• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The underated Arara album

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aqua do Brasil

Dear Forum members,

IMHO opinion the Sergio Mendes´ ARARA 1989 album is a very fine album and not available anymore at the usual recordstores.

The album marks the first appearances of the singers Kevyn Lettau along with Angie Jaree.
Gracinha Leporace has also a prominent role in the album and Siedah Garret is lead vocalist on Sarara the Gilberto Gil composition from his own Nightingale Elektra 1979 Sergio Mendes produced album.

The album has some fine moments, such as Nightlife, Balafon, Cinnamon and Clove, Keep this heart and The Island.
The remake of Mas que nada with the for me unknown singer Ana Della Espriella is a good crafted track but the original can never be topped.

Guitarist Dann Huf and Alan Pasqua on keys are heavingly involved and Dori Caymmi set the groove with is impeccable guitar work and his arrangments along with Sergio arrangments of course.

In general I like the ballads more than the uptempo songs.

All the Best,
Aqua Do Brasil

I've liked ARARA since the first moment I heard it, though I initially dismissed it back when it was first released. Back in the late '80s, I had mistakenly convinced myself that Sergio's best days were in the past, and though I saw CDs like BRASIL '86 and ARARA in the racks, I was really looking for the early ones, from the Brasil '66 days. Those were the ones I wanted in my CD collection, not the current releases.

I didn't know what I was missing, though, as once I found A&M Corner and renewed my interest in Sergio's recordings, I eagerly discovered these '80s recordings, and found much to love.

On an early run to a used-CD store to try to fill in the missing albums, I found three: the latest album, OCEANO; the Elektra BRASILIERO; and ARARA. Since I'd begun this search as a gung-ho new member of A&M Corner, it was the A&M album ARARA that I gave the first spin - and immediately was drawn to the whole album.

Naturally, I thought that "Mas Que Nada" didn't need updating, but this version was pretty good in its own right. Looking through the track listing, I thought the same would be true of "Cinnamon and Clove", but that turned out to be an entirely different song.

My favorites these days include "Some Morning". I love playing that track on the first nice day after a rough winter here in Philadelphia ("...Spring is on the wa-a-ay..."). I also like "Nightlife", "Balafon", and "Surrender" and the instrumental "Toucan's Dance".

I also think that the vocalist on "The Island", Angie Jaree, sounds amazingly like Gloria Estefan.

Sometime later, I found a used copy of the 12" single for "Mas Que Nada" which featured four different mixes of the song:

7" LP version (3:50)
7" Vocals, Justin Strauss remix (3:50)
12" Vocals, Justin Strauss remix (6:48)
12" Just Right Mix - Dub (6:25)

...and still later found the above on an officially released promo-CD single.

I've never understood how ARARA can garner such little interest as I've found it to be an interesting and quite enjoyable album.

Harry

Harry said:
I've liked ARARA since the first moment I heard it, though I initially dismissed it back when it was first released.

I also think that the vocalist on "The Island", Angie Jaree, sounds amazingly like Gloria Estefan.
Harry

Dear Harry,

I could completely agree with you.

Angie Jaree is a fine singer in the vocal range of Karen Carpenter and Gloria Estefan.
I saw her in a television show at Dutch Broadcast Television with the Clare Fischer band.
A nice blonde lady who sings her heart out along with another brunette lady singer, and three male singers amongst them Jon Joyce who appears on Sergio's Confetti album. And a fine saxsoprano member who also sings.
On drums the German Tris Imboden, who played with the supergroup Chicago and percussionist Kevin Richard, a former Mendes touringband member. And Fisher son Mark Fisher on bass.
Clare Fisher, a fine arranger and keyboard player and expert in Brazilian music as well at the Salsa/Carribian Jazz and Classical music world.
And a arranger on Sergio's The great arrival 1966 Atlantic album and organ player on Primal Roots Promise of the fisherman.

All the best,
Aqua do Brasil

ARARA is indeed a good album. I'm surprised it isn't available anywhere. (Although given the way the B'66 catalog has resurfaced, just give it time.) I was glad to see more Brazilian material, considering the North American slant of the previous few albums.

The band was on "The Tonight Show" promoting this record. Jay Leno was guest hosting for Carson that night. I remember Leno introducing the band as "Sergio Mendes and Brasil '88." Then later when they were visiting, Leno said "You started with Brasil 66, then 77, and now 88. I suppose next it'll be 99, huh?" Sergio replied, "Yes, probably 99." Leno said "What comes after that?" and Sergio said, "That's it!"

Happily, as we all now know, that hasn't been the case!

Yes, some very nice sstuff on this album. As is the case with all of the 80's stuff for me, the ballads have aged much better for me; the up-tempo songs on the album are actually pretty good. I do prefer Ivan Lins' own version of "Some Morning" on LOVE DANCE (do you guys know that album - it's overly synthesized, but still great) and I prefer Dori Caymmi's version of his "Toucan's Dance" and Milton Nascimento's original "Cravo e Canela"(Cinnamon & Clove). Having said that, it's always fun to hear covers of great songs, and this is generally a nice selection of music throughout....

This will always be a special album for me. Aside from simply liking it, it was also the "house" music at the Mirage in Las Vegas the week I was there with my wife on part of our honeymoon. I still remember hearing it in the hallways and parking garage, LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom