• "TREASURES" (U.K.)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • "STARTRAX" (AUSTRALIA)

• "CARPENTERS COLLECTION" (TIME-LIFE)

• "INTERPRETATIONS" (U.S./U.K.)

• "REFLECTIONS"/"SWEET SWEET SMILE" (GERMANY/AUSTRALIA)

• "TWENTY-TWO HITS OF THE CARPENTERS" (HONG KONG)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • "LOVE SONGS"

• "YESTERDAY ONCE MORE" (REMASTERED CLASSICS)

• "BY REQUEST" (JAPAN)

• "THE SINGLES, 1969-1981"

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • "20th CENTURY MASTERS: MILLENIUM COLLECTION"

• "CARPENTERS PERFORM CARPENTER"

• "GOLD-35TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION"

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • "SINGLES, 1969-1981 [SACD]"

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
Let's say somebody walked up to you on the street and asked you what the most definitive, yet economical compilation album covering the Carpenters music would be.

This week's poll topic was one that was suggested by our very own Carpenters forum co-moderator, Harry Neyhart. The idea of this poll is to pick the one album that you feel BEST represents the body of work recorded by Carpenters. The box sets are not included here, as the idea is to keep it not only economical, but also a little more of a challenge. There may be a song or two on a smaller compilation that you feel better represents the Carpenters work. There is no real correct answer here, as this should be very interesting! :) -Chris

yesterdayust.jpg
treasuresjapant.jpg
reminiscingt.jpg
onlyyesterdayt.jpg
treasuresukt.jpg
startraxt.jpg
collectiont.jpg
interpretationst.jpg
reflectionst.jpg
22hitst.jpg
lovesongst.jpg
yesterday1998t.jpg
byrequestt.jpg
6981aust.jpg
20thcenturyt.jpg
performt.jpg
goldust.jpg
singles6981t.jpg

All thumbnails provided by David Grant: http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

For me, it would automatically have to be Yesterday Once More, which I had as the Double-Disc CD, A&M Classics Volume 2...

Name any Carpenters song you know and wanna hear, and IT'S THERE!!

Thorough, Economical and full of "some" liner notes, though I know...
...The original issue does a wee bit better, especially with PHOTOS!

Dave

Chris, Chris, Chris...

How could you leave out SINGLES 1969-1973, and the companion Canadian/UK SINGLES 1974-1978?

It's true that these couldn't be considered representative of the entire Carpenters canon since they were both issued while the duo was still recording. Still, I feel that SINGLES 1969-1973 might just be one of the best compilations to recommend to a novice.

Harry

Oh, I do too! Except I thought it made more sense only to include the compilations that were constructed AFTER Karen's passing, as many of those have the same songs as found on both of the original SINGLES compilations, PLUS many more, even some previously unreleased tracks. -Chris

Good point Harry about the Singles 1969-1973. Hmm, this is really a toughie. I think that I am going to have to pick the 2000 release of the Singles 1969-1981. It's just loaded with hits and some great songs.

Chris May said:
I thought it made more sense only to include the compilations that were constructed AFTER Karen's passing,

Then I yield to your list - and my choice is the new GOLD 35th Anniversary set.

It's got the best of the hits stuff, a smattering of favored album tracks, and a few of the 'unreleased' songs from AS TIME GOES BY - the best of all possible worlds. It's also mastered to modern specifications with mostly the best of Richard's remixing.

For people looking for the most original-sounding tracks, I'd give the nod to the original YESTERDAY ONCE MORE. True, there are some remixes, but a good portion of it is original mixes.

Harry
...picking GOLD from this group, online...

Good selection Harry. The reason I chose Singles 69-81 instead of GOLD is because it has a lot of album cuts instead of just hits. You and I appreciate every Carpenter's song under God's green earth, but the average fan doensn't. Is that making any sense?

Harry said:
How could you leave out SINGLES 1969-1973, and the companion Canadian/UK SINGLES 1974-1978?

Incidentally, the other reason I didn't include the earlier "SINGLES" compilations, is because you have to pick ONE. I don't think either one by itself truly represented the Carpenters in their entirety. I mention this only because I don't want you guys to this was an accidental boo-boo. I felt this was an accurate choice in selections. (CALL ME CRAZY!!!) :wink: -Chris

Dude, we all have to be crazy to like the Carpenters. Look at me, I'm 15-almost 16. You think I'm sane!?

raz42289 said:
Dude, we all have to be crazy to like the Carpenters.

WRONG!! Anyone would have to be crazy NOT to like the Carpenters!!!

We're the sane ones Andrew. Everyone else is stark raving mad! :laugh:

Incidently, I voted for the original YESTERDAY ONCE MORE...

My vote goes to "GOLD" -- what an incredibly appealing release to share with a new, up and coming Carpenters fan... the packaging, track list, mastering, etc. are all top-notch and make for one amazing collection! I didn't vote for "SINGLES 69-81" because to me it seems a little thrown together... there's not a real flow to it -- unlike the original "SINGLES 69-73".

By the way, kudos to Chris May for the incredible job here at the forum. You have really brought new life to the group and your work is greatly appreciated. I just wish I could be a part of it more frequently.

Randy

Chris May said:
Harry said:

Incidentally, the other reason I didn't include the earlier "SINGLES" compilations, is because you have to pick ONE. I don't think either one by itself truly represented the Carpenters in their entirety. I mention this only because I don't want you guys to this was an accidental boo-boo. I felt this was an accurate choice in selections. (CALL ME CRAZY!!!) :wink: -Chris

Chris, I support your decision all the way. I guess a disclaimer in the top post would have cleared up why the early comps were not included. Sorry for causing commotion in what should be a straghtforward choice.

But it's nice to see GOLD: 35th doing decently so far.

Harry
...who should have consulted with Chris before diverting the thread, online...

The SACD gets my vote. This is solely because I've experienced my most blessed moments on record in a fresh and exciting, exhilarating way. If in fact this format explodes it's my earnest wish that RC will light the fire w/ the incredibly successful CarpenterS catalog.

Yes indeedee,

Jeff

Harry said:
Chris, I support your decision all the way. I guess a disclaimer in the top post would have cleared up why the early comps were not included. Sorry for causing commotion in what should be a straghtforward choice.

No worries, my friend! You know, I really should have put a disclaimer in there, as I did consider including these, only to change my mind later. I have to hand it to you though for coming up with such a good thread topic. I only hope that this particular poll will be informative to some of the newer Carpenters fans out there, or possibly older fans who are coming around to re-visit their music!

-Chris (...who still thinks Harry is a good guy, contrary to popular belief, online...) :laugh:

I had to go with the SACD. Despite the remixes, many others who aren't specifically Carpenters fans have been enjoying this one quite a bit. And the surround mixes on the SACD layer are a whole new listening dimension for these songs. I don't yet own it, but I have heard good things about it from others, especially the quality of the sound. Seems to be an incredible value!

Given my druthers though, I have to nudge Chris a bit and say that I still prefer the Singles 1969-1973 compilation, since that's the era I listen to the most. :wink: For some who remember the albums, though, it's one of the few that is the least "remixed" of the bunch.

I picked and voted for "Gold-35th Anniversary" for the most economical and wide range of hits and rare tracks...this would be the one I'd reccomend to people who asked. HOWEVER, for me, I love love love the SACD singles 1969-1981 and it's my favorite compilation, but the average listener would not appreciate it as much as I believe they would "Gold".

I would choose REMINISCING. Because I remember in the FALL of 1988 when this was broadcast all across Canada on TV commercials. I remember being so excited to see them on tv, even though I had just been a fan for about 4 months or so. I remember I bought the cd, the tape and the lp album...I just loved that pic of Richard and Karen. I was so dissapointed to find out that there were no pics or info on the inside of the album cover.

My thoughts,
Cam

For me, it was a close toss-up between "GOLD" and "BY REQUEST". However, I ultimately chose the prior.
I like "BY REQUEST" because it features songs like "One Love" and "Road Ode", however a truly DEFINITIVE collection hands-down for me is still "GOLD". How can you go wrong with this one? Forty tunes, spanning as far back as the "pre-Carpenters" era, with a first-time-on-CD single mix of "Solitaire", this one does it for me all the way!

And with an AMAZON.COM price tag of $14.99, I ask you...WAIT, I am ordering you to GET THIS RELEASE if you don't already have it!!!! -Chris (...who has clearly gone a little nuts, online...) :freak:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom