• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

The Waters of March

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnnonymouS99

Hi. I'd just like to inquire about the song "The Waters of March". I've heard it was performed by various artist (including Basia and Brazil '66) and that the Brazil '66 album containing that song is hard to find. Also, I've found out that the song was written by Antonio Carlos Jombim. I was just wondering how Brazill '66 ever ended up performing this song, along with others performing it as well. (What was '66's involvement with Jombim?)

Brasil '66 did not perform the song. It was recorded by Sergio Mendes and Brasil '77 as part of their VINTAGE '74 album, and then it was recorded later by Sergio Mendes (solo) as part of the Brasil '88 album.

The albums can indeed be hard to find, since neither has been issued on CD. I'm not sure if the song is on any of the compilations...it isn't on any of the ones I have, at any rate.

As to how Sergio and Antonio Carlos Jobim hooked up, I'll leave that for others to speculate on. Mendes was adept at picking the very best songwriters for his Brasilian tunes, so he probably just thought of Jobim when looking for material. Don't know if they were friends first or not.

A.C. Jobim is someone I'd consider a "contemporary standards" composer--his songs have been covered by hundreds (thousands?) of artists. "Waters Of March" has been covered by many artists. (IMHO, the worst slaughtering I've heard of that song was the job Elis Regina did on it w/ Jobim. Hearing her sing and grunt on that version curdles my milk!)

Basia recorded "Waters Of March", but it's apparently only available on her compilation CD. She did record a tribute to Astrud Gilberto (named "Astrud") on her first album, Time and Tide. It's a shame Basia's always overlooked in the popular music field. IMHO, she may be just a little too sophisticated for mass consumption. (Or IOW, she has talent, something today's "pop" acts are devoid of.)

Which reminds me...it's been awhile since I hauled out the Basia CDs.

-= N =-
...back in "Half A Minute"...

The Brasil '77 version of "Waters" is on the 4 CD Grandes Nomes set. I prefer it to the later version for its more spectacular Grusin orchestration.

Jobim was actually a mentor of Sergio's, not vice versa. Jobim was already a famous composer and arranger by the time Sergio started making the "scene" as a lounge pianist in Brasil in the late 50s and early 60s. Jobim took Sergio under his wing and made him part of the "inner circle" crafting the new style known as bossa nova. Virtually every one of Sergio's instrumental albums, and a lot of his early vocal albums, included at least one Jobim tune, and, though not an official chart hit, Brasil '66 is credited with popularizing one of Jobim's most enduring standards, "Wave."

Sergio got a little choked up talking about "Tom" during his concert here a couple of years ago. He did a mini-Jobim medley about halfway through the show.

I agree Jeff. The 'Vintage '74' Sergio 'Waters of March' is much better than the 'Brasil '88' version. But the best one is the live concert version on the Japanese-issued Sergio concert video (the concert was at the time of the release of 'Magic Lady'), which is the only one of Sergio's versions that includes both English & Portugese lyrics.

At the risk of being flamed, I have to say that I was very dissapointed in Lani's version on 'Brasil Nativo' .- For me, it didn't work. She sounds like she's guesting on 'Romper Room', E-Nun-Ci-At-Ing every word to extreme. Billy Stritch does the same thing, and it makes me nuts!!!. I far prefer Basia's verson.

I'd love to hear Sade tackle it.

MasterLcZ said:
I agree Jeff. The 'Vintage '74' Sergio 'Waters of March' is much better than the 'Brasil '88' version.

I think this was the track that led me to buy Vintage '74 originally. Our local jazz radio station used to play it.

MasterLcZ said:
At the risk of being flamed, I have to say that I was very dissapointed in Lani's version on 'Brasil Nativo' .- For me, it didn't work.

For some of us, the whole album didn't work. (It appears this is a love-it-or-hate-it CD.) I found it to be a somewhat gloomy album that matched the dour expression in the photo on the front cover. One track I did find interesting was "Mas Que Nada," only because it is remarkably similar to Luiz Henrique's version.

I far prefer Basia's verson.

Is it worth getting the entire compilation for that one track? (Being a Basia fan, I shouldn't even have to ask! :D )

-= N =-

I really love the Basia version. It stands repeated listening --- I find additional nuances every time I hear it. Basia has a great feel for the bossa rhythms and her greatest hits cd is wonderful.
Of course, Sergio's version is still my favorite!
If you want to try a newer version, a Japanese singer named Akiko just put out a version where she duets with the gal from Swing Out Sister. Dusty Groove has it on a single that includes the instrumental backing as a separate track. The voices are great and the arrangement has a lot of energy.

---SteveM

Couldn't agree more, Steve, and the Basias' version of Waters of March is just another treat on a CD that includes such favorites as Drunk on Love, Third Time Lucky, and Promises the last which sounds to my twisted ears as the greatest Brasil '66 song Sergio had no part of.... :laugh:

Interesting news about the duo with Corinne Drewery (from Swing Out Sister) and the Japanese singer named Akiko. I can't imagine that the singer named Akiko is the same one that worked with Richard Carpenter about 12 years ago doing that album with the incredible Karen-sound-alike vocals.

I just picked up the new Swing Out Sister album that was only released in Japan and the UK, and it's pretty good. I've always considered Swing Out Sister as a logical extension of the sound that Sergio pioneered all those years ago, mixed in with some Bacharachian rhythms. As for Basia, I've only heard a few of her "hits" on radio. Is her stuff worth investigating at some point in time?

Harry
NP: radio at work

Harry, what's the name of the new SOS? I also am a big fan and agree with your assessment of their sound.

Personally, I highly recommend all of Basia's CDs--her voice is simply gorgeous, and there's certainly a Sergio-esque feel to a lot of her arrangements.

It's called SOMEWHERE DEEP IN THE NIGHT, and came out last year in Japan and just this year in the UK. I managed to get mine from HMV.com in Canada, but most online retailers seem to have it now in the just-under-$20 range.

I have to tell you that when playing the first track for the first time, I found it to be goosebump-producing. It's been awhile since I ran into one of those!

The rest of the album has its highs and lows. I'd put it just a notch below SHAPES AND PATTERNS.

Harry
NP: radio at work (and trying to avoid Rod Stewart -- not easy!)

Well, thanks for all the replies! It was really great hearing all these interesting notes about the versions of the songs and the people who've sang it. I for one was a listener to Basia ever since my mom kept playing it on the car on the way to work, and it has been instilled in me. I really appriciate the information you gave on the other versions of "Waters of March". Right now, I'm on to looking for the Basia version of it since you people seem to recomend that, too. Personally, I've been away listening to other types of music during these years, and have lost track of what has become of Basia. I know from my mom that '66 did indeed become '77, but never knew of the existence of '88 'till it was mentioned. Also, my interests were sparked thanks to a little Flash animation that reminded me of the "Mas Que Nada" tune I've heard so many times before (but never really new the name of the song and who performed it, since I was still young back then).

I've never heard of the Akiko version, but am looking on to that as we speak.
Also, I have heard of Astrud Gilberto and some of her works (Again, my mom). I'm not a particularly big fan, but aim still curious about the songs...

Again, thanks to everyone.

Harry said:
As for Basia, I've only heard a few of her "hits" on radio. Is her stuff worth investigating at some point in time?

You will become quite "infected" once you get into all those luscious album tracks. :) (I was honestly very infected myself upon hearing the first track from Time And Tide: "Promises", once it breaks into a samba, is irresistible IMHO.)

What surprises me was that I'd bought her first album, Time and Tide, without knowing a single song on it or having ever heard it (or her--local radio didn't play her back then). Her name looked interesting, and the CD was up on the wall bin at Sam's Jams for weeks on end. I played it "to a pulp" for months on end! She grew on the Mrs. also, and we saw her show twice in the same year.

Probably what struck me most was how she came across as a modern-day Astrud Gilberto (although she sings better :wink: ). I've read the comments here about her singing--her band is also quite good. Her collaborator is Danny White; both of them were together briefly with the band called Matt Bianco basically making the same type of music ("Half A Minute" is worth buying an entire CD for, IMHO). Danny's brother is much better known today as a well-known $mooth Jazz guitarist: Peter White, who not only played with the Basia band on her CDs, he toured with the band in concert and, actually, didn't release his first "solo" project until he'd been on two of Basia's albums. I remember him debuting a track from his first CD during those concerts, which I believe was the song that broke him on radio. (We consider him "extended family." :) ) Peter White's touch on guitar, especially on Time and Tide and London/Warsaw/New York, is almost Brazilian/Flamenco in nature, and was also one of the reasons I fell for these CDs so much.

I'm getting ready to throw together my own Basia compilation for the CD changer...i just need to get the Clear Horizon compilation for the extra tracks not on the 'album' CDs.

"Pocket guide" to Basia--first three albums, which are her only three "original" albums (and, which are also available as a set in one of Epic's convenient "sleeves"): Time And Tide, London/Warsaw/New York, and The Sweetest Illusion.

The EP Brave New Hope (make sure it's the 9-track, not the earlier 7-track) features a couple of remixes (including a cool samba "band version" of "From Now On" that I prefer over the version on Time And Tide), and a handful of single b-sides.

Clear Horizon is the greatest hits, with four non-album tracks (including "Waters Of March").

Basia On Broadway is her only live recording on CD.

And the ultimate set completer is getting the rare Matt Bianco (it's a band, not a person :) ) CD called Whose Side Are You On?, which sounds like a pre-Basia band warm-up. She always sings "Half A Minute" in concert, a samba "ripper" that most Basia fans know even if they don't have the Matt Bianco album (I only have it on LP at the moment, but have a lead on a CD).

There are a couple of imported "non-official" releases, including a Japanese two-CD compilation set, and a possible bootleg called Traditional Polish Sambas that collects b-sides and remixes.

And if you noticed the words "Warsaw" and "Polish"...yes, Basia hails from Poland. If you saw her last name, you'd understand why she only goes by her first name. Try saying Trzetrzelewska several times fast! :D

-= N =-

a new member here
enjoying reading all the posts.
forgive me if i repeat information here
that has been discussed elsewhere.

i'm a little shocked at this thread tho
all those versions of "waters of march"---
yet no mention of the original brasilian hit version
by the fantastic elis regina.

believe me it is definitive. and was a huge hit.

she also had the original versions of
"upa neguinho" & "lapinha"

if you don't know her you've got to hear her.

brasil's biggest singer who died tragically young in a car accident.

i've always counted brasil 66 as one of
my favorite groups. and lani my fave singer.

but when they treacled into the horribly
bland brasil 77 (where is the love indeed!)
i was forced to look elsewhere for my bossa nova highs.

firstly i bought all of astrid gilbertos lps.
i just love her. then i discovered elis.
she has no match.

by the way she also did
canto triste, ye me le, & tristeza.

she's the best.
as good as astrid and lani.
only different.

walterphil said:
a new member here
enjoying reading all the posts...

Hi Walter!

And welcome to our little "Corner" of the Internet! Glad to have you here!! :)

walterphil said:
...yet no mention of the original brasilian hit version
by the fantastic elis regina...

Ah! Elis Regina!! What to say? She was taken from us much too soon, indeed. An incredible loss. Her take on contemporary Brazilian standards, bossa and samba -- basically everything she tackled -- was nothing short of masterful.

One of the wonderful things you'll find about A&M Corner is that we tend to "agree to disagree" among ourselves about certain topics from time to time. It makes for an open-minded, stimulating forum environment.

Having said this, I should point out that Elis' take on Aquas de Marco is not one of our webmaster's favorite versions of the song. However, I find it to be definitive in many ways. For one, her collaborations with Tom Jobim made for some magic moments in the studio. For another, their light-hearted take on Aquas de Marco makes me want to smile. You can hear joy in every subtle nuance of the song. Aquas de Marco should be sing-song and upbeat. Their version is -- lock, stock and barrel.

walterphil said:
...i've always counted brasil 66 as one of
my favorite groups. and lani my fave singer.

but when they treacled into the horribly
bland brasil 77 (where is the love indeed!)
i was forced to look elsewhere for my bossa nova highs.

firstly i bought all of astrid gilbertos lps.
i just love her. then i discovered elis.
she has no match.

by the way she also did
canto triste, ye me le, & tristeza.

she's the best.
as good as astrid and lani.
only different.

Sergio definitely changed his sound with the move to Bell Records in 1973. One of the contributing factors, of course, was the inclusion of vocalist Bonnie Bowden. The combination of Bonnie and Gracinha took the "edge" off. This resulted in a sweet, breathy, almost light-hearted sound. Add to this the arrangements, use of moog synthesizer, the inclusion of Bones Howe, and you have an entirely new Brasil '77.

Love Music was a departure in every way. Vintage '74 was (IMHO) far more satisfying. With the spotlight on Gracinha, more sophisiticated arrangements and a return to Brasilian material, this is one of Sergio's best efforts to date. A perfect balance between the music of Brasil, mixed with pop arrangements by Stevie Wonder. This was a turning point in Sergio's musical career. The result is nothing short of satisfying.

I'm also a fan of Astrud Gilberto. She's definitive in many ways. With Astrud, what you see is what you get. No more, no less. She's a very honest vocalist -- the best kind! She's even better live. What you hear on record is what you hear on stage. :wink:

Jon

...charmed by Lani, Karen, Elis and Astrud, online...

thanks jon
i cannot wait to get a copy of vintage 74,
thanks to your little review.

i keep looking for later sergio work
that evokes the first 7 lps.

i recently listed to primal roots and decided its not bad.

i also have yet to hear pais tropical
altho i have the title tune on that 4 cd compilation.

glad you like elis too.
she is a dream.

xx
wp

WP...haven't you ever heard Vintage '74? It's fantastic! There is one cut I can do without, and that's "Superstition". It somehow rubs me the wrong way. Everyone has their likes and dislikes, and this is one of mine. Otherwise, Vintage '74 is a departure from Love Music in many ways.

There are things I like about Love Music. Let's see...there's "Walk The Way You Talk," which had a great deal of airplay here in the Bay Area. There's the title song, "Love Music," which also had a great deal of exposure around here. I like the cute lyrics of "You Can't Dress Up A Broken Heart" as well.

Like you, Paul Jeromack, Brandon Bergeron and I hope to see Sergio do something with classic bossa nova, samba, etc. He's been doing a great deal of Jobim material on stage lately, too. Hopefully, he'll record these wonderful songs. Tom Jobim was quoted as saying that he passed his legacy on to Sergio Mendes. It just seems fitting that Sergio would record an album of his songs. Judging from what I've seen and heard on stage, the result would be nothing short of magic.

Jon

...entranced by Sergio's take on Jobim, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom