• "BENEDICTION"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
A couple of weeks ago I posted a thread asking everyone here what their favorite Carpenters ALBUM was.

I thought it would be fun to do an 11 week breakdown, [studio] album by album discussing everybody's favorite SONG on that particular release and why. I know it is difficult as there are often times many songs on an album that move us for whatever reason. The challenge is narrowing it down to an absolute #1. I think it would give each of us a little bit of insight into eachother's individual tastes where the recorded music of Richard and Karen are
concerned. -Chris

P.S.: I wanted to mention that I left out the Christmas albums because I feel that a separate thread should be posted on that subject alone, as those releases I feel are in a category all by themselves.

offeringt.jpg
tickettoridet.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

how can i vote? i tried last week and this and i cannot click on anything to get me to a place to vote. please help. :)

Very spontaneous, I voted for SOMEDAY. This song has such beautiful music, and the lyrics are so melancholic, it never fails to move me. I'm still waiting for Richard to remix this treasure.

By the way: Great idea, Chris!

Bruno
someday, when I am able to love you

I've wondered about "All I Can Do"; was it written by Richard Carpenter (and John Bettis)? I had a Hugo Montenegro album, Mammy Blue that begins with that track, but I never had it at the same time I ever had Offering; don't have either LP, right now.

Wonder whose idea was it for Karen & Richard to do "Get Together" (The Song By THE YOUNGBLOODS!) and why it never achieved the acclaim of, say, "Ticket To Ride". Was THAT ever released on a single, or does We Five have the only version that ever got the "OCRE label treatment"? Well, MANY did that song; even Linda Ronstadt. It was written by one of the members of Quicksilver Messenger Service, which to my knowledge, never made a version of their own. ANDY WILLIAMS' version is MY favorite and I have Ed Ames (of The Ames Brothers) doing it, too.

"Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" ranks more with an obscure A&M group, Tramline doing a remake of "Rock 'N' Roll Woman", than Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66 covering "For What's It's Worth"; could'a gotten left in the can, but I guess The Carpenters do add a unique melody to it. Just that it may have been more developed, had it been saved for Close To You. But by then, it would have sounded badly outdated!

Dave

One of my favorite albums, so the choice is tough. I like 'em all, but I had to cast my vote for "Ticket To Ride." It put Carpenters on the map, and as mentioned in another thread, I think it's way better than even the Beatles version. Exquisite harmonies just jumped out of the radio at me in 1969, and I've not looked back since.

That said, my other two favorites would have to be "Someday" and "Eve" in that order. Great arrangements.

Harry
...finishing up a busy day at work, online...

"Don't Be Afraid" is my favorite by far. I used to have it on a 45. Although we had the album around the house, I played that single quite often.

I voted for "Don't Be Afraid". It has a nice upbeat melody, and positive lyrics. Just a very happy song.

Murray
...love is a groovy thing...

I voted for "EVE". I think Richard and Karen were way ahead of their time on this one. -Chris

I was different and voted for All of My Life. There is just something about the raw talent in this song that I love. Ticket to Ride would be my second choice, and then Someday.

Did "All Of My Life" appear on the Love Songs compilation? I seem to remember hearing it, and that's what I remember hearing it on. Unless it was on the Classics Vol. 2 set. :?:

I can remember far back to having the Ticket To Ride LP, but I'm sure I heard it as recently as when I had the Love Songs collection or 2-CD Classics-series.

Dave

Very tough choice. This is the Carpenters most adventurous album except maybe A SONG FOR YOU and it's a very "even" album. I think I will have to go for "Eve."

Dave said:
Did "All Of My Life" appear on the Love Songs compilation? I seem to remember hearing it, and that's what I remember hearing it on. Unless it was on the Classics Vol. 2 set. :?:

I can remember far back to having the Ticket To Ride LP, but I'm sure I heard it as recently as when I had the Love Songs collection or 2-CD Classics-series.

Dave

Nope, not on either one. It 's on the ESSENTIAL COLLECTION box set, as well as a few other more esoteric compilations like REFLECTIONS from overseas.

Perhaps you remember hearing it in THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY. It's the song used in Joe Osborn's garage where first we hear Cynthia Gibb attempt to sing it in too high a key. Then Joe suggests lowering the key, and out comes the real Karen's gorgeous voice.

Harry
...who loves this one too, online...

This was a easy choice for me. I have always had a fondness for "All of My Life" The lyrics are so great & Karen's reading is perfect, to think she was so young when she recorded this is amazing in it's own right. "I just want someone that I can call my own" Oh man I melt when she sings this track. She gives such a simple delivery & her vocal appears to be in such a relaxing type mood that it shows to the listener. She's not shouting or anything just a simple yet powerful delivery. I'm sure she is playing drums on this one too so that is another bonus. :)

This track is on the Japan Treasures (I purchased recently) that Richard says has always been there favorite & he remixed it just for this collection in Treasures. It also appears on the recent Carpenters Perform Carpenter in remixed form.

...unable to get that image out of my head from the KCS in recording studio with Karen behind drums singing this track...

Hi Everyone,
I chose EVE just because it is a gorgeous song and showcases her vocals. It also provides a nice image to the song. I also loved that they were shown in the recording studio recording this on THE KAREN CARPENTER STORY.

My thoughts,
Cameron

I voted for "All of my life". "Someday" would have been my pick too but I prefer the medley version. Just beautiful delivery!!

i like turn away and your wonderful parade the most. i love all of these songs, but if i had to pick it would be those two with clancy being my third choice. it is one of my favorite albums because it's so different from all the rest.

i was unable to vote on the poll chart so i had to place my votes here.

Voted for All Of My Life this time ....great Karen reading and Richard composition :)

Turn Away , Someday & What's The Use are favourite original songs &
Ticket To Ride / Clancy -favoured cover versions :o

Peter

It's too late to vote for me but if I had the chance I would choose the whole album in it's entirety. I loved it from the first listen and I will until my dying day. "Offering" is both to me, a companion for bad and good days. One of those albums I would take along to the lonely island for sure. :rolleyes:

I agree, kennyv, SOMEDAY would be perfect, if Karen had re-recorded the whole song. Unfortunately, she only re-recorded a few verses for the MUSIC MUSIC MUSIC Medley.

Bruno

I voted for All Of My Love, altough I have to say that's a very hard choice, since I love this album. There's so many good song on it.

I like the innovation and naivety of the Your Wonderful Parade.
Someday is a classic, haunting song...gorgeous. I also wish Karen recorded it by '75, it would sound even better.
I just love Turn Away...I alway turn up the stereo when it plays.
Ticket To Ride, well I always moved when Karen sings...I think I'm gonna be sad...and the end ...and he don't caree...uee...
The upbeat of All I Can Do is amazing
Also is the melancholy of Eve
And Nowadays Clancy is so well done...I love the interaction between them...the harmonys...like Turn Away...
But All Of My Love ranks really high on me...not only among C's songs but in music in general...this song is unique, supreme, just great...when she sings...just want someone...and the end..you will be my own...unspeakbly gorgeous....

I know you "Ticket" lovers are gonna shoot me, but if there is any vocal reading by Karen that I am least impressed with, it's the version of "Ticket To Ride" on this album. I think the '73 re-cut is by far superior to the original and maybe had Karen sounded as good on the '69 take as she did in '73, I would have voted for it.

I think that when you compare all of Karen's vocals on this album, song-for-song, Ticket sounds (to me anyway) like a work lead. You can definitely hear the maturity and polish on her voice in most every other song on the record, but for some reason, this one just doesn't hit me. -Chris (who's putting on his bullet proof vest as we speak...)

Chris, I agree with Ticket song, the 73 version is tops with me, it's like night & day. I can actually get goosebumps when I am listening closely with headphones on with the 73 re-record version. I don't get that with the original version.

I also think maybe it could have been the recording studio that they used for alot of these tracks. Was there really alot of money for me to invest like they did for all the other albums? Did they have all the high end equipment to record on like they would have had later with A & M probably letting them use just about anything they wanted easily...freely given. Ticket album on some tracks almost sounds alot like there garage tunes, Karen sounds rough around the edges still & not polished like later albums, this is not a bad thing, just a different sound.

...helping to shield Chris, online...

My point exactly, Chris. I know in the 30th and 35th Anniversary "Black Box" set liner notes, Richard mentions that a few of the 'tracks' were transferred from 4-track sessions originally cut at Osborn's garage studio over to 8-track at A&M for completion.

I guess considering Richard's latter comments during interviews where he states that they went in and cut and mixed the whole album top to bottom during the summer months of '69 explains the whole "rough around the edges" deal. I think he also states that "Ticket" was the very first track he and Karen worked on at A&M Studios.

All in all, with such diversity, the album in it's entirety remains a gem!!!! -Chris

(who's now cautiously removing his bullet proof vest...:blinkeye: )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom