Thicker Vinyl Story

"Vinyls" isn't a word. And if that's how an article starts, I won't even be bothered to read it.

But yeah, anyone who's bought modern records already knows many of them are thicker. They don't really need to be, but I've had quieter surfaces with some records when they are pressed on thicker vinyl. But they are also harder to press, and wear out stampers more quickly, especially if it's a 200 gram pressing.

Don’t tell RCA or the Dynaflexes about this.
Or UMe.

Those dynaflex "sound sheets"...they were nearly slim enough to stick inside an issue of National Geographic. 😁 I purchased an RCA Red Seal that was sealed (wait, what?), and wasn't aware that the record inside was a dynaflex, since it was a reissue. Surprisingly most of those I've bought have played back quietly, but this latest one was quite warped. Even with a periphery weight, the vinyl is so thin that the warps take on a life of their own.

MCA used to be known for its poor quality vinyl in the 80s--a lot of "regrind" where some even found bits of old labels in the vinyl. You'd think Universal would have learned but, aside from the Acoustic Sound series of records they've been selling (which are pressed at QRC in Kansas), their vinyl product leaves much to be desired. If the mastering is good, the vinyl is bad, and vice versa.

"Vinyls" isn't a word. And if that's how an article starts, I won't even be bothered to read it.

But yeah, anyone who's bought modern records already knows many of them are thicker. They don't really need to be, but I've had quieter surfaces with some records when they are pressed on thicker vinyl. But they are also harder to press, and wear out stampers more quickly, especially if it's a 200 gram pressing.

Those dynaflex "sound sheets"...they were nearly slim enough to stick inside an issue of National Geographic. 😁 I purchased an RCA Red Seal that was sealed (wait, what?), and wasn't aware that the record inside was a dynaflex, since it was a reissue. Surprisingly most of those I've bought have played back quietly, but this latest one was quite warped. Even with a periphery weight, the vinyl is so thin that the warps take on a life of their own.

MCA used to be known for its poor quality vinyl in the 80s--a lot of "regrind" where some even found bits of old labels in the vinyl. You'd think Universal would have learned but, aside from the Acoustic Sound series of records they've been selling (which are pressed at QRC in Kansas), their vinyl product leaves much to be desired. If the mastering is good, the vinyl is bad, and vice versa.
I owned a couple of those dreaded dynaflex LPS over the years and many were partially warped but playable I hated that with a passion but by the 80s RCA was either using better vinyl or at least they weren't warped now as far as MCA is concerned my results were mixed depending on the album and the pressing some sounded just fine however some reissues for example the Crusaders free as the wind reissue with platinum plus stamped on the cover sounded awful the original ABC release as well as the CD reissue sounded far better and some of Spyro Gyra's early LPS on Amherst and infinity ( the first 2 ) were good the MCA reissues not so much but oddly enough first pressings of their MCA albums after Morning Dance sounded fine And The Amherst CD reissues are far better to my ears of course those are just a couple examples from my vantage point.

Those Platinum Plus reissues were hot garbage. That was how I bought many of the early Steely Dan albums, when I first got into them. Not all that good sounding but worse, noisy vinyl. I think those were a cheap, midline reissue series. I have an early pressing of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road and it has surprised me with how well it plays. (My mom's cousin had it when new, but I don't think she played it much, as it looks and sounds like new.)

I have a couple of records on other labels that RCA apparently pressed in the early 70s. The two copies of Cal Tjader's Tjader album (his first album after returning to Fantasy) are similarly Dynaflex-thin pressings. They are both flat, though, and sound quite good.

Back
Top Bottom