• “THE CHRISTMAS WALTZ”

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • “SLEIGH RIDE”

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • “IT’S CHRISTMAS TIME”/”SLEEP WELL LITTLE CHILDREN”

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • “HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS”

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • “SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN” (SHORT VERSION)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • “THE CHRISTMAS SONG” (CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON AN OPEN FIRE)

Votes: 6 21.4%
  • “SILENT NIGHT”

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Over the next (4) weeks, I will be posting both Christmas albums, one "side" at a time to allow us all more than one vote per album, as these recordings are timeless.

This week's "album-of-the-week" is: "Christmas Portrait", Side 1. Please vote for your favorite song from the first side of this classic album and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

*OVERTURE:
a) "Deck the Halls"
b) “I Saw Three Ships”
c) “Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas”
d) “God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen”
e) “Away In a Manger”
f) “What Child Is This?” (Greensleeves)
g) “Carol of the Bells”
h) “O Come, All Ye Faithful”
christmasportrait.jpg
All images provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS

This is one of my favourite Christmas songs, and Karen sings it beautifully. I especially appreciate that she sang the rarely heard introduction ("Christmas present is far away...."). This makes it all the more memorable.

Karen's is the only interpretation that rivals the Judy Garland original...

Murray :bigsanta:

These are gonna be tough weeks for polls! :)
Of all the Carpenters' albums, Christmas Portrait has no filler or 2nd rate material.
That said, I have always loved Christmas Waltz. Never heard it before the Carpenters did it- and no one does it quite as well!

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas, hands down. I love this song and you're right Chris, the only version that rivals Judy's that I've heard so far.

I love the part where Karen sings the highest bow. sp?

It's hard to pick just one, but it has to be "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas". It's just amazing.

Really hard choice, so many great ones.

I have to go with "The Christmas Waltz" Karen's first vocal & when I hear it she starts the Christmas season for me, that line..."Frosted Window Panes" always gets me where Karen can only do.

My 2nd would be "It's Christmas Time/Sleep Well, just love Richard's classical sounding piano on this one with Karen is excellent.

3rd is Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, the intro is something I have always loved & sets it apart from others. Her voice is magic on this one.

OH MAN!!! Can I pick EVERY song???

The hardest part about having to pick a song from this album is the fact that I can listen to it from a totally technical standpoint musically, OR from a seasonal/spiritual standpoint, picking the one that moves me most during the season.

That said, I'm gonna have to go with "Sleigh Ride", followed by "It's Christmas Time"/"Sleep Well...", then "Silent Night". I've picked "Sleigh Ride" because of the arrangement, the contrast with the vocals, Karen w/ Richard, Bob Messenger and Doug Strawn (at the bridge) and choir, followed by the "seasonal" vibe it gives me.

This truly is an album of timeless classics. -Chris

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I have to go with "The Christmas Waltz" Karen's first vocal & when I hear it she starts the Christmas season for me, that line...

That nails it for me too... :)

Yeah, I myself would also go with every song on here if I could; is there any better Christmas album??? :D
This one was a reeeeeal toughie for me. "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts ...)" is my favorite well-established Christmas standard of all-time, and Karen's rendition is my next favorite thing to Nat King Cole's version. But I have to go with "The Christmas Waltz," if only because it's the most astounding track; Karen sings it at her melt-your-heart best, it's a gorgeous song to begin with, plus .. how many other people do this song? "TCW" is one of the few Christmas songs that I haven't heard five thousand different versions of by now (and hear too little on Christmas radio of the renditions that do exist!) Kudos to R&K for taking a real chance with that one!

Jeff F.

"Christmas Waltz" gets my vote. Hearing Karen's crystal clear vocal come in after the opening by Richard and instrumental overture just melts me every time. Lots of outstanding Christmas songs from our duo! Love them all!!!!!

I love every song on this entire album so picking one is very, very hard.

I chose "It's Christmas Time" only because, for me, it's the most fun to sing along with. Vocally, it is quite a challenging song!

I chose HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS. This is one amazing song sung by an amazing singer! I have never heard of Judy Garland's version, and after hearing Karen's version, I don't think I am missing much by listening to Judy. Karen sings the heck out of this song!

My thoughts,
Cameron

I have to say "The Christmas Waltz". Karen's lovely voice, the lush sounding orchestration. Everything what a holiday song should sound like.

Danny

The singular stand-out track for me on side 1 is Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas. The arrangement as well as the way Karen wraps her vocals around these lyrics is mood altering.

Jeff

Tough one but had to pick one so I went with Sleigh Ride I like this holiday classic and Karen does it justice. A standout track!

I dislike, to the point of hating, Christmas music. It's all too goopy and trite and sung too many times by anyone who can record. I refuse to vote. The only Carpenters Christmas song worth admiration is "Merry Christmas, Darling." And that's because it's an original and a wonderful holiday song. It ought to be the kind of standard that everyone who is anyone records like "The Christmas Song" or "White Christmas."

hierogryph said:
I dislike, to the point of hating, Christmas music.

Typical Scrooge response...I'm like that until just before the holiday, and for some inexplicable reason, my mood finally improves, before the inevitable post-holiday letdown....which is probably due more from exhaustion than anything else.

It's all too goopy and trite and sung too many times by anyone who can record.

Of course...that's why holiday music is timeless, it allows for almost anyone of even the most marginal competence to almost get it right!

I refuse to vote.

I've a hunch that's not a major concern of the membership....:wink:

The only Carpenters Christmas song worth admiration is "Merry Christmas, Darling." And that's because it's an original and a wonderful holiday song. It ought to be the kind of standard that everyone who is anyone records like "The Christmas Song" or "White Christmas."

While "Merry Xmas Darling" is one of the better holiday 45's of its time, any reasonable person would never compare it to either of the songs you cite. It's a modest and wonderful performance, song and recording; it's timeless in its fashion, but then, so is the more dynamic "Feliz Navidad" by Jose Feliciano, which was a holiday hit the same year(1970).

:ed:

Very difficult poll choices ....love Christmas Waltz , Sleep Well Little Children, Christmas Song .....:cool:

Had full length version of Santa Claus (Ballad) been included back in 1978 ....that would have a strong contender ....Richard needs to include original 1974 45 mix on a future project ....perhaps an extra bonus with his own Christmas solo album .... :o

Eventually selected an all time Karen classic vocal & interpretation :

Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas :D ......timeless song .....almost too sad & moving to be a festive favourite ....Karen captures this perfectly ....only version to consider alongside Judy Garland original ....:cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom