TJB reissues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found another site with some more detailed information on Lost Treasures, and retail prices of the CDs! This comes from digitallyobsessed.com:

FEBRUARY 1

Herb Albert: Lost Treasures (CD)

DK 32867

Lost Treasures contains tracks Herb Alpert recorded between 1963 and 1974, some rare and others never-before released. Much like his South Of The Border, Alpert interprets songs written by popular music's greatest writers, including Burt Bacharach and Hal David (I Might Frighten Her Away), James Taylor (Fire and Rain) and a second salute to the The Beatles with his version of And I Love Her. Other standout tracks include Cat Stevens' The Whistle Song, which was written specifically for Alpert, and Bacharach and David's (They Long To Be) Close To You which, in 1970, Alpert felt was better suited for The Carpenters' sophomore A&M release.

Suggested retail price is $18.98.

Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass: The Lonely Bull (Re-Issue) (CD)

DK 32771

Originally released in 1962, The Lonely Bull is Herb Alpert's debut album, and one of the first three releases in the Herb Alpert Signature Series. This remastered album, which features such favorites as Desafinado, Never On Sunday and the title track Lonely Bull, also includes an expanded booklet with new liner notes to which Herb Alpert contributed.

Suggested retail price is $13.98.

Herb Albert & The Tijauana Brass: South Of The Border (Re-Issue) (CD)

DK 32772

Originally released in 1964, South Of The Border is another of the first three releases in the Herb Alpert Signature Series. This remastered album, which features such favorites as The Girl From Ipanema and I've Grown Accustomed To Her Face," includes an expanded booklet with new liner notes to which Herb Alpert contributed.

Suggested retail price is $13.98.

I just love the collection title "Herb Alpert Signature Series" :D

So, on Lost Treaures we have two unreleased tracks: "(They Long To Be) Close To You" and The Beatles' "And I Love Her". :thumbsup:

Thanks for the info Plucky--I'll add it to my original post! :)

(Would have helped if they had spelled Alpert correctly in two of those three releases! :wink: )

....but if "I Might Frighten Her Away" is a "Lost Treasure", does this mean we won't be getting a release of You Simle The Song Begins?

Stephen

I would expect a different take or arrangement of I Might Frighten Her Away. Also noted was The Whistle Song and Fire And Rain.

Great to have an "over-title" for the reissues. The Herb Alpert Signature Series has such class! I have a slight concern for the inclusion of "I Might Frighten Her Away" as well, but it IS possible this was a song the Brass first tried much earlier and never released until YS-TSB and this version may be one of the earlier attempts. To think we won't get the two reformed TJB albums would be a disappointment I wouldn't want to face!

But I have searched the Digitally Obesessed website for this and have not been able to find it anywhere. Hates off to Plucky for scrounging up the info. Nice prices, too!

--Mr Bill

I hope that FANDANGO may eventually see the "light of day" as a CD...

There is, IMO, some of Herb's finest trumpet playing on that one...

Mr Bill said:
Great to have an "over-title" for the reissues. The Herb Alpert Signature Series has such class! I have a slight concern for the inclusion of "I Might Frighten Her Away" as well, but it IS possible this was a song the Brass first tried much earlier and never released until YS-TSB and this version may be one of the earlier attempts.

That Bacharach song was written around the early 70s IIRC, so I don't think the original mid 60s Brass lineup would have recorded it. If anything, I'd say it could have been as early as Summertime. Could be an alternate arrangement, though.

Signature Series. I like it. :thumbsup:

The song [I Might Frighten Her Away] is from the Lost Horizon movie which was filmed in 1973, so the song was from that era.

It also appears on Bacharach's LIVING TOGETHER album which came out around the same time as the YS-TSB album.

Judging from the list price of Lost Treasures compared to the other two CDs seems to indicate that there will be a large number of tracks. I like the idea of the TJB doing "And I Love Her", which to me sounds like a natural tune for the Brass.

Capt. Bacardi

I'm intrigued by the "Herb Alpert Signature Series" label. Undoubtedly this will be some kind of logo on the package. I wonder it if will be superimposed over the A&M logo on the cover art?

Speaking of cover art, we know what TLB and SOTB will look like. What kind of cover will Lost Treasures have?

Agree wholeheartedly that "And I Love Her" would be a TJB natural.

Expectantly,
Mike

Speaking of cover art, we know what TLB and SOTB will look like. What kind of cover will Lost Treasures have?

Idea for the Lost Treasure album: Herb Alpert & the the rest of the surviving Tijuana Brass members can dress up in pirate outfits digging for treasure...the treasure box with a big label "Treasure Of San Miguel". This would be a riot!..so unlikely though :laugh:

Steve Sidoruk said:
I would expect a different take or arrangement of I Might Frighten Her Away. Also noted was The Whistle Song and Fire And Rain.

Maybe I MIGHT FRIGHTEN HER AWAY will be a vocal version...as I remember, LOST HORIZON was an embarassingly bad movie that tanked at the box office...many dubbed it "LOST INVESTMENT". I could see how a single might have been left unreleased at the last minute, since the movie was a bomb...

Randy assurred us that ALL the TJB albums would be rereleased, and I'd go with that.

Dan

Another idea: Assuming there are enough tracks, they could do two Lost Treasures releases....the first one in February, and the next one about halfway through the campaign (or at the end) to goose the public's interest. Shades of the "Beatles Anthology" series. Those all hit the top ten.

Montana Moviehouse Maven Mike said:
...they could do two Lost Treasures releases....the first one in February, and the next one about halfway through the campaign (or at the end) to goose the public's interest.

That's what I was thinking ion my earlier post on this very subject. Imagine the thrill when we get Lost Treasures if we see a little "Volume 1" after the title. In fact, this could be the very reason they're skipping (for the time being) SP4103 -- having two CDs, one with "Vol 1" and another with "Vol 2" hitting the racks at the same time may confuse buyers not as knowledgable as we here are...

But if the first one contains "El Bimbo" and "Whistlestar" we'd have to assume this is it (and that the rumored third reunion TJB album will not be a part of the series). But I am ever hopeful and optimistic. It has taken this long to get this far!

--Mr Bill

I'm banking on only one "Lost Treasures". I think one plan of action might have been to pick the *good* treasures, not scrape the bottom of the barrel for marginal tracks. Still, considering the average length of a 60s TJB song, there could be as many as 25 tracks on this one. And that's a lot of treasures!

Right -- the "scraping of the bottom of the barrel" would come after Herb has gone to that big jazz band in the sky. (At least that's what happens with everyone else, it seems.)

True...either that or it would be like the Sinatra estate and *nothing* unusual would get released. :wink:

I've been thinking about a couple of tunes that are mentioned for the Lost Treasures disc. For example, "Close To You" - will this be a vocal? Remember that Herb said he didn't care for the line "sprinkle moon dust in your hair", which leads me to believe he actually sang this instead of just playing it. And will he incorporate the little piano thing that he made Richard Carpenter keep in their version of the song?

And on "And I Love Her" - I have a feeling this will be similar to "Tangerine" or "More And More Amor", kind of a laid-back bossa, with the trumpets in thirds on the bridge. Just a hunch.

"I Might Frighten Her Away" - maybe this is a stripped-down version, sans strings?

Capt. Bacardi
...guessing, online...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom