happen. I'll have to check out that Stanley Clarke song. He's great so it could be very interesting...

Ed

Sometimes you stir the memories, sometimes the memories stir you...

Forgot how much Gayle Caldwell's Celebration Of Life, A&M SP 4196 can really start the Blubberin' 'N' Bawlin', too...!! :cry:

sp4196.jpg

Whether it's "Wandering" (...When it's November, I think of July...) or "Cycles" (both more CHEERFULLY covered by Frank Sinatra) or "The Quiet Prince", "Man On The Corner" or "Lovely Lily"... That entire LP's another Tear-Jerker, as well...! :sad:

Dave

Amy Grant's "I Will Remember You" does it for me! Touching song to begin with, add the video and it's even more so. Also, after 9/11, many radio stations were playing her song with audio clips of the tragic day spliced in. THAT made me cry!
P.S. As a side note, Amy Grant's new DVD and CD (Greatest Hits 1986-2004) is now available (A&M) and both are well worth purchasing!

Heart's "Keep Your Love Alive" from Little Queen-- never felt as touched by it as when I recently listened to it playing on our Classic Rock station... :cry:

"Night On Disco Mountain" (Based on Mussorgsky's "Night On Bald Mountain") on the SATURDAY NIGHT FEVER Motion-Picture Soundtrack, made me misty playing the album on tape while delivering papers to it on my paper route and still brings a tear to my eye, anytime I hear it... :sad:

Dave

After seeing Roberta Flack in Concert, my favorite album of hers, Feel Like Makin' Love has been getting a lot of play...and causing me to shed many a tear...!! :cry:

What about Jimmie Rodgers "Shadows" on A&M '45' #842 (1277)?

...Shadows of all there used to be...Soft lights that share my room with me...Shadows are all that I can look for, all that I can hope for, falling over me...Endless now, the time to be lonely...It seems like only yesterday, when you turned and walked away, that's how you wanted it to be...Time has taken you away, gone now, leaving me to stay...Shadows are all that I can look for, all that I can hope for, falling over me...

...Now THAT'S what'll bring a tear to my eye...!! :blinkeye: :sad:

Dave

Hey Dave (neighbor), Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls soundtrack is now available on CD. I picked up a copy earlier this year. :thumbsup:

AZSBF.jpg

Latest Tear-Jerkers:

The last-two songs from Mark Lindsay (Formerly of Paul Revere and The Raiders) from his second solo-LP, Silverbird...now those get the tears rollin'...!!

"Feel The Warm", (written by arranger Artie Butler and producer Jerry Fuller, also covered by Billy Eckstein)... :sad:

And especially "Windy Wakefield" (written by Don & Dick Addrissi of "Never My Love" fame) ...Now THIS One takes First Prize in making me...Misty...!!! :cry:

Dave

Thumbs up to you, Dave, for digging up that tune, "Feel the Warm," penned by Artie Butler! His arrangement can definitely make the tears run! :thumbsup:

Here's not a SONG, but an Episode of a TV SHOW, which I have been looking up on the Internet to see if it is playing again on maybe TV LAND or Nickelodeon; ran into this "tearjerker" of a Gomer Pyle episode...:

Don't know how I dealt with the "Climactic Cat Rescue" 30-years ago, when I saw it as a Re-Run on WXON-TV 20, but I really cried ALL DAY over it, after just reading the couple of the above-'Episode Summaries', this mornin'...! :cry:

The story takes a serious, dramatic turn, before...: ...Gosh, Golly, See?! Safe 'N' Secure...! :cat: :D

Dave

...WCB, Online...! :wink:

On the subject of tear-jerker TV episodes, or those that move one or make a lasting impact, my vote goes to a certain "M.A.S.H." episode.
This was the one where a soldier lost an arm in battle, and later the 4077th physicians discovered he was a concert pianist.
Major Winchester (David Ogden Stiers) prods the guy out of his depression and inspires him to play pieces designed for just one hand.
High on my list of personal favorites.
JB

You know, Dave, there are counselors for that... :laugh:

Music-wise anything by Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix or the first four Led Zeppelin albums makes me cry. But that's only bcause I have sensitive ears... :laugh: Oh, and add Stevie Nicks' sheep-bleating vocals to that list.

--Mr Bill
hoping no one considers that comment a thread crap

Mr Bill said:
...Hope no one considers my comment a Thread-Crap...

No, nothing Crappy about it, at all! I have yet to make-up for what I spent on some of "those guys", too! :wink:

Stuff I can't stand to hear--because of it being TALENTLESS--The "Love Me, Love Me" song by The Cardigans was one such song that hit me, too! :cry:

So are some of a bunch of other 'New Songs', too numerous to mention, at the moment...! :baah:

:mad:--Well, THAT'S how I also feel, too...! :sad: :)

:cry: *...And please, Mr. Bill--No Stray Cats aboard your Sea Missions that get launched-off on a certain Naval Naigational Device (or 'Buoy'), unless you have someone that really knows how to SWIM!!! :cat:

Dave

Hey, what a great subject since music absolutely affects all of us emotionally... Here's my list:

1. Scarlet Ribbons (Gale Garnett version is the most heartfelt for me.)
2. Grow Old With Me - John Lennon (outtake from the 1984 "Milk & Honey lp)
3. Name Of The Game - Badfinger (I still think this is Pete Ham's best melody).
4. Honey (I Miss You) - Andy Williams (his 1968 version always makes me tear up)
5. Here Today - Paul McCartney (Paul's beautiful song for John...)

Bobbyvox said:
..."Honey (I Miss You)" - Andy Williams...

Yes, it was a "tear-jerker" to me, when I first heard it...! :sad: In fact, both the ALBUM, Honey and Born Free, as well as Love, Andy were the first-and-only Andy Williams albums I owned at one time, because of Nick DeCaro's arrangements; afterwhich, I bought a lot of Andy's works, on CD as it came out, and found a lot of his Still-Sealed vinyl...!!

I agree, even "Grow Old...", the 'John Lennon-demo' can also strike an "emotional chord" and I think of Paul McCartney's "Maybe I'm Amazed" as such a 'Weeper', too! :sad:

Dave :)

'Bud' from Herb Alpert's Ninth brings tears for me. In the late 60's my buddies & I had a TJB copy band.."The New Vista Brass". We were about 15 at the time. We used the songbooks that Almo music had out then. We had a kid who did an AWESOME job of playing Herb's part :wink: We had a lot of fun playing for local dances at the Moose & Elk's clubs & so forth. We of course played other styles of music as time went on, but the TJB music was most favored by myself, & the trumpeter I mention here. In our adult years, he & I would get together occasionally. I'd accompany him on the piano, as he played Herb's music. Always a special time. I wish we'd done that more often. We also had bands going from time to time, playing "Chicago" tunes & other jazz styles. My friend & I greatly enjoyed our TJB sessions, however!
This dear friend passed away 4 years ago...way too soon. 4 of us guys who were in "The New Vista Brass" got back together & worked up 3 TJB tunes for his funeral. It was at his widow's request. We covered the trumpet parts on synth. Our beloved friend's trumpet & flugel were on their stands, sitting next to us on a pedestal as we played without him :cry: We played "Bud", "It was a Very Good Year"' & "When the Angels Sing" which were perfect for the occasion. I Will never forget it. RIP, Sammy.

Somehow the Perfect Album to listen to Late Fall, Early Winter, Roberta Flack's Feel Like Makin' Love...: :neutral:inkshield:

images

The Nine Most Saddest Songs are Right Here...! :cry:

Some Gospel According To Matthew is a short, acoustic Spiritual, ending Side 1 and just screaming to be put in a Boxed Set-like Compilation, if not by now on a Collectables '45' as to this day it's a wonder how Atlantic has never released it as a Single and it just seems puzzling how it could only be relegated it to the original LP... My "Annual-Anthem which I play at Midnight when November 30th becomes December 1st!!!" :angel:

First heard Mister Magic eating my First Whole Whopper in a Burger King...! Who else could make Stevie Wonder's I Can See The Sun In Late December (What STEVIE WONDER album is it even FROM???!!!) :confused: almost 12-Minutes long...??!! :shock:

The kick-off track Feelin' That Glow has such a Heart-Warmin' Glow, and the second track, I Wanted It Too is equally good...

The REAL "Weepers" here are the tear-jerkin' Early Every Midnight, (especially that Gnarly, Snarly, but never Jarring Electric Guitar Solo!) and the strong torrent of tears still have yet to subside on Old Heartbreak Top-Ten... (with a more assuring tone and a calmer, gentler Electric Guitar solo there!)

Feel Like Makin' Love, which kicks off Side 2 makes you wish you could stand beside her playing the guitar and singing the Chorus as I've finally seen happen seeing her in Concert...

The one song I hate, or at least dislike and try not to hear (I usually fall asleep with this playing so I don't...!) is the last song, She's Not Blind, which seems to hang mid-air in a sort of a Morbid Haze... The album would be incomplete without it, but it just seems to overly Ornate and very Unfocused...! :| Another one which "Makes Me Misty", but for the Very Wrong Reason...! :sad:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom