Vinyl Outsells CDs For The First Time In 35 Years!

From the RIAA report, for physical units sold. Columns, left to right, are 2021, 2022, and % change from 2021 to 2022.

1678493144837.png

LPs only increased 3.2% (which isn't much), but CDs had a very large drop of -28.4%. It isn't so much a surge in LP sales as it was a much larger drop in CD sales.

From the RIAA report, for physical units sold. Columns, left to right, are 2021, 2022, and % change from 2021 to 2022.

1678493144837.png

LPs only increased 3.2% (which isn't much), but CDs had a very large drop of -28.4%. It isn't so much a surge in LP sales as it was a much larger drop in CD sales.
Proving sadly CDs are indeed a Dying format.and in the future its possible vinyl will again lose its dominance as it did in the late 80s perhaps Something else will become dominant not to say vinyl or CDs are going away completely they will be more of a Niche product However this is just an opinion always subject to revision. But as the old saying goes "Time will Tell".

Still downloading & paying on Apple iTunes with the gift card. I go to Staples & get blank CD's & CD jewel cases at that place as well as copy the songs with timing & album cover on my printer & write the CD on Sharpie black ink & done since March of 2019!!

Part of the recent vinyl surge was driven by the younger generations who like owning something physical vs. a download or streaming. They've also discovered the treasure trove of music available in many used record stores. One thing about vinyl is that many of us have been buying it all along, and the sales numbers for used and out of print titles are not counted in the sales figures. So it really may not have dipped as much as the official sales figures would have let on. Also, vinyl available as imports I believe may not be counted in the RIAA's sales figures either.

I also would guess the drop in CD sales has more to do with manufacturers giving up on it. If there had been CDs available for sale, they likely would have sold in greater numbers. Nothing else could really explain such a large drop year-over-year. Sadly, so much of this is driven by the major labels--they see vinyl as their cash cow (and Record Store Day is crystal clear evidence of the ugly major label greediness that has taken over the event), and since CDs are digital, they probably see no reason to keep on making CDs if the same digital content can be sold without being attached to a manufactured product.

If anything, that article is very misleading--it's not like vinyl "surpassed" CDs; it's more like the bottom fell out of the CD market. (Given the source of that article, it's no surprise.)

Part of the recent vinyl surge was driven by the younger generations who like owning something physical vs. a download or streaming. They've also discovered the treasure trove of music available in many used record stores. One thing about vinyl is that many of us have been buying it all along, and the sales numbers for used and out of print titles are not counted in the sales figures. So it really may not have dipped as much as the official sales figures would have let on. Also, vinyl available as imports I believe may not be counted in the RIAA's sales figures either.

I also would guess the drop in CD sales has more to do with manufacturers giving up on it. If there had been CDs available for sale, they likely would have sold in greater numbers. Nothing else could really explain such a large drop year-over-year. Sadly, so much of this is driven by the major labels--they see vinyl as their cash cow (and Record Store Day is crystal clear evidence of the ugly major label greediness that has taken over the event), and since CDs are digital, they probably see no reason to keep on making CDs if the same digital content can be sold without being attached to a manufactured product.

If anything, that article is very misleading--it's not like vinyl "surpassed" CDs; it's more like the bottom fell out of the CD market. (Given the source of that article, it's no surprise.)
Also with the used and out of print are that some of the older records were cut from the original master tapes, which for one reason or another (junked, lost, high licensing prices) are unavailable, so the current “digital” masters are sourced from LP or reel-to-reel, 8-track, or in some cases 1/4-inch audio cassette, so the old LP’s sound better. Recently I just downloaded most of The Archies albums from iTunes, the “Digitally Remastered” ones, and on my iPhone’s built in speakers I can hear, especially in between tracks, the sound of the needle scraping the grooves and the occasionally pop and click (I can’t hear these flaws on my stereo when I play them through my Apple TV and TV into my stereo).

If anything, that article is very misleading--it's not like vinyl "surpassed" CDs; it's more like the bottom fell out of the CD market.

Yeah.... a better headline would be, "After 40 years, CD sales drop below vinyl" (I don't know the exact number of years, but I do remember the times when both formats were selling in the hundreds of millions of units. Those were the days!)

Yeah.... a better headline would be, "After 40 years, CD sales drop below vinyl" (I don't know the exact number of years, but I do remember the times when both formats were selling in the hundreds of millions of units. Those were the days!)
And there was that interesting transition period when cassettes eclipsed LPs, just prior to CDs building up steam and overshadowing both. I bought few pre-recorded cassettes. I did go through a period in the mid 70s when I'd gotten a proper cassette deck and had a couple of years of getting cassettes, but the fidelity was never there and I gave up. Eventually replaced all of them on LP or later on, on CD.

Recently I just downloaded most of The Archies albums from iTunes, the “Digitally Remastered” ones, and on my iPhone’s built in speakers I can hear, especially in between tracks, the sound of the needle scraping the grooves and the occasionally pop and click
It's appalling how bad some of those needle drops are--it's interesting how I can do better vinyl digitizing at home than the labels can. Sometimes it seems as though they don't bother to find clean copies of the records they are digitizing--I hear groove burn (wear) in addition to faint other noises in the background, much of which can be cured by finding a clean copy. As far as scratches go, in this day and age, studios should own a SugarCube and properly clean up those ticks and pops. They should also find it within their studio budget to get a cartridge that will properly track the grooves; inexpensive, not by any stretch of the imagination, but even an Audio Technica VM740ML or VM760SLC will out-track most others out there. It goes without saying that a solid-quality turntable, properly set up, will get the most out of it. Using a center weight and a peripheral weight or, in their absence, a vacuum platter, would mostly eliminate even minor warpage, and reduce the resonances of a record not properly contacting the platter surface.

I bet they don't even bother cleaning the records first--a Discwasher or carbon fiber brush isn't going to cut it. An ultrasonic cleaning followed by a wet vacuum would get all the crud and chemicals out of the grooves.

Will any of this make the recordings perfect? No. But it will leave most listeners, even casual ones, guessing as to whether or not the recording was copied from vinyl. Then again, few mass market listeners even care enough, so why bother?

It's appalling how bad some of those needle drops are--it's interesting how I can do better vinyl digitizing at home than the labels can. Sometimes it seems as though they don't bother to find clean copies of the records they are digitizing--I hear groove burn (wear) in addition to faint other noises in the background, much of which can be cured by finding a clean copy. As far as scratches go, in this day and age, studios should own a SugarCube and properly clean up those ticks and pops. They should also find it within their studio budget to get a cartridge that will properly track the grooves; inexpensive, not by any stretch of the imagination, but even an Audio Technica VM740ML or VM760SLC will out-track most others out there. It goes without saying that a solid-quality turntable, properly set up, will get the most out of it. Using a center weight and a peripheral weight or, in their absence, a vacuum platter, would mostly eliminate even minor warpage, and reduce the resonances of a record not properly contacting the platter surface.

I bet they don't even bother cleaning the records first--a Discwasher or carbon fiber brush isn't going to cut it. An ultrasonic cleaning followed by a wet vacuum would get all the crud and chemicals out of the grooves.

Will any of this make the recordings perfect? No. But it will leave most listeners, even casual ones, guessing as to whether or not the recording was copied from vinyl. Then again, few mass market listeners even care enough, so why bother?
Besides cleaning the record, why don’t they use one of those laser-record players, like a Laserdisc player read analog video and audio, for mastering from vinyl? I know some people don’t like the sound quality of those turntables, however that would be one way to get rid of the sound of the needle going through the groove, and possibly make a quieter master.

On a properly set up turntable, you don't hear much, if any, noise from a stylus going through the grooves. It's a painstaking process to set up a cartridge properly (azimuth angle, zenith angle, stylus rake angle, vertical tracking force, anti-skating, matching of tonearm effective mass to cantilever compliance, etc.), but the results are worth it. Attend an audio show and listen to one of the better rigs out there--it's almost indiscernable from digital and in some ways, is better (especially when sourced from analog). A studio slapping a garden variety cartridge onto a common DJ turntable and playing back LPs in questionable condition is going to get the results similar to those heard on the Archies releases, and others questionably sourced from vinyl. I've heard some terrible CDs made from needle drops in the past several years--with a little more care, they would have come out nicely. Even my quick and dirty needle drops on our YouTube channel aren't perfect, but sound better than some of the CDs I've heard over the years. (I'm sharing needle drops only to get the music out there.)

The ELP laser player requires LPs to be surgically clean, or that noise is rendered in fine detail along with the music. It also can dull the sound (softening the high end or low end) depending on the record. On top of it, they will only read black vinyl, so any record that was released on colored vinyl can't be played on it. (Some labels in the 50s, like Fantasy, released all of their records on colored vinyl.) They are made in Japan, and need to be returned there for any service or realignments, since they have no dealers. These turntables can be helpful for archiving vinyl but they are also not a complete success at it either. It would only have limited used, in other words--it can't work for all records.

If I were running a studio that only transferred vinyl to digital, I would have the ELP along with a couple of other turntables with different cartridges and electronics setups (different phono stages that had flexible impedance and capacitance adjustments) in order to get the most out of what I was transferring. Low noise and lack of wear is a large part of it, but it's not the whole story--the transfer that sounds most faithful to the original is what I would be aiming for. Aside from a SugarCube to remove any stray ticks or pops (well-kept LPs have few), there would be no other noise reduction (which sucks the life out of the music). The ELP is good for certain types of recoveries, but in other instances, playback with a stylus will get lower noise.

Even my needle drops sound pretty decent in the case of most of my leftover vinyl they have never been digitally released in any form and most likely lost to time for various reasons as discussed elsewhere there are good ways and bad ways to do needle drops Universal for example could replace the masters they lost in their 2008 fire by tracking down super clean vinyl and needle dropping them with the necessary software as Rudy Explained above now whether they are willing to make the investment or not It remains to be seen. In my opinion that would at least solve some of their issues so to speak but given their track record no pun intended I have my doubts

I have read that Universal did archive some of their music, but only in CD resolution. And that is not good enough to use for remastering, as the quality is too low to allow for any digital manipulation. They would need to upsample it to a higher resolution before doing any "remastering" and editing, but that will not do much to help.

Sony actually has the best archival system by way of the DSD format--they co-developed it with Philips to be used as an archival digital format in very high resolution. But as it worked out, the capacity of optical discs increased to where the digital data could fit on a disc, and SACDs were born. Sony did it right, though--they've archived a large portion of their Columbia/Epic catalog, along with later acquisitions (like RCA), and the format allows for producing any type of derivative like digital downloads (especially high-res), CDs, or even vinyl. So even if the original tapes degraded to the point of being unusable, the DSD archive of that tape is the best possible backup they would have.

In the mail today I got a 45 copy of The Archies single This Is Love/Throw A Little Love My Way (this is the West German single, from 1971, although the label has a 1969 copyright, not the LP album of the same name).

I’ve compared both songs to the iTunes release, and even taking into consideration that both are vinyl copies that I’m listening too, and the 45 is most likely an additional generation away from the original master tapes, as Kirshner/RCA most likely sent analog dub copies to West Germany in 1969/71, the digital iTunes versions sound flat and overly bassy and clipped. Whereas the 45 seems more alive and occasionally gets into the distortion range. Plus I think the 45 is a different take than what has been digitally released, since verse 2 (This Is Love) seems to have some different lyrics.

Sometimes the distortion was intentional--look at "Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen (which has what is called "limiter splatter"--the limiter pushed beyond its sane limits), and "Land of 1000 Dances" by Wilson Pickett, which might be tape overmodulation (a common trick back then to make a song appear to be louder than it is).

Sometimes the distortion was intentional--look at "Surfin' Bird" by The Trashmen (which has what is called "limiter splatter"--the limiter pushed beyond its sane limits), and "Land of 1000 Dances" by Wilson Pickett, which might be tape overmodulation (a common trick back then to make a song appear to be louder than it is).
I’m aware of that with the Beach Boys “Student Demonstration Time.

But, no this distortion I’m talking about is the more natural in the analog domain where it maybe hit +2db, +3db just from all the vocals and instruments causing the waveform to peak. Whereas the digital files seem to cut off those highs and some audio engineer was trying to make a poor vinyl transfer sound better.

But, no this distortion I’m talking about is the more natural in the analog domain where it maybe hit +2db, +3db just from all the vocals and instruments causing the waveform to peak.
Overmodulation. Or, electronics overdriven to clipping. Both are unlike digital exceeding 0dB where the A/D converter runs out of bits to represent the signal--it can sound quite nasty when that happens. Analog signals driven past the limits are much easier on the ears and not as catastrophic, and it was very common on earlier recordings, prior to the 70s when studios had much better equipment and plenty of tracks at their disposal.

Whereas the digital files seem to cut off those highs and some audio engineer was trying to make a poor vinyl transfer sound better.
Unfortunately that's the sad state of needle drops at someone else's hands. And I've heard so many poor ones on CDs and in digital formats. An engineer EQing it to get rid of noise really isn't doing the music any favors.

This is one of my favorite soul tracks, and the distortion makes the song more energetic:

Overmodulation. Or, electronics overdriven to clipping. Both are unlike digital exceeding 0dB where the A/D converter runs out of bits to represent the signal--it can sound quite nasty when that happens. Analog signals driven past the limits are much easier on the ears and not as catastrophic, and it was very common on earlier recordings, prior to the 70s when studios had much better equipment and plenty of tracks at their disposal.

Unfortunately that's the sad state of needle drops at someone else's hands. And I've heard so many poor ones on CDs and in digital formats. An engineer EQing it to get rid of noise really isn't doing the music any favors.
I also have to wonder how much the iTunes compression is also adding to the sound issues. I just checked and the files are MP4-audio 283kbps. I’m assuming AAC—-but 283, that’s pretty compressed.

It's probably not adding too much in the way of sound issues. I've found lossy digital compression to have the subtle effect of slightly "garbling" the sound (if that makes sense) or adding a slight "gauze" to the sound (a slight loss of definition and detail). 283kbps is still fairly respectable for lossy, as many can't tell the difference between 256kbps and lossless. AAC and WMA are better CODECs than the old MP3, so that's a plus also. The differences are more easily heard in direct comparisons between a lossless source and a lossy file, and using "pure" music that has few instruments which are recorded cleanly. Something "busy" like rock or popular music has the effect of covering up the artifacts of a lossy CODEC.

I've found it's common for an engineer to roll off the highs if a record has a lot of noise and/or wear ("groove burn") in an attempt to cover it up. Others use digital noise reduction, which has its own negative effect of making the music sound muffled and closed-in. My guess is that one or both of those are what you are likely hearing.

One of the best CDs I've ever heard from a series of needle drop was the 2-CD Rhino set of Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Rather than use RCA's tapes (many of which were "rechanneled" aka "fake stereo"), Rhino went back to either original acetates or the original metal parts to dub them in 78 RPM. There is slight noise, but the sound is as good as it gets and everything is heard cleanly.

1680140531987.png

It's probably not adding too much in the way of sound issues. I've found lossy digital compression to have the subtle effect of slightly "garbling" the sound (if that makes sense) or adding a slight "gauze" to the sound (a slight loss of definition and detail). 283kbps is still fairly respectable for lossy, as many can't tell the difference between 256kbps and lossless. AAC and WMA are better CODECs than the old MP3, so that's a plus also. The differences are more easily heard in direct comparisons between a lossless source and a lossy file, and using "pure" music that has few instruments which are recorded cleanly. Something "busy" like rock or popular music has the effect of covering up the artifacts of a lossy CODEC.

I've found it's common for an engineer to roll off the highs if a record has a lot of noise and/or wear ("groove burn") in an attempt to cover it up. Others use digital noise reduction, which has its own negative effect of making the music sound muffled and closed-in. My guess is that one or both of those are what you are likely hearing.

One of the best CDs I've ever heard from a series of needle drop was the 2-CD Rhino set of Spike Jones and his City Slickers. Rather than use RCA's tapes (many of which were "rechanneled" aka "fake stereo"), Rhino went back to either original acetates or the original metal parts to dub them in 78 RPM. There is slight noise, but the sound is as good as it gets and everything is heard cleanly.

1680140531987.png
I would disagree with AAC and WMA being better than MP3 or FLAC or ALAC. All of them are essentially the Type 1 cassette audio of the digital age.

Many listening tests over the years have shown WMA and AAC to be better than MP3 at the same bitrate. (In other words, WMA and AAC sound better at 256kbps than MP3.) Sony's ATRAC is somewhere between those (ATRAC was used for MiniDiscs). The DCC (Digital Compact Cassette) used PASC audio compression, which eventually was integrated into the ISO/IEC standards as MPEG-1 Audio Layer 1 (aka MP1...where MP3 is technically known as MPEG-1 Audio Layer 3). All of these are lossy, and the encoding throws away parts of the sound to achieve the compression. MQA is also a lossy format, but deceptively marketed as "high resolution."

FLAC and ALAC are lossless, so they would preserve the original sound quality. FLAC/ALAC are similar to data compression formats like ZIP, BZ2, 7Z, etc., in that they use data compression to reduce the size of the container. Once unpacked, they are a copy of the original input file (which may have been a WAV or AIFF format previously).

Back
Top Bottom