• Our Album of the Week features will return in June.

The Wrecking Crew

Status
Not open for further replies.
i saw an advanced screening of a documentary that will
be released later this year, on a group of L A session
musicians that now go by the name of the wrecking crew

it was fascinating. when you think about it, who
backed all of these wonderful vocal groups in the
sixties? the association, sonny & cher, the mamas &
the papas, the ronettes, the crystals, spanky & our
gang, nancy sinatra & 5th dimension?

these guys that's who. a group of roughly a dozen or
so musicians. (teddy tedusco on guitar. hal blaine on
drums. carol kaye on bass. glen campbell on guitar.)
among others that i can't recall the names of right
now.

you get to hear how carol developed the bass for "the
beat goes on." (she says "i came in there and heard
that straight bass line and thought, oh oh, we gotta
do something here.") and nancy's "boots." ("most bar
bands just bang out an e chord. that ain't how it's
done.") about how mad the great phil spector really
was. (he would tire the musicians out for hours,
making the final recorded tracks more "relaxed.")
brian wilson never used any beach boys. he insisted on
these guys. the byrds' "mr. tamborine man" only had
one byrd on it. the rest were these guys. herb alpert
describing hall blaine's idea of that bump bump bass
part for the massive hit "a taste of honey." (herb looks
ok here i guess, but he has aged a bit.) he talks here and
there throughout, with lou adler.

about a zillion other little stories like these abound.

my fave group, the fifth dimension, highlights
included a backing track of "stoned soul picnic," and
another of the bass player playing along with the
final recording of "let the sun shine." (i never
realized what an amazing bass line that was!). teddy
tedusco effortlessly played his trademark spanish
guitar on "up up & away."

we love our fave vocal groups, but where would they be
without these guys? (just think of the intro alone for
"stoned soul picnic.")

you've got to see it when it comes out. it was truly a
revelation to me.

walterphil said:
i saw an advanced screening of a documentary that will be released later this year, on a group of L A session
musicians that now go by the name of the wrecking crew

Well, they don't go by the name "now" since this all happened in the 60's. I bought Hal Blaine's book several years ago when he wrote "The Wrecking Crew". He told me that the name came from older musicians who didn't care for the newer studio musicians who came dressed in T-shirts instead of the suit/tie thing, and they said the newer guys would wreck the business with attitudes like that. Didn't quite happen, though. :wink:

Carol Kaye said that she never liked the term "Wrecking Crew" herself, but the name stuck after a few years.

Capt. Bacardi

We wore Levi's and T-Shirts, drank coffee and smoked cigarettes--we were really very straight, responsible people...! -- Hal Blaine

What was referred to as the "new creed" in the "new breed" of Session Musicians...

Dave

...Who belongs to a "Wrecking Crew", himself...!!! :wink: :neutral:inkshield:

i see. i misunderstood then.

wow you know hal? so impressed!

my friend that helped sell the movie met them all, but he said hal was very cranky, but he fell in love with carol kaye

Weren't there actually about 60 or so musicians who made up the Wrecking Crew? There was a "core" group, I guess; but I was under the impression that there were a lot of people who filtered in and out of the Crew over the years. Blaine, Tommy Tedesco, Carole Kaye et.al. were the mainstays; but there were a lot of others. Wasn't Pete Jolly part of the group for awhile?

Dan

Moondog said:
If I'm not mistaken, I think Julius Wechter was in this mix somewhere, sometimes. No?

Julius played on a few Brian Wilson (Beach Boys) arrangements. In fact, on the Pet Sounds box set, you can hear Brian giving Julius directions over the talkback...discussing his ability to go from vibes to timpani during the course of one song, if I correctly recall (which also includes a rather off-colour (non-PC) remark from, presumably, another session musician...) For whatever reason, during his sessions, Brian preferred the tapes to continuously roll -- thereby including both his direction, session dialogue and chatter, with not only the session musicians, but the Beach Boys themselves while working through their harmonies.

Actually, to set the record straight(er), session musicians neither played on all Beach Boys LPs nor Association LPs. Unlike the 5th Dimension who were "singers" and neither wrote nor arranged music for their LPs, the Beach Boys and the Association were self-contained groups who principally recorded and arranged their own compositions. Just one viewing of the Association's Monterey Pop '67 festival opening performance reveals these guys rocked pretty friggin' hard (for a "vocal" group), in fact session musicians only wholly played on their 3rd and 4th LPs [Insight Out ['67] and Birthday ['68]-- when Bones Howe was producing (no surprise there)] -- while the balance of their LPs ('66 - '71) either featured the ensemble in toto or as amended by session aces. As for the Beach Boys, here's a wonderful quote from critic, Richie Unterberger in the AMG discussing their second LP:
There are also a surprisingly high quotient of instrumentals (five) that demonstrate that, before session musicians took over most of the parts, the Beach Boys could play respectably gutsy surf rock as a self-contained unit.

Looked at the site but can't get the trailer to play in my system for some reason...no clue why, I think I have every "player" in the universe on this thing.

The fact that its playing at all those film festivals tells that this is a movie in search of a distributor. Probably not mainstream enough fare to get picked up by a major though...most people will probably have to wait for the DVD to see it.

Notice the "song list" link -- there are a couple of TJB tunes on there that I wouldv'e sworn were played exclusively by the TJB group itself -- although the WC musicians played on lots of tracks that Herb's guys played on as well.

Mike Blakesley said:
Looked at the site but can't get the trailer to play in my system for some reason...no clue why, I think I have every "player" in the universe on this thing.

It seems to be Quicktime. I get a big "Q" while it loads, then it plays fine. Perhaps you need to update your Quicktime player?

Harry

I'll have to try it on my day-job computer. It has iTunes on it, so the latest version of Quicktime is always available. I do have Quicktime on the theatre computer but you could be right, it might be an old version.

Better yet is to download Quicktime Alternative (search for it on Google), as it loads a very lightweight player with all the latest codecs. Keeps the program from taking over as your "everything" player, as these tend to do. I've done this also with Real Alternative, which is a small player that plays *only* the RealAudio and other Real file types; their player has always been "spammy", and takes over all of your playback types forcibly.

Moondog said:
If I'm not mistaken, I think Julius Wechter was in this mix somewhere, sometimes. No?

If you look at the site it says that there is an interview with Julius and trombonist Lew McCreary - both of whom died a few months later.

Capt. Bacardi

just watched it again with a friend tonight. yes, hal christened the name wrecking crew initially, but many in the 20+ person group had never heard the name till much later.

julius was a member (at least as far as the tjb version.) he played on the original "lonely bull" for $15 (what each member was paid.) when it was a monster hit, herb mailed each and every player their scale wages.

herb also said the original title for "spanish flea" was "spanish fly."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom