• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Tour of Carpenters Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick-An Ordinary Fool

I was visiting Randy's site

http://www.yesterdayoncemore.net/

on his site he provides a link to a video clip of inside the Carpenter's Newville Avenue home.

I never seen this before even though it was shot in 1999. Isn't that Randy in the video?

http://www.tvparty.com/xmascarpenters.html

On the right side of the page is the link for the video.

Really cool part when Randy talks about the sound proof room & how the band would practice in there all night. Then Evelyn Wallace said that after Karen passed away that her father would go in that sound proof room & would listen to Karen's voice, it was all surround sound so Karen was coming from all around & he could turn it up as loud as he wanted being it was sound proof.

Interesting tidbits of info.

Randy thanks so much I just discovered this now.

..who learned something new tonight, online...

Chris,

Yes-interesting footage of Now & Then family house ....:cool:

Visited Newville with friends in 1998 ....certainly fascinating to see music room , sound proofed room , huge lounge area as seen in several photos ....this places Karen & Richard in line with Rolling Stone interview descriptions and a few TV interviews with home footage ...:cool:

Peter

I was there in 1999 too. I was in the music room while Randy was being recorded :) Wow, has it been 5 years already!?!?

It amazed me that the people that bought the Newville house left the music room faily intact. Although I would think it's probably remodeled by now :sad:

One thing they have since done to the house is replace the brown garage doors with plain, all white ones - I was kind of disappointed when I saw it, because it was one of the first distinguishing features that made you realise, yes it's THAT house!!

I also see they have placed artificial deers and stuff all over the front lawn area, which I thought cheapened the look of the place from the outside.

Stephen

newvillefan said:
One thing they have since done to the house is replace the brown garage doors with plain, all white ones - I was kind of disappointed when I saw it, because it was one of the first distinguishing features that made you realise, yes it's THAT house!!

I also see they have placed artificial deers and stuff all over the front lawn area, which I thought cheapened the look of the place from the outside.

Stephen

I agree Stephen... those deers do look pretty tacky!

When I get rich, I'm gonna buy the Newville Avenue House. Weeeeeeeeee!!!

...having delusions of grandeur, online...

raz42289 said:

If I knew that Richard was selling the house back in 1998, I would've bought it and opened it as a C's museum. Sort of a "mini Graceland" :D

GOODY4SHOES said:
raz42289 said:

If I knew that Richard was selling the house back in 1998, I would've bought it and opened it as a C's museum. Sort of a "mini Graceland"

We will have to keep this as personal dreams / fantasy -given the location of Newville in a residential area :

1. Neighbours would be opposed to any museum in this area , thousands of fans visiting each month ..... :)

2. Downey City Hall would be unlikely to support any change from residential status to Carpenters House .... :!:

3. Richard is unlikely to be supportive ....

Let us keep this idea as a dream wish .....:cool:

Peter

I doubt that Downey would see fans in their 'thousands' each month. That figure more likely on an annual basis.

Plus, the same draw as with Gracelands is not there, as Newville has been in non-Carpenters related hands since the late 90s. To regular fans, the house is just another house. It's only the diehards who recognise and know it for what it is. (And finding it is like looking for a needle in a haystack!). :laugh:

Stephen

newvillefan said:
I doubt that Downey would see fans in their 'thousands' each month. That figure more likely on an annual basis.

Exactly!

Peter is just jealous because he lives so far away from LA :tongue: :laugh: :cry:

Just kidding Peter.

GOODY4SHOES said:
newvillefan said:

Exactly!

Peter is just jealous because he lives so far away from LA :tongue: :laugh: :cry:

Just kidding Peter ....

Well I may just have to move nearer to LA ....if Carpenters museum idea becomes a reality ....in ...maybe 2009 .... :wink:

Newville being residential is not really viable ....perhaps another central location in Downey or in Long Beach would be best locations .....:cool:

Given the worldwide success of Now & Then album with Newville House cover ....if Downey were to support Carpenters museum ....it would be far more than just a few hundred Carpenters long term / diehard fans visiting .....thousands per month would appear with enough media & publicity ....many quieter Carpenters fans would emerge ....just from USA / Canada alone .... :shock:

Carpenter Center Exhibit would if promoted more ....attract thousands of extra visitors .....but University / Center want to limit / control interest and do this by only making Exhibit available once a month ..( :!: ) and at actual Center events ..... :)

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom