• "SOMETIMES"

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
It is now week #3 of our Carpenters song poll. This week's featured album topic: 'CARPENTERS' self titled (a.k.a. "Tan Album").

Please narrow your selection down to your #1 most favorite song from this album and tell us why you picked it.

NOTE: The "Bacharach/David" medley can count as one complete tune, OR, if you like only one song from the medley and it happens to be your favorite song on the album, select the medley and describe your feelings about that particular song.

"BACHARACH/DAVID MEDLEY":
a. "Knowing When To Leave"
b. "Make it Easy On Yourself"
c. "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me"
d. "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"
e. "Walk On By"
f. "Do You Know The Way To San Jose"

Happy Voting!!!! -Chris

carpenterst.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

Right off the bat, I picked "Superstar". This has got to be one of the finest Carpenters recordings around, particularly in the straight "pop" category. -Chris

My favorite selection must be Rainy Days and Mondays. I clearly remember the first time I heard it. I recall Karen's voice filled with such emotion. I was thoroughly engrossed. When the big finish came where Karen is singing GET!!!!...me dowoooooo'n intoxicated my 8 y/o ears. From the period my aunt had broken 45 of RD's and for some odd reason I kept it. Strangely enough it is harbored amongst the rest of my memorabilia. Here in the Pacific NW there are plenty of Monday's...

Jeff

Tough choice, but I voted for ONE LOVE. The lyrics "Few are the choices we are given, the sands of time pass quickly by" are one of the best John Bettis has ever written. But the arrangement is great, too. By the way: I was hooked on those lyrics long before they appeared on the inner sleeve of the VOICE OF THE HEART album.

Second would be RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS, which in my opinion is one of the best singles, Carpenters ever released.

Third is FOR ALL WE KNOW.

Bruno
off to Dresden for a few days vacation:cool:

This is actually an uneven album. There are the great songs, the singles; there are album tracks that are every bit as good as the hits; then there is some very obvious filler ("Drucilla Penny," "Saturday.")

Again, difficult to pick one favorite but I had to go with "Superstar" because for me it is one of those essential Carpenters records but with a bit of a dangerous edge to it.

Touch call, 'cause there's so many songs on this album I like ("Rainy Days ..." and "Saturday" would be really close runners-up), but I had to go with the "Bacharach/David Medley". All the songs in the medley are great classics to begin with, the medley's really tight and well-constructed, and Richard's arrangements and the harmonies are just fantastic; it's hard for me to hear other artists' versions of these songs without thinking about how well R&K did 'em!

Jeff F.

This is a tough one... CARPENTERS has several songs that are simply outstanding.

If the Bacharach/David medley weren't so abbreviated and sped-up, it would easily have been my favorite. The live version of the medley, as heard on the Japanese ANTHOLOGY or the Reader's Digest CDs, is vastly superior to the album version. But without the long versions of "Knowing When to Leave" and "Make It Easy On Yourself," it just doesn't have the same impact.

That leaves three songs that I feel are among the best work Karen and Richard ever did -- "Rainy Days," "Let Me Be the One" and "Superstar." Deciding which is my favorite from those three is very difficult. My gut says to go with "Superstar," because it feels like the most authentic performance. So that's my vote today. If you asked me again in a week, I might say something different.

David

Coincidentally, my favorite songs from this LP were also hit singles: "Rainy Days And Mondays" and "Superstar."

As for "Let Me Be The One" . . . the version the Lite radio station in New York played for many years was Anne Murray's (her version was a semitone higher than the Carpenters' -- E as opposed to E-flat), also from 1971, which I'm more familiar with -- but the Carpenters' rendition also has something to recommend it.

"For All We Know" is easily my favorite! It was on the B-Side of the "We've Only Just Begun" '45', I bought and I played it just as often.

The same zing as "We've Only..." had, but much slower. And remember constantly hearing it in the stores, the car radios, at the neighbors' house who played ONLY Carpenters--and at home, too!

Second favorite is "Rainy Days & Mondays", which seems to be almost set to a "Jazz beat"; at least that's what the saxophone solo (which I didn't like hearing, at first) suggests.

Of all the songs in the Bacharach/David medley, my least favorite there is "I'll Never Fall In Love Again"--should have put that one in the "Least Favorite Carpenters Songs" thread. The "...here to remind you, here to remind you, here to remind you..." at the beginning is as annoying as the "...wuh, wuh, wuh, wuh-wuh, wuh..." solo in the middle towards the end of the song. But my favorite there is "Do You Know The way To San Jose"--it's alsmost as lively and "...bah, bah, bah, bah..." as Dee Dee Warwicke's version.

"A Place To Hideaway", "Sometimes" and "One Love" seem to almost sound the same, and are all kind of "forgettable", but I really haven't heard this album in a while. Had a still-sealed tan & silver labeled copy of it, one time.

Dave :D

I voted for "Let Me Be The One", and "One Love" would have been my second choice. It's not that I don't like the three singles from the album, but since they are on nearly every compilation, I've just grown a little tired of them.

Dave said:
"Had a still-sealed tan & silver labeled copy of it, one time.

Dave

If the album was "still-sealed", how did you know it had a tan/silver label?

Murray
...wondering if Dave is related to Superman... :wink:

It's close, but I pick "Hideaway". The lyric "The night and the music remind me instead the world once was mine" are very powerful in light of Karen's untimely death.

Dave said:
"Had a still-sealed tan & silver labeled copy of it, one time."

Dave

Murray said:
If the album was "still-sealed", how did you know it had a tan/silver label?

Sorry, I meant to say I bought a "Still-Sealed" copy. That is, I had a copy that WAS "still-sealed" before I opened it and played it. Hope this clears things up... :laugh:

Murray said:
Murray
...wondering if Dave is related to Superman... :wink:

Uh, wellll...Now if WAS or at least, "had his power..." :twitchy: :goofygrin:

"Super Dave":cool:

Oh, but, speaking of "Super"... "Superstar" is another favorite of mine! It is actually a song by Delaney & Bonnie Bramblett, written with Leon Russell. :love:

Hard to believe it turned into such a "pop song"! I have versions by others; well known artists, like Vikki Carr and obscure ones, like Gayle McCormick (an obscure ABC Records recording artist). Even Jazz-instrumental versions by Gap Mangione (Chuck's brother, who recorded for Mercury, like he did) and David Spinozza (on his solo LP, *SPINOZZA). :winkgrin:

Dave :badteeth:

Hi All,
I would choose ONE LOVE. I have always loved that song. As much as I do like Superstar, Rainy Days and Mondays, ONE LOVE is just a gentle song of reflection. Of most Carpenters songs, the gentle ones are usually my most favorite(Crescent Noon, Maybe It's You, Someday, Eve, A Place To Hideaway, One More Time, You etc)

My thoughts,
Cameron

I, too, picked "One Love." Another personal favorite. The arrangement, Karen's emotion, and just the overall "feel" of the song has always been a favorite. And, as someone else said, the line "Few are the choices we are given; the sands of time pass quickly by" is a fantastic line. It's one reason the album is one of my top three favorites of all.

One last thought: It would be really cool if, after all the votes from all the albums are compiled, Rich would put out yet another compilation CD with the top-ranked track from each. It would truely be a "Fan's" CD. After all, I don't know of any other forum, where TRUE fans gather and seriously critique the legacy of the Carpenters sound.

Superstar WAS my favorite but that "baby baby baby baby oh baby" hook just seemed a bit too much for me after a while.

My most favorite on this album is "RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS". It's beautifully arranged and Karen's rendition was not only superb but she also showed her sense of vulnerability. Wish I could just hold her right then when she sang "Nice to know somebody loves me".

My 2nd most favorite is "ONE LOVE" for its lyrics.
KennyV

Touch choice! Not all are favorites, but "Superstar" just edges out "Let Me Be The One" by a hair. An honorable mention to "Sometimes", mainly due to the lyrics and music. (Henry Mancini is one of my favorite composers, and his signature sound is all over this one...amazing how this tune actually came about!) Also, the medley and "For All We Know" get honorable mentions as well. The rest of the tracks I usually skip.

Going along with Rudy on his choice here - "Superstar".

I remember getting this album when it came out. "For All We Know" had been a hit radio single and "Rainy Days And Mondays" was a knockout followup to that one, getting airplay and moving up the charts as the album was released.

But the song on the album that blew me away was "Superstar", the lead track on side two of the LP. I was all over that record long before it was released as a single, and it's been a favorite ever since. It's noce to hear the old original mix showing up on some compilations these days, too.

In addition to the hits, my favorite album track on this album is "Let Me Be The One". Mr. Nichols seems to be hard-pressed to write a song that I DON'T like.

Harry
...still catching up, online...

Oh my...that's a great album. Just fantastic, so good that we even let songs like Saturday and Druscilla go, without saying a thing...

It's really hard to choose a song from the Tan album, 'cause so many songs from it, were in different periods of my life, very important to me...

Rainy Days - Who has never felt related to it? Sometimes I'd like to quite, nothing ever seems to fit...nothing is really wrong, feeling like I don't belong...and Karen shys... a classic
A Place - That was a song that growed with me later, but love it just the same, I save my pennies for a rainy day, but where can I buy another of you? Man that part is one of my favorite lyrics ever... give me chills...
For All - Loved it first time I've heard...just another classic...you can't not like it...
Superstar - The classic of the classic, maybe their strongest song ever...amazing, I lack of words to describe it... Karen's reading...God, how can you not believe when she sings...I love you, I really do?
One Love - What a sound, what a sound...so melodic...the arrengements, Karen...could be a single for sure...
The Medley - God I was blown when I first heard it...they rock... I used to put it very loud...to people hear what talent can do...flawless, except for being so short...
Sometimes - In the begining, I didn't care for it, most because of the long intro...the when I stoped and listened to the lyrics...I fell in love

It's very hard to choose but I couldn't help to pick up Let Me Be The One...the sound, the lyrics...when thing go wrong and there's no love to light the way..., some sleepless night if you should find yourself alone....Gez and about the bridge??? What does Karen do there...fantastic!!! From a classic album, it the song that I still listen to the most...it has the rock edge...and it's gorgeous

This album has so strong lyrics...never realized before...they were so great, and by writting over here, I get so proud of them

i love rainy days and mondays the best - it's got so much foreshadowing. musically, i love the bass line very much and the background vocals are superb. you could sing nothing but background vocals in this song and have a blast (i'm sure most of us have!). it's also a favorite because i love the video of it from the a&m soundstage. karen looks beautiful and she's playing the drums - what more could you ask for?

Again another tough album for selections ....leaving aside 3 classic singles and promo single Let Me Be The One....opted for :

One Love :)

Stunning Carpenter-Bettis song with beautiful melody , moving lyrics and Karen's sublime vocal ....this really deserved to be Carpenter / Bettis single in it's own right :cool:

Other fave include Sometimes, Hideaway , B&D medley and surprisingly Saturday ....with all the Carpenters sound hallmarks :o

Peter

When we reach the final album ....Chris or Harry could total the top 20 ?tracks with the greatest votes and provide our AMcorner members choices for our own CD request album :cool:

Perhaps we will need 40 track 2 CD set to include all our favourites -aka USA 2004 Gold release ..... :wink:

Peter

Looks like the biggest hit single of each LP is going to be the most popular. Proof that Richard Carpenter was very good at picking singles.

Based on past experience, I predict the winnder for A SONG FOR YOU will be "Hurting Each Other." (Although, with 5 hits off that album, it might be a closer race.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom