This Masquerade - Richard's incredible piano.

Here are three variations. Variation #1 involves one fill (the simple fill you hear on the '85 mix and beyond), variation #2 is a second fill, and the third variation is both fills mixed together (which is what you hear in the 1970 mix)

Going back to the original 1970 version and comparing it to these multitracks snippets, it sounds like an edit was made at 0.31 on the original album version. There’s an audible cut there to my ears, and it’s glaringly obvious where Richard’s “we’ve only” line comes in way too loud as if to almost cover it.

Also, on that first tom tom fill in the above video, there are three cadences. The first is audible, but the third didn’t make it to the final record as I recall and was muted.

Last edited:
The entire solo was improvised. Richard said that when he attempted to replace it in "stereo" on the RPO, he had a hard time figuring out what he played during one figure in the introduction solo piano. I charted it out for him (sort of as a joke, being the smart aleck I am) and gave it to him. When I saw him again about a week later, he said, That was it! That's exactly what I played ... you took it right down ... sterling ear!

I told him I guess I'd learned from the best and couldn't believe he was having a hard time, because HE wrote it LOL
Thanks Chris. Case closed as far as I’m concerned!

With the exception of "Superstar" and "Beasts," none of the drums were redone on any of that early stuff prior to RPO. And Richard reverted back to the original drum take on "Superstar" after 1985 because of all of the leakage issues, opting only to use the original take on subsequent remixes.

"Masquerade" never got a refresh on either piano or drums (the keyboard recorded within the 'track' is a Wurlitzer electric, which is single-channel mono, regardless). So, the updated "stereo" solo on this one would have been unique at this point. :)

As for any RE-retakes with regard to stereo piano, it was more about making everything more sonically cohesive within the (RPO) album itself if that makes sense.
Hey Chris:

I believe Hal Blaine redid his drums for 5 tracks on the 'Yesterday Once More' compilation in 1985. I know that 'Let Me Be The One' was one of them because it's mentioned in the Ray Coleman book that they were all in tears while cutting the new drums and piano.

I don't know why I remember 5 songs, but it's sticking out in my memory. LOL>> i could be off my rocker.

Bob

Hey Chris:

I believe Hal Blaine redid his drums for 5 tracks on the 'Yesterday Once More' compilation in 1985. I know that 'Let Me Be The One' was one of them because it's mentioned in the Ray Coleman book that they were all in tears while cutting the new drums and piano.

I don't know why I remember 5 songs, but it's sticking out in my memory. LOL>> i could be off my rocker.

Bob
I don’t think “Let Me Be The One” was on that compilation. I think the remix of that one was first on “From the Top.”

I don’t think “Let Me Be The One” was on that compilation. I think the remix of that one was first on “From the Top.”

Let Me Be The One wasn’t on the 1985 hits collection. Maybe that’s where I was getting confused in my earlier post about the tears in the studio. It was probably for the box set sessions in 1990.

Let Me Be The One wasn’t on the 1985 hits collection. Maybe that’s where I was getting confused in my earlier post about the tears in the studio. It was probably for the box set sessions in 1990.
No, you were correct with regard to Hal's quote about being in tears. This was referring to the 1985 remixes.

There were only two tracks that got entirely new drum takes—"Superstar" and "Bless the Beasts and Children." The updated drum track on "Superstar" is only heard in the 1985 remix (and soundtrack mix for The Karen Carpenter Story). All post-'85 remixes revert back to Hal's original drum track from 1971.

"Beasts" on the other hand maintained the updated drum track in subsequent remixes.

@A&M Retro: The U.S. release of Yesterday Once More contained a total of eight updated (re)mixes if memory serves me correctly, two of which included entirely new drum takes and five that included new, stereo piano and/or keyboard takes. :)

Back
Top Bottom