Tony Bennett Dies at 96

JohnFB

She was born to belong to the lines of a song...
I've loved Tony's unique interpretations of the incomparable songs of the Great American Songbook for decades - like Karen he was one of a kind and never to be replaced - and his music, like her's - will live for generations to come.

I tried to upload a. Ideo of that song but I got a message that it was unavailable for that purpose...yes, it's a great version!

Tony was one of the last great crooners that I heard growing up. I still here him now and then on a local FM station that plays the classics from 80's and earlier.

I liked his songs "I wanna be around" "Top hat white tie and tails" among several favorites he was truly a class act there will never be another like him He will be missed. RIP Mr Bennett

End of an era. Too bad there isn't a crop of younger guys taking up some of those songs. Maybe there'll be a "Tony Bennet Tribute" act someday, if there arent some already.

End of an era. Too bad there isn't a crop of younger guys taking up some of those songs. Maybe there'll be a "Tony Bennet Tribute" act someday, if there arent some already.
Michael Buble and Harry Connick, Jr. are two who come to mind that have recorded many of these great songs...

My late parents when I was a baby only bought the 45 single "Fly Me To The Moon" & the 45 flip "How Insensitive" (from 1965 "If I Ruled The World: Songs From The Jet Set") BUT I do have that on CD!!

If I had to pick a favorite song from Bennett's brilliant career it would be "This Is All I Ask" recorded in 1963. Composed by Gordon Jenkins. No one could sing a pop ballad better than Tony. He was a master of slowing the ballad down and making every word in the song count. I love the ending with the dramatic build up as he sings: "And let the music play as long as there is a song to sing." It always brings a lump in my throat.

Nobody sings this Jobim classic better than Tony--with a great arrangement by Don Costa from 1965. Tony's interpretation makes you feel like you are in Rio

Interestingly, Tony was a natural baritone, however he tended to sing in a higher tenor register.

Interestingly, Tony was a natural baritone, however he tended to sing in a higher tenor register.
Didn't realize that - but when one thinks about his voice on so many songs it makes sense - however, those two vocal categories, or registers, are not mutually exclusive, as there is some overlap between the upper end of the baritone range and the lower end of the tenor range. So, it would be easy for most good singers to slide back and forth between them at will.

Did you know that the lower end of Karen's contralto range reaches down into the upper end of the baritone range. And conversely, since she had a 3 octave range (more or less) her upper range reached into the lower end of the tenor range. The amazing thing with Karen was that in that lower part of her range her voice lost nothing, it didn't weaken or waver or become too soft. In fact, it became even more clear and rich and resonant - and beautiful. Hence, those iconic "low notes" that everyone cherishes. If you want to hear her at her very best down there in "the basement" there is no better place than the verses of the sadly beautiful song "Where Do I Go From Here"...

Reactions: lj
Another legend passed this year. I'm not a fan but do appreciate his talents and his contribution to the music world. 👍

Harry Connick Jr. comes to mind, and he's also a composer, pianist, and has led and toured his own big band. Not the best voice but still more listenable IMHO than so many of the other hacks out there today who can't hold a candle to Tony, Frank Sinatra, etc.

Back
Top Bottom