TJB on Andy Williams Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Herb Whats with not pointing out each band member!!.He looks like he's trying to recite the 50 states or something by memory.He also seems to be really shy & can barely make out each word. HUMMMMM a lot like me.
We still love ya Herb!

I just received the DVD today, but it only has the two numbers, "The Lonely Bull" & "(A)Taste of Honey"...I listened close to the introductions and I, too, thought it sounded like Art Mushagen, so after some 'digging' I found out there was an Art Mooshagian who played in The Johnny Hamlin Quintet, and lo & behold, on the album cover looks like Art (on the left). You can google the album and it should pop up - I think one is on eBay - not sure if that's the one or not, but I'm sure, now, that it's Art Mooshagian.

Marty said:
I'm getting no hits on google for Art Bushagen
I thought it sounded like Mushagen
any ideas or better ears!

A small correction (maybe)...here is the site of the album cover of the Johnny Hamlin Quintet: cgi.ebay.com/JOHNNNY-HAMLIN-*%5BFeat.-Marci-Miller%5D*-ARGO-%5B'60%2FDG%5D--:_

It may be Art Mooshagian on the left, but it also could be him - second from left, without mustache (couldn't tell from the pic). Both guys look like him.

Marty said:

I tried looking this up and didn't find a commercial DVD available...it could be discontinued, or it could be one of those "Not sold in stores" packages.

I guess this is the LP cover that pianorman is talking about (since his link doesn't work):
!BWEVefgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBKVn8Ll7Bw~~_12.JPG

And an 8x10 of the group (although it doesn't look like the same trumpeter):
39d3_12.JPG

Capt. Bacardi

Mike Blakesley said:
I tried looking this up and didn't find a commercial DVD available...it could be discontinued, or it could be one of those "Not sold in stores" packages.

It's not on a commercial DVD. See my post at the top of the page.

Capt. Bacardi

Captain Bacardi: Sorry about the link - yeah I tried it, too - with no luck. For one thing they had Johnny spelled with 3 'N's LOL. I'm in agreement with you that the guy in the 8x10 doesn't look like Art - but I'll have to look at it again. I'm leaning toward the guy 2nd from left on the album cover is Art Mooshagian - same nose / hair style, etc. I believe the album is circa 1960 - he could have grown the mustache after (unless he has a trimmed one in the album shot - couldn't tell)...after all, Nick Ceroli didn't have one on the back cover of "Going Places" (more noticable in a different band pose that's inside one of the covers of the remastered series of the TJB - under where the cd fits in). You guys have seen Nick on YouTube from the Ray Anthony shows, right? (full-length videos from his show, "Club Anthony")...great features of Nick playing short solos on "St. Louis Blues", from the show, "Salute to the big bands"

Captain Bacardi said:
I guess this is the LP cover that pianorman is talking about (since his link doesn't work):
!BWEVefgBGk~$(KGrHgoH-CwEjlLl)G!HBKVn8Ll7Bw~~_12.JPG

And an 8x10 of the group (although it doesn't look like the same trumpeter):
39d3_12.JPG

Capt. Bacardi

I got the video (DVD) on The Best of Andy Williams, Vol 7 (original air date January 10, 1966). However...the only 2 songs they play are "The Lonely Bull" and "(A) Taste of Honey".

Just a thought...but I was thinking that Tonni could have been absent from this (as well as Hollywood Palace and The Dean Martin Show) because of recording obligations with Phil Spector, as he was part of his 'Wall of Sound' people (but not part of the Wrecking Crew)

Who knows the date of the earliest-known video of the TJB?...so far I've heard that there is footage of The Hollywood Palace from 1965, but I haven't seen it, yet - nor do I know where one may buy a copy. If anyone knows what series it's from, or how to get it / see it, please notify me directly at: [email protected], or on this forum. If I find the info. - I'll post it for all to see.

Marty said:
WOW I can't stop playing that clip! That's some really cool upbeat LIVE early Tijuana Brass! Can't say enough good things about Nicky. He makes it all look so easy. Too bad there was many camera changes. Would really have loved to see Nicky do his thing along with Lou & Pat. Did anybody notice he had his extra crash cymbal , I only saw once before on his Live at the Hollywood bowl with Dudley Moors & Ray Brown video.
What episode from Andy Williams was that? Is it available??
I didn't notice an answer.
Lets have more more more live clips!!!!

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the You Tube link at the top of this post is no longer active. If clicked on, you will get a notice that the footage has been removed. Hopefully it will get reposted.

WOOOWWWW!!! :oneeye: Nice job, "Vista"!! These finds should be the buzz of these boards for quite a while. Many thanks for posting such sharp, clear vintage videos! Rare indeed!

For those who haven't yet seen them, there is also a wonderful, rather early video on YouTube of Herb and the Brass, again w/Art M. filling in for Tonni, on the Dean Martin Show, doing awesome uptempo versions of "Bittersweet Samba" and "El Presidente."

pianorman said:
I just received the DVD today, but it only has the two numbers, "The Lonely Bull" & "(A)Taste of Honey"...I listened close to the introductions and I, too, thought it sounded like Art Mushagen, so after some 'digging' I found out there was an Art Mooshagian who played in The Johnny Hamlin Quintet, and lo & behold, on the album cover looks like Art (on the left). You can google the album and it should pop up - I think one is on eBay - not sure if that's the one or not, but I'm sure, now, that it's Art Mooshagian.

Marty said:

That is the same guy, he happens to be my Uncle and is alive and well at the age of 82 living in Fresno california

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom