Top of the World 2005 - Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAZZ4JEFF

The third annual Top of the World concert at the Carpenter Center was a great success. Thousands of dollars were raised for music education in the schools.

For those of us looking for Richard to perform, we were disapointed. This is my third "TOTW" show and it featured the least musical involvement from Richard. As usual, he was a gracious host and spent time with everyone who asked. Even his children posed for pictures from Carpenter fans.

However, his performance was short and strictly family. Richard performed four tunes.

1/ "Ain't you glad you're you" with Collin Carpenter
2/ Put on a happy face with Mindy Carpenter
3/ Rainy days & Mondays with Tracy Carpenter
4/ Top of the world sing a long with the entire family.

No new Carpenter news, no solo performance by Richard. And this year, there was no backup band. Only Richard at the piano.

While it's always great to see and hear Richard, I really long for a Richard performance of his music. He is so talented and a great solo performer, I'd love to see him in a cabaret format. He has so much to share.

The Carpenter center continues to assist local schools, and Richard is a major part. "TOTW" volume 4 is already set for 2006.

Thank you very much, Jeff, for you review!
Did Richard talk about new album or any news?
Was Taylor at TOTW this time?

Sakura

Jeff, I can almost feel your disappointment! But, at least you were there. How were the children's performances compared to last year? Like Sakura, I would like to know if the littlest one, Taylor, was there?

I fear that none of us will see the kind of concert we would like to see with Richard. I think those days are over. This event is set up to benefit education and I am sure that was Richard's focus.

Thanks very much for your comments. Maybe Richard will post new pictures in the Photo Gallery. I, for one, would love it if he did!

Marilyn

Yes, Taylor was there. She came up on stage for the "TOTW" sing-along. She is very cute, but really did not perform.

No news, no Christmas CD information. Maybe we are lucky with the official web site now. All of the news will come from his new site.

thestitch said:
I fear that none of us will see the kind of concert we would like to see with Richard. I think those days are over.

Marilyn, I agree with you, I think the days of Richard touring are over, I just don't think he likes performing solo anymore. I soooo long for just one concert from Richard solo, just a once in a lifetime tour where he would visit my state and have Karen on the big screen and he would once again sing with her. (Surely he must know he would draw a huge crowd) But as the years go by I think it is just a dream of mine. Happy though that he is focusing on his family, his website & furthering the Carpenters music in studio.

Chris, can I dream right along with you? I agree how nice it would be. I have never seen the C's in concert or just Richard in concert. All we can do is console ourselves that he is so receptive to requests from the fans on his new website. And then, too, there is the new Christmas album to look forward to. I hope very much that it comes out this year!

Marilyn

This was also my 3rd time at TOTW. For me, the main draw is interacting with the fans and Richard's performance.

I had more fun with the people at our table (who are diehard C's fans) than watching/listening to the entertainment.

It seems like the CPAC is trying to minimize Richard's involvement more and more every year. I definitely had a good time, but I highly doubt that I will attend TOTW4.

In my opinion, RC will probably continue to perform in small concerts (like the CPAC 10th anniversary), but not the huge productions like in 1996-97. Like someone said above, his family is number #1 right now.

Hi All,

Just a short message from Peter -still within LA ...before flying back to UK Wed 23/3.

TOTW 3 was the best organised event yet ...really enjoyed the whole atmosphere & being wiith friends from UK, USA , Japan & more .....mike UK friend had a good conversation with Richard .... :D

Certainly Richard's musical performances were short this year ....will post further on possible reasons on UK RETURN ..... :wink:

Could Richard perform major concerts outside of LA again .....certainly possible ....even probable ...it depends on his projects, type of concerts , plans / options from music promoters & Richard's attitude .... :o

Remember Richard virtually retired in 1992/1993 period... no-live concerts , anything ....etc ....returning for major concerts & even Japanese tour in late 1990's ....no reason to assume this could not happen again once most of family have grown up , left home / attended University .....:cool:

Off today to UCLA A&M Exhibition -lots of interesting company items, info on Carpenters ,. Herb, Burt , Police, Rita & many more ....:cool:

Greetings to all...will message from UK on return :thumbsup:

Peter ...LA Internet Update

Thank you, Joe and Peter!! I'm glad you seems to have a good time.

I have not guessed that Peter sent a message from California!! I'm looking forward to more review from you!

Sakura

Chris wrote: I soooo long for just one concert from Richard solo, just a once in a lifetime tour where he would visit my state and have Karen on the big screen and he would once again sing with her. (Surely he must know he would draw a huge crowd)

It probably would draw a crowd, but I wonder how Richard Carpenter would feel about that. Hank Williams Jr hated it when he had to due the same basic thing when he first started in the business. Living off his father's name. Nat King Cole's daughter did a few concerts where she used a projected image of her father to sing with, but they were basically her concert and it was just for one number.

I would think Richard could technically make it happen but he may not want to, out of respect for his sister.

Just a thought.

Actually, Richard did use this technique at the Opening of the Carpenter center in 1994. He had a clip from "Music music music" of just Karen singing "From this moment on". Richard played piano live to the recorded Karen and it was breath taking. At his Japan concerts, he showed clips of them in concert, and played & sang along to the video.

I think it's just that Richard does not want to tour. Most major cities have symphony orchestras with a pops series. Artists play 45 minutes with the symphony and feature acts like Neil Sedaka, Linda Ronstadt, and Toni Tennille. Richard could surely perform the "Carpenters piano medley", or "Themes like old times", or the Warsaw concerto. These audiences would LOVE an evening with the Carpenters.

Just by watching Richard at the "TOTW-3", he has really taken a back seat to performing.

It takes some major sacrifice to do the touring circuit. Richard has a large (young) family now. I think he is as involved as he should be. It *would* be nice if he would revisit CPAC once a year for a couple of back-to-back concerts, employing the big screen with Karen and the whole 9-yards. But beyond that, I doubt we will see much more from Richard along the lines of performing. He has mentioned many times that he is a record maker and producer. CARPENTERS were an act and I believe that has been his only real reason for performing on stage in the first place. Just my $.02. -Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom