• "I HEARD THE BELLS ON CHRISTMAS DAY"

Votes: 2 8.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
This week's "album-of-the-week" is: "An Old Fashioned Christmas", Side 2. Please vote for your favorite song from the second side of this album and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

oldfashionedxmas.jpg
All images provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

Chris, this was a real hard one. I had to pick Santa Claus Is Coming To Town. Second choice would be Do You Hear WHat I hear? Well, do you?

I couldn't agree with you more Andrew....

This side is loaded with all of the best tunes. My pick is "Do You Hear What I Hear?". I just love the way Rich sets it up, and then Karen makes her entry. It makes for a real "chill factor". -Chris

My choice is "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town". What an amazing, and unusual arrangement - taking what is essentially a children's song, and turning it into a lush, jazzy (dare I even say, romantic-sounding) ballad! :cool:

My second choice is "I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day". The last line is a major "chill-factor" moment.

Murray

I really love "Santa Claus is coming..." I agree with Murray and very unusual arrangement for this wonderful song, made it a classic. "Do you hear what I hear" is another of my favorites, this song is simply amazing and Karen vocals add this special spice that make it unique.
"I heard the bells on Christmas day" is a masterpiece too. "Selections from the Nutcracker" demonstrates Richard's talents so well.

But my vote went to "What are you doing New Year's Eve?" I LOVE Karen's vocals in this kind of songs!!!

Regards

Jorge

Gotta Be Santa Claus for me. When this tune hit the airwaves I was caught off guard and frozen at first verse. Karen sounds sultry and smoky. The adult spin on this puts it in a new light. Then like many of you Do You Hear is my 2nd. I love the RC intro and the moment KC breaks in with that lower register literally booming with rich fullness was one of OLD FASHIONED'S greatest treats.

Jeff

This was easy...SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN for me. Love it!!! Original Single Version all the way!!!!

2nd is Do You Hear What I Hear.

Today on my way to work I was listening to the Time Life Christmas Set and have you noticed how Karen sings forrreeevvveeerrrr before taking a BREATH on I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. For some reason I was just blown away in my car listening to this, so holds her notes soooo long...when you think she might run out of breath she adds a little extra punch on the end right before her next breath. Simply amazing chest control she had. Wow. ~~(Listen to this with headphones and you'll be so amazed) ~~

Side 2 is more difficult ....there are several great Karen lead vocals ....plus Richard's excellent My Favourite Things instrumental .... :wink:

While I love Carpenters original single release for Santa Claus ....you never know ...Richard could include this as a bonus track on his forthcoming Solo Christmas album .... :shock: ....album version is less successful with re-recorded parts .... :)

Finally choose He Came Here For Me ....superb Billy May arrangement ...a moving , beautiful song ....akin in parts to Little Altar Boy from side 1 ....definite Carpenters Christmas classic ....:cool:

Peter

WOW! This part is probably the hardest to choose for me. I mean just about every song hits it right on. Anyway, these are the 3 that stands out for me:

"Do You Hear What I Hear?" - Really love Richard's intro to this song.

"He Came Here For Me" - What can I say? A timeless classic!

"I Heard The Bells On Christmas Day" - I have to choose this one because, it's the one that actually moved me to tears when I first heard it on my LP (which I still have). I was still grieving over Karen's death and this song made me realized that this world really lost such a beautiful spirit.

And even now, over 20 years after the first release of this album, I can still feel it, and I also say that this song was a fitting close to this wonderful album.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom