TJB on Andy Williams Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the heads up Cap'n. This is a great video. They play live and not pantomimed and there's even some help from Andy on 2 of the songs! This must have been done during the non-Tonni Kalash period as he is not in the band. Loved it though, hope it sees DVD release some day.

David

They sure played "A Taste of Honey" fast! WOW! I liked the "Tijuana Taxi" drum solo. I wish AW wasn't in the way. Cool video. It was so happy and youthful..............Jay

hi guys
I remember that andy williams show. the other trumpet art, if one would notice he was the same one on the hollywood palace when their first appearance was.
bob

Thanks, Cap'n B!!

What a find -- how wonderful to see and hear a real performance. Nick is too too much! Dang, what a drummer!! Everyone's so happy and excited -- what a great time to be making music. ([sigh] --can only imagine...and look where pop music is 40 years later -- what the France happened??) So what's the story with this Art cat?

(If I correctly understand things, unlike other variety shows, Andy's actually featured genuine performances... I've seen clips of Tom Jobim, Simon & Garfunkel, and The Association -- it's all truly live.)

Thanks again -- sure made for a nice after-work surprise.

Watch carefully during "A Taste of Honey". Nick sits still during the lead-in on the bass tom. Who's playing that, then? An invisible Hal Blaine? And, indeed, who's playing the unseen piano?

Although the guys do appear to be playing live, I guess there's probably a backing track in the mix there as well. Pity there's no Julius, though - notably in the break of "Taxi".

Even so, I enjoyed watching it!

iiiOlé!!! :bandit: The TjB on the Andy Williams Show!!!

It was Fun... :tongue:artyhat:

Dave

Tony Currie said:
Watch carefully during "A Taste of Honey". Nick sits still during the lead-in on the bass tom. Who's playing that, then? An invisible Hal Blaine? And, indeed, who's playing the unseen piano?

Nick Ceroli is playing the bass drum on that part as he does on the Brass Are Comin' live segment and Lou Pagani is there on piano. You can clearly see him at certain points in the video.

David

David/Tijuana Taxi is correct in his observations -- Lou is clearly visible (at the end of A Taste Of Honey in between Herb and Bob -- hitting those last three notes at the song's end). The ATOH intro is a kick drum not a floor tom -- the difference is easily heard + watch Nick's arms playing the triplet crescendo during the kicks. If you still don't believe its live, listen critically to the trumpet performance during Tijuana Taxi -- it totally drops down a couple notches (flubbed notes, and less-centered attacks/entrances) with Andy's antics. [Don't ever disturb a trumpeter while he/she's playing! This ain't no Jewish wedding band!]

-James

Also, Herb mentions Lou when Andy asks him to introduce the band, so I had a feeling he was in there somewhere.

hi guys
I was watching the andy williams video over and over again and from I saw it looks like nick is playing the floor tom, from the camera angle one can't really tell but it does sound like nick is pounding on the floor tom. unless I need my glasses changed lol. now as for herb's trumpet that looks like it was a silver one, like a king sliver flair, becasuse herb's benge is gold plated.
any comments please post them ok guys.
thanks
bob

Herb was definitely playing his Benge. Whether it was silver or gold plated at this point is hard to tell on this video. The lighting and video quality can do funny things with color. You should see some of the silver trumpets sold on e-bay that look gold in the pictures because of the lighting and vice versa. Since this show was taped late 1965, as is evident by Andy referring to GOING PLACES as "the new album", Herb's horn may not have been gold plated yet. Don't know for sure, but make no mistake, he is playing a Benge.

David

WOW I can't stop playing that clip! That's some really cool upbeat LIVE early Tijuana Brass! Can't say enough good things about Nicky. He makes it all look so easy. Too bad there was many camera changes. Would really have loved to see Nicky do his thing along with Lou & Pat. Did anybody notice he had his extra crash cymbal , I only saw once before on his Live at the Hollywood bowl with Dudley Moors & Ray Brown video.
What episode from Andy Williams was that? Is it available??
I didn't notice an answer.
Lets have more more more live clips!!!!

I'm getting no hits on google for Art Bushagen
I thought it sounded like Mushagen
any ideas or better ears!

I gotta learn English...meant to say :too bad there weren't many camera changes..

I have this on DVD and it sounds like Bushagen, but again, I'm not sure on the spelling. I tried a variety of spellings but never found anything. He may have just been some local guy that Herb used while Tonni was out (and I'm guessing that Tonni may have had a prior committment, which may explain his absence from the Brass at this time). After all, there were a zillion trumpet players in the L.A. area. :D

Capt. Bacardi

captain
you said you have that on DVD? what is the name of that DVD becasue I want to buy it if is avalible in the stores.
bob

Captain,
May I ask where you found the DVD? Is it the whole Andy Williams show?
I need to add this to my collection!!
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Marty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom