• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #12: Unreleased/Rarities, Pt. I: 'AS TIME GOES BY'

Favorite song from "As Time Goes By", Part I

• "WITHOUT A SONG" (COMPLETE VERSION)

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • "MEDLEY: SUPERSTAR/RAINY DAYS & MONDAYS"

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • "NOWHERE MAN"

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • "I GOT RHYTHM MEDLEY"

Votes: 1 3.0%
  • "DANCING IN THE STREET"

• "YOU'RE JUST IN LOVE"

• "KAREN/ELLA FITZGERALD MEDLEY"

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This is part one of a 3-part series dedicated to unreleased and/or leftover material from the Carpenters' recorded catalog.

Week #1/Part I features the first half of "As Time Goes By". Week #2/Part II will feature the second half of this incredible album, and the final week will be comprised of material taken from the "From the Top/Essential Collection" and "Interpretations" releases.

As mentioned before, I am going to leave the instrumentals out and give them their own thread (along with all of the other Carpenters instrumental tracks) at a later date.

Please vote for your favorite song from the first half of this album and tell us why you picked
it. -Chris

timegoest.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

For me the choice boiled down to the two medleys, but finally went with the "Superstar/Rainy Days" pairing, but both are exceptional....

:ed:

Unquestionably for me, "Nowhere Man." This is the early and raw sound of Carpenters that I first enjoyed on the OFFERING album. Second choice would probably be the "Karen/Ella Medley".

Harry
NP: radio at work

For me, "Nowhere Man" wins this one hands down! Awesome vocal by Karen...showing her great potential and fantastic sound at such an early age...and an arrangement by Richard that is just superb! I love this track!

Well this was very easy for me. "Nowhere Man".

Love those garage tunes, Love when Karen sing really low, like "the world is at your comm...an....d. Gives me chills. The harmonica works sooo well with this tune.

I remember when I first got this import cd in the mail, it was a nice cool evening & I was on my back porch around my pool & I was all set to play this, had my sony walkman ready, popped in the cd and when I got to this track, Nowhere Man, I literally hit repeat for about 10 time straight. For some reason I just couldn't get enough of Karen dropping her vocals down in certain sections of this track, it was almost hypnotic for me (in a good sense of the word) But I fell in love with this track at first listen. It wasn't until later in the evening that I finally got to the rest of the CD. :D

The obvious choice for me is NOWHERE MAN. I really enjoy those early, less polished tunes.

My second choice would be the Karen/Ella Medley, although it could have been so much better if they had both sung live. I'll never understand why Karen insisted on pre-recording her part, and then miming to it while Ella sang her part live. Very strange indeed...

Murray
...who gets the impression that Dave has never heard this album... :wink:

I, too, voted for "Nowhere Man". Richard totally transformed this Beatles hit and made a beautiful ballad out of it. And boy! no other female singers could have utilized a lower register the way Karen did. It's mesmerizing and yeah! I agree with the term "hypnotic" indeed!

As TOUGH as this one truly is, I would have to say "Super/Rainy".

I will never forget hearing this for the first time at Richard's '97 concert in Long Beach...That deal at the end where Karen holds out the final "down...", in come the strings followed by the final note on the bass and cymbals. Talk about a "chiiiiiillllll factor" all the way.

I think both Karen AND Rich did a remarkable job with this. -Chris

Without A Song, w/o a doubt. This production reflects the refinement CarpenterS had achieved. Smooth, class, elegance, imprint and magic all in one. While Nowhere Man is the roots of the show, W/O A Song is the bounty.
MMM indicated a shift in the duo's artistry. Moving away from mainstream pop K&R exuded sophistication. This is also around the time that Ronstadt had begun her Nelson Riddle sessions. I could smell Grammys. While Made In America was a welcomed effort it didn't have the same dynamics found within MMM.
Standards were a natural step in the groups musical evolution.

Jeff

I went with Nowhere Man as well I just love Karens early vocals and her vocals on Offering are great as well. There is something about Karens early voice that affects me differently than her later voice dispite Karens voice being superb throughout her career. :love: :love: :D

Well I must say that I was really positively surprised by As Time Goes By!!! It has some beautiful gems. Surely the abuse of medleys take some shine of the album, but overal it's very good :) !!!

Without - A vocal masterpiece by them, but I really miss Karen's low notes in this one, that would make this a classic...

Superstar - This is a great medley and her reading of Superstar is gorgeous and incredible believing, the same can't be said about Rainy, once you know the original one, it sounds the Karen is singing off key (too high) ...odd

I Got - It's nice, but the problem is we've got TOO MANY instrumental medleys on this album...

Dancing - It's nice, it has a nice beat...but too short. And by the way, I'd rather listen K's early version of it, that she sung on a early TV show...it was rockier, and it would be amazing be able to listen to it.

Dizzy - And there it comes, another instrumental medley...Geez Rich, we know you're talented and these things are better to watch than to listen to.

You're Just - Beautiful, warm song!!! Karen singing low, Rich is very good on his vocals too...together they are amazing!!! Congratulations!!!

Karen/Ella - A classic, it can be less than that...two of the best female vocalist who ever lived...and together they rock...outstanding, I only wish Karen would use her cheast voice here...sometimes she sounds thin compare to Ella, still a great job!!! Does anyone know if K's part of This Masquerade was re-recorded or it was the same lead used on Now & Then album???

My favorite has to be the gorgeous, marvelous Nowhere Man...it's a extremely beautiful song, made so by K's amazing reading and R's perfect arrengement...as you said pal, when you make a cover, make it your own...I can never listen to this song anymore without thinking of C's version!!! Great :love: :thumbsup: :D !!!

Had to go with Without a song, purely for the couple of secs which gives us "would never see a plough". The sound makes me feel REALLY SATISFIED, simple as that, though do love love my second choice of Nowhere Man.

Neil

I Got Rhythm

I think Karen is having a lot of fun with this track and it has a happy feel to it throughout...........I could be slightly bias though as every time I hear it, I think about the grin on her face when performing on Music Music Music and her drumming sequence.:cool:

Just a quickie as finishing up at work ....will add more comments next time around ... :wink:

Love ATGB album -a great selection of studio rarities .....Richard really picked some great TV tracks plus the surprise Magic Lamp tracks :D

Love Carpenters version of Motown classic "Dancing In The Street"-perfect cover ....adding to the original ....would be great for Richard to include 1968 Trio recording on future Carpenters rarities set or Box set as comparison ...:cool:

Hopefully will be at CPAC this weekend for Richard / Newhart concert & CPAC Birthday Anniversary / Celebrations ....just so hectic at present .... :wink:

Peter

Does anyone know what sales ATGB has generated? Would dismal sales figures stave edition II or has it performed accordingly? Now is it the ultimate rate of current sales that encourage a future endeavor? Or do CarpenterS merit release upon Richard's discretion?

Hmm,

Jeff

I just heard this for the first time. WOWOWOWOWOWOW!! This is simply amazing!! I am dying over here. It's got a bit too much reverb in it but WOW!!!!

WOW!!!

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom