Two things vinyl

Song4uman

So when I was young, I had a Chicago 16 cassette (got it through Columbia House) and then later a CD. For my birthday (which is today...turned 53) I asked for the 180 gram vinyl album. It came on Monday. The edges were VERY sharp and towards the edge on one side was sort of a “glop” of vinyl. If a needle had hit that, it would have cause a huge issue. Contacted Amazon and a new copy came today. Looks good. Cleaned it and listening as I type. So possibly other companies have issues at times also.

Also, I recently found a great used vinyl by Nat King Cole. Really clean. It is on Capitol label and says it is Duophonic. Looked it up. It was a way Capitol used to make mono recordings have a stereo sound.

It is so cool. With headphones on it literally has a 3D sound. Hard to describe. Anyone else have more info on this process or understands what I mean by 3D?

Jonathan

I tend to make my own “Duophonic” sound with my NES by sticking the mono end of a Y-adapter into the NES’s mono audio and then running stereo cables to my surround system and getting “stereo” sound rather than audio on just the left or right channel.

Essentially Capitol just made a stereo recording of the mono masters and added some reverb and other electronic tricks, such as delaying one channel to give that “stereo” sound. Just about all the Beach Boys mono albums, like “Pet Sounds” got this treatment.

I

Essentially Capitol just made a stereo recording of the mono masters and added some reverb and other electronic tricks, such as delaying one channel to give that “stereo” sound. Just about all the Beach Boys mono albums, like “Pet Sounds” got this treatment.
And other Record labels did this same practice by "Electronically reprocessing" mono masters London/ Decca records Did exactly that with the earliest Rolling stones albums until the 1966 album "Aftermath" and Many other Labels did that when there were no true stereo masters available primarily from the days before stereo sound was introduced in the late 50s.

Back
Top Bottom