• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

Week #21: Solo Album, Richard Carpenter: "PACC"

Favorite song from "PACC":

• "PRELUDE"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE"

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • "MEDLEY" (*SEE POST)

• "I NEED TO BE IN LOVE"

• "SANDY"

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • "TIME"

• "FOR ALL WE KNOW"

• "ONE LOVE"

• "BLESS THE BEASTS AND THE CHILDREN"

• "FLAT BAROQUE"

• "ALL THOSE YEARS AGO"

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • "TOP OF THE WORLD"

• "WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN"

• "KAREN'S THEME"

Votes: 11 57.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This week's "album of the week" is Richard Carpenter's most recent release from 1997 entitled: "Pianist, Arranger, Composer, Conductor".

Please vote for your favorite song from this album and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

*MEDLEY:
a) "Sing"
b) "Goodbye To Love"
c) "Eve"
d) "Rainy Days and Mondays"
e) "Look To Your Dreams"
f) "Superstar"
g) "Someday"
richardcarpentert.jpg
All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

I usually am not the first one to post on these threads, but KUDOS to Richard Carpenter for "Karen's Theme".

When a songwriter/composer writes a piece of music, he generally is looking somewhere within to find the best way to express whatever it is that he/she is trying to convey. This has got to be one of the most personal glimpses into a person's soul musically. I'm not trying to be cheesy here, but this is one of the most difficult pieces of music for me to listen to because of the emotion that it evokes. This one is written and executed so very well. Thanks, Rich. -Chris

"Karen's Theme" gets my vote. Loved it in the t.v. movie, and love the complete song as well. It's haunting melody expresses happiness and sadness and Richard just arranged and performs this song to perfection. A beautiful, awesome and thought provoking tribute to Karen.

I picked "All Those Years Ago". It's a favorite of mine from the VERONIQUE album and it would've been a great Karen vocal had she lived.

Harry

To be honest, the only one I can remember from memory is Karen's Theme, just don't pick this CD up much, maybe played it like 2 times.

Will have to give this a spin this week & get back to everyone before voting.

:)

I voted for KAREN'S THEME. It was the highlight of Richard's score for the TV movie, and I was thrilled to find the complete song on the PACC CD. It has such a hauntingly beautiful melody, and Richard's performance is flawless.

My second favorite is ALL THOSE YEARS AGO, although I prefer the recording of it on the VERONIQUE album.

Murray
...who hasn't played PACC in ages...

I also picked Karens Theme Its a touching tribute to his fallen sister and when used in the Karen Carpenter Story movie in 1989 I brought a tear to my eye much like the movie did. A nice touching song as only Richard could do it. :)

I have chosen ALL THOSE YEARS AGO / KAREN'S THEME. I've heard both played over a grocery store music thing-a mabob and each stopped me dead in my tracks. I know we're not necessarily reviewing PACC but again I find the OK CHORALE or whoever it is to be a nuisance. This album such as it is screams, shouts and demands an elevator. This venture could've been alot more than the actual offering. Mine is a promo CD and I think I've listened to it twice. Somehow disturbing to hear Karen's arrangements put to Lawrence Welk.

Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Jeff

djn said:
I have chosen ALL THOSE YEARS AGO / KAREN'S THEME. I've heard both played over a grocery store music thing-a mabob and each stopped me dead in my tracks. . . This album such as it is screams, shouts and demands an elevator. . .Somehow disturbing to hear Karen's arrangements put to Lawrence Welk.

Oh well, whatcha gonna do?

Jeff

Jeff ... Wow...these are my exact sentimants regarding this album. Thanks for putting it into words!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom