• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Two holiday gifts:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joel Samberg

One, the seasonal music of the Carpenters. (That gift is for everyone.) Two, Grady Harp's review of my book, "Some Kind of Lonely Clown: The Music, Memory, and Melancholy Lives of Karen Carpenter." (That gift is for me!--and I am very grateful.) Grady is one of Amazon's top all-time reviewers. Here's some of what he said:

"Joel Samberg leaped into the arena of successful comedic writers with his excellent novel HOT AIR. Given his keen writing style and facile use of recalling savory moments and phrases to reinforce his story line give evidence of a well-prepared artist whose credentials include journalism, playwriting, and a rich knowledge of American culture. Now Joel takes us down a different avenue – memoirville – in this touching book about the life and times of popular singer Karen Carpenter of the famous team The Carpenters. Known for his tribute to her on the 30th anniversary of her early death, on NPR’s 'All Things Considered,' Joel tells it like a close friend and brings that sort of intimacy to his pages.

Most everyone accepted the fact that the very thin Karen had conflicts, but few people have addressed them like Joel: ‘the gifted singer, love-starved romantic, conflicted sister, obedient daughter, unpredictable jester, modest millionaire, optimistic dreamer, wannabe mother, emotional wreck, generous friend, and melancholy clown.’ It is told with warmth, but is not morbid. It is like hearing that familiar voice that for a dozen years was on the airways every day with our favorite songs." --Grady Harp, December 15

For details, visit the book's website at http://SomeKindofLonelyClown.org, or its Facebook page.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom