• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Sad Songs thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
"...And you see him by the railroad track each mornin', tellin' stories to the hobos sittin' 'round..."

--"Hobo's & Kings" by Bobby Goldsboro... From his 1969 LP, Today, which was also released on CD in tandem with It's Too Late... It's the Last Song and even available on a '45'... Obviously inspired by Bobby seeing hobos gathered around the railroad tracks in his travels, one seems to typically be "a king", "a savior" or just "a chief hobo" looking after his "fellow-bums"...

Why a "tear-jerker"? Because that "lead hobo" apparently dies, as paraphrased in the line: "...And his eyes are closed, though he's no longer sleeping..." --Not since "Honey" has Goldsboro sung a song in which there was a "death"... Naturally in the song, the rest of the hobos are worried that they no longer have their "king", until "...--YOU--Drink 'your story' from a bottle and now possess the crown...", according to the remaining lines in the song, as it fades away... Seems as though my CD was playing in my sleep, I dreamt I was walking by a railroad track crying out loud... :?:

I somehow never appreciated Bobby's original albums and always stood by my Tenth Anniversary Album as "All The Bobby Goldsboro I Needed to Hear!"... Until Collectibles released a "pale imitation" of that compilation, on which I finally had someone burn those 23 songs, plus three others only available on Tenth Anniversary... but from the reissue of Honey, ("With Pen In Hand") Summer The First Time, ("Marlena"--the album seems sooooo unfinished closing with "Summer...") and "Muddy Mississippi Line", which unfortunately had to be a "re-recorded version" from another Compilation, which ends with an Interview with Wink Martindale and even comes with a DVD! Anyway, I have the so-far THREE CD's of Five-reissued albums (one appears TWICE) and seem to rank Bobby as one of my favorites, right down to enjoying ALL of his albums in their originality and completeness and if only MORE would come out on CD!

Dave

sp4242.jpg

"...Still I never could stand to see, a Woman Crying..."

--How 'bout a "DAVE Crying"??!! :cry: :laugh:

--Both "Woman Crying" by Mac Davis, recorded by Jimmie Rodgers on his Troubled Times album (Track 3, Side 2) in 1969/1970, (on which the same could be said for the entire LP) and the original Mac Davis recorded later on, in 1973, is also a "World Class Weeper", All The Way...!!! :sad:

Dave

sp4190.jpg

sp4197.jpg

What "sad song" do the above two albums have in common?

How 'bout "Pretty World"...? :sad:

Neither Herb, nor Sergio's version was meant to be totally "joyful" as to me it seems to have a bit of a melancholy bent... Much like the rest of Crystal...'s offerings: "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay", "Salt Sea", "Viola", "To Say Goodbye", etc. Ye-Me-Le and Stillness seemed to have also followed suit... :cry:

Yes, Warm, when you give it the usual "deep listening" seems to have its share of "tear-jerkin', trumpet blowin', sad-sounding numbers", too... Witness "Pretty World", "Girl Talk", The Continental", "Without Her" and "Warm"... :cry:

Dave

Dave said:
sp4190.jpg

sp4197.jpg

Neither Herb, nor Sergio's version was meant to be totally "joyful" as to me it seems to have a bit of a melancholy bent... Much like the rest of Crystal...'s offerings: "Sittin' On The Dock Of The Bay", "Salt Sea", "Viola", "To Say Goodbye", etc. Ye-Me-Le and Stillness seemed to have also followed suit... :cry:

Yes, Warm, when you give it the usual "deep listening" seems to have its share of "tear-jerkin', trumpet blowin', sad-sounding numbers", too... Witness "Pretty World", "Girl Talk", The Continental", "Without Her" and "Warm"... :cry:

Dave

Huh?

WITHOUT HER, maybe...but the others? I don't get the connection.

I never saw WARM as a sad album, except for the fact that it was underappreciated by the marketplace. THAT makes me want to cry...

To each his own, though...

Dan

WARM isn't sad, it's just....warm. What in the world is sad about "The Continental?"

And "Pretty World" isn't a sad song at all if you listen to the words; it's a joyous song about being in love. (Although Herb's version of it definitely has a melancholy feel, which might be explained by the state of his love-life at the time; or it might just be his own take on the song.)

As for CRYSTAL ILLUSIONS...the word that always seems to describe that album for me is "cool." FOOL ON THE HILL was, in contrast, "hot."

Dave said:
sp4190.jpg

sp4197.jpg

Dave

Here's my two cents. I think Herb's version of Pretty World is sad, and Sergio's is rather joyus. But in both versions, the fact that Pretty World has a beautiful melody is known. I don't think Warm is really a sad tune. Just sexy, and The Continental is rather happy.

I don't see Herb's version of PRETTY WORLD to be any less joyous than Sergio's. What I see in my mind's eye when I listen to the TJB version is a 25th wedding anniversary celebration, and when I listen to B66, I think of a pair of newlyweds. In Herb's version, the kids are grown up and gone, and in Sergio's, they're hiding behind a smile...

Dan

Oh, OK, I'm sorry I misled you... I listened to these two discs again and somehow the tears didn't seem to fall... ('Specially after what I read here and what everyone said in return...) :sad:

Though I still feel misty playing Sergio's Ye-Me-Le and felt I SHOULD HAVE during Stillness... :tongue:

Sorry, I accidentally listed "The Continental" from Herb's Warm; it really shouldn't have been there, though the others were meant to be listed... (Maybe I meant to put down "Sandbox"...) :|

And I think I meant to put down "Dois Dias" from Sergio's Crystal Illusions... :cry: :wink:

Anyway, I've got Renee Armand's The Rain Book, Judith Durham's A Gift Of Song and a pair of Robin Wilson albums to compare to that Gayle Caldwell disc... :sad:

If only I still had my Steve Allen's Songs For Gentle People; that was an LP's worth of "weepers"... :cry: :wink:

Dave

Paul Williams' "Waking Up Alone" is a really sad one.

Also "Gone Forever," done by both him and Sergio Mendes. The Mendes version is much better.

In the A&M family, for some reason "Now" by the Carpenters gets to me. Maybe because it was released after the passing of Karen Carpenter. "Making Love" by Roberta Flack also is very sad to me.

"A Song For You"--the Carpenters are listed, and it had to have been done by countless other artists: The Temptations, Peggy Lee, Johnny Mathis, Leon Russell, Rita Coolidge--who I thought had a version of it--and I can't remember if Vikki Carr ever did it or not!

I think I'm in the PERFECT place to hear ANDY WILLIAMS' version of it...: --My future In-Law's house--it hasn't changed a bit as far as the furnishings, fixtures and decor, since the song came out and reminds me waaaayyy back of the house and TIME when it came out and I first heard it, too!

And while we're at it, how 'bout his You've Got A Friend album...???!!! --"Rainy Days & Mondays"...???!!!..."How Can You Mend A Broken Heart"...???!!!..."Never Can Say Goodbye"...???!!! --That Black & White Cover & Back Cover...!!!...Those Background Vocals...!!!...That Uncredited Rhythm Section...!!!...Those Horns & Strings...!!!...The Marvin Gaye "What's Going On?"-like take on "It's Too Late"--complete with Andy doing "Vocal Gymnastics"...!!! :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

A Sad Album...

:cry:

dunhill116.jpg

My Boy - Richard Harris (DSX 50116) [1971]

Beth/Sidewalk- Song/Proposal/Ballad Of An Unborn Child/This Is Our Child/Like Father Like Son/Requiem/This Is Where I Came In/Why Do You Leave Me?/All The Broken Children/My Boy/This Is The Way

:sad:

A Very Sad, Sad Album...!

Listen...

:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

There's a much better (also the original version) of "Requiem" on "The Magic Garden" by the 5th dimension (1967). And that is a sad song.

Mr Bill said:
Terry Jacks' "Seasons In The Sun"

--ANYBODY'S "Seasons In The Sun", Bill, --ANYBODY'S "Seasons In The Sun"...!!! :cry:

--By Terry Jacks, (backed by some "Vancouver Unknowns", with the "tremelo" guitar played by the late-Link Wray...--Anyone in Toronto would'a used Brian Russell on guitar, Tom Szczesniak on bass, Pat Riccio on keyboards, and Barry Keane on drums...)

--By Andy Williams, --By The Ray Conniff Singers, --Even the ROD McKUEN "first recorded version"--with "his" lyrics, and all...! :neutral:inkshield:

Dave

"Ain't No Mountain High Enough"...:

--By Diana Ross...:

Dianasolo.jpg

--By Vikki Carr...: (think her version has a Harp, played by Gayle Levant, the orchestra conducted by Artie Butler and Gayle on her way to becoming "Miss Artie...")...

B00007L7DS.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

--And even by Claudine Longet...: (And Claudine's version sung in French, of course...)

460023_claudinelonget_200x200.jpg

Dave

--Revisiting this sad, ol' topic... :cry:

Almost any recording, vocal or instrumental, of Moonlight Serenade,
Bobby Darin's Beyond the Sea and Linda Ronstadt's recording of (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons will always make me misty-eyed.

B00007L7DS.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

--And "One Less Bell To Answer", whether by 5th Dimension, Vikki Carr or Sheryl Crow (saw Sheryl singing it in a Burt Bacharach & Friends video I borrowed from someone at work, years back)...

Dave

sp4240.jpg

"There's A Baby...", "Take Good Care Of My Brother...",

and

"God Bless The Child..."

sp3011.jpg
sp4153.jpg

"Where Are They Now?"

:neutral:inkshield:​

Dave

Robin Wilson, "Only Once"...
sp4299.jpg
:sad:

--Ms. Wilson singing to the strings, tinkling piano and choppy sounding lead guitar,--in this "unfinished-sounding" piece--all slowly fading away... :cry:

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom