• "CRESCENT NOON"

Votes: 5 16.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
I decided to save the best for last with the songwriters series, as putting this particular thread together turned out to be quite an undertaking!

This week's poll topic is dedicated to the infamous songwriting team "Carpenter/Bettis". This is the first of three weeks, as there was quite a large handful of material to include here! As I mentioned a while back, songs are included that may not have been written by both writers per se, but may have been written by one in collaboration with someone else.

Please vote for your favorite song and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

I vote for All Of My Life - the sweetest song they recorded in their early career, and one which many non Carpenters fans love when I play it.

Stephen

First, why is I Need to To be In Love not of the list? I would have voted for that since both wrote that track.

But from this...I voted for All of My Life. Love this track, everytime I hear it I can't help but think of the K.C.S. from TV sitting at the drums playing it for the first time for Magic Lamp Records.

The haunting and gorgeous "Someday", without a doubt.

Harry

My vote just went for Crescent Noon. I have always loved this song. Hot on its heels would be Maybe It's You.

Marilyn

I've liked "Don't Be Afraid" since I had it on a 45 many years ago. :thumbsup:

I struggled between Eve, Someday, and Crescent Noon. Since I couldn't decide based solely on listening pleasure, I shifted my thinking to technical merit and chose All I Can Do for the excellent jazz chords and odd meters.

Mark

Wasn't all that easy, since Crescent noon, Someday, All of my life and Invocation are favorites of mine as well. I also like the "Stand in line - try to climb - meet your wife at cocktail time" part in Your Wonderful Parade, but I chose for the most jazzy of them all (chords and because of the odd 5/4 time), All I can do, which I think is such a cool song to sing along with! :thumbsup:

Greg

I am FINALLY getting around to voting as this week has been pretty hectic. My vote goes to "EVE".

"Maybe It's You"/"Someday"/"All Of My Life" are my (3) other faves from this time period. "Turn Away" is also a favorite, mainly for the vocals and changes. It's a fun one to sing along with...IT'S JUST SO HARD TO PICK JUST ONE!!!!

I picked "EVE" because the tune has some real haunting overtones and I think it's lyric is best supported by the melody and chord changes. -Chris

"Eve" wins this one easily. "All Of My Life" is just too stereotypical. The lyric in "Eve" is far more imaginative than that of "All Of My Life", IMHO.

Ed

Wow such a great collection of songs I love them all! But to pick one I went with Crescent Noon Just need to hear one note and I am chilled on this one. Awsome haunting vocal by Karen! :thumbsup: :D

This time around ...despite favs with Crescent Noon , Someday , All ...decided to go with Turn Away .... :o

This track highlights both Richard & Karen vocals , has great time signature changes & stunning instrumental & harmony vocals ....great early track from Carpenters :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom