• “DESPERADO”

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • “PLEASE MR. POSTMAN”

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • “I CAN DREAM, CAN’T I?”

• “SOLITAIRE” (ALBUM VERSION)

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • “SOLITAIRE” (SINGLE VERSION-FOUND ON “GOLD”)

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • “HAPPY”

• “(I’M CAUGHT BETWEEN) GOODBYE & I LOVE YOU”

• “LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM”

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • “EVENTIDE”

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris May

Resident ‘Carpenterologist’
Staff member
We’ve arrived at week #6 for the favorite song from the Carpenters’ album: ‘HORIZON’.
I though since the most recent release of Carpenters “GOLD” features the single mix of “Solitaire”, an alternate option should be set up for either version. Please vote for favorite song and tell us why you picked it. -Chris

horizont.jpg

All thumbnails provided by http://www.grantguerrero.com/carpenters/carindex.html

Again, a difficult choice!

If I leave AURORA and EVENTIDE aside, there are three uptempo songs and five ballads on this album.

I was never really fond of POSTMAN, I always preferred ONLY YESTERDAY. But from the uptempo songs, I would vote for HAPPY. This is another hidden treasure, which appears on no other compilation than the Japanese TREASURES. I like both the catchy melody and the lyrics of this song.

The ballads are all fine. I debate between DESPERADO and LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM. The latter I was always very fond of, both because of the sophisticated lyrics and of Karen's vulnerable, yet selfconfident reading.

But for this poll I vote for DESPERADO. The musical arrangement is superior than LOVE ME FOR WHAT I AM, and the lyrics are touching, too. I especially like "You're loosing all your highs and lows, ain't it funny how the feeling goes away?" That's the best description of a depression, I have ever heard!

So, it's DESPERADO for me!

Bruno

Incidentally Bruno, 'HAPPY' can also be found on "The Singles, 1974-1978", and the 2000 release of "By Request".

It is one of my favorites from this album, however I picked 'Solitaire' (ALBUM VERSION). I think this an incredible reading by Karen and a kick-butt arrangement by Richard, not to mention a great Neil Sedaka tune. -Chris

"Love Me For What I Am" is simply one of the most gorgeous songs they've ever done. Karen's vocal is the perfect example of her "in-your-lap" approach. The end of it is simply chill-inducing. This is also another example of Richard knowing when to "get out of the way" from the production perspective. Just amazing. Honorable mention must go to "Only Yesterday" - even though Richard and John admitted that it was the most calculated song they ever wrote together.

Ed

"Only Yesterday" is a very close second for me, nearly a tie, but I picked "Happy". Both of them are heavy on the "production", but that's not really a bad thing here. I may have gone with "Happy" since it is a lesser-known song compared to "Only Yesterday".

Thanks, Chris, I forgot, even though I own both SINGLES 74-78 and BY REQUEST.

See, that happens, when you turn 40! :oops:

Bruno

Bruno said:
See, that happens, when you turn 40! :oops:

Heh...I've noticed that I sleep more, I'm not as fast as I used to be, more things ache, and I've been a little more forgetful.

On that note, let's go back to discussing...ummm...what were we talking about again?

:D

Rudy said:
Heh...I've noticed that I sleep more, I'm not as fast as I used to be, more things ache, and I've been a little more forgetful.

On that note, let's go back to discussing...ummm...what were we talking about again?

:D

So THIS is what I have to look forward to in another (12) years, ey?

Chris May said:
So THIS is what I have to look forward to in another (12) years, ey?

Do I know you? What are you doing in this Captain & Tenille forum?

:laugh:

Back to our regularly scheduled..umm..whatever we were talking about...

Bruno said:
Chris,

if you quit smoking, drinking and fooling around, you might escape this doom!

Bruno :wink:

Bruno, I might have to start smoking, drinking and fooling around just to cope with this forum! :wink:

Only had this album one time and the condition didn't do it justice. :sad:

"Aurora" is the album's Prelude and "Eventide" is the album's POST-lude, so that's what I was curious about. :shock:

I voted for "Only Yesterday", since the lyrics are very catchy, particularily: ...Only Yesterday when I was sad and I was lonely, you showed me a way to leave the past and all its tears behind me...Now there'll be no sorrow, tomorrow and today...Since I threw my sadness away...Only Yesterday...; The Ray Conniff Singers covered it, too. I like the BIG SOUND, which also includes a saxophone solo and some castanets, as well as the "Oooh's" and especially "Ahhh's", that typically characterize a Carpenters record. And Richard & Karen sure found a new way of doing so, after the Singles 1969-1973 Collection, released after their last (Last Week's) album and before this one. :D

My second favorite is "Please, Mr. Postman", which The Carpenters do the most definitive version of compared to the other versions by The Marvellettes and by The Beatles, which came before.:cool:

My third is "Solitaire"; hard to pick between the Single & LP version, as the LP version is all I've heard (on Classics Vol. 2--I've never owned Gold or had the '45'). But there are so many other versions by others, such as Johnny Mathis and Andy Williams. And Neil Sedaka, who actually wrote it, so it's hard to call any one THE 'Most Favorite'! :love:

There was life after their Compilation was released, least according to a certain Record Guide that gave this LP One Star *, more than the rest of their catalog, save for the TWO stars Singles... got... :|

But, I did enjoy this album at the time I had it and The Carpenters even add a freshness to 'The Eagles' Song', "Desperado". Which neither Judy Collins or Linda Ronstadt could add the emotion and depth of feeling Karen gave it, as well as making it more moving and a joy to hear! :)

Dave

...and the Interlude is "flipping it over"...! :wink:

Absolutely and without question: "Only Yesterday." It's what I'd consider one of the quintessential Carpenters records ever made, and I often list it as perhaps my favorite of all time.

Harry
...hassled at work, online...

This one was easy for me - "Only Yesterday." Quite simply my favorite Carpenters song, period. Top-notch piece of songwriting by Richard & John Bettis, and a top-notch production to boot (and some seriously great drum work from Jim Gordon). An absolutely flawless single, as far as I'm concerned!

Honorable mention must go to its flip side, "Happy," which would have to be my pick for the Carpenters B-side that really should have been an A-side itself. Really could have given Richard & Karen a third Top 10 hit from the album. Definitely my favorite song on HORIZON next to "Only Yesterday."

Jeff F.

This was the most difficult choice to make yet, as there are six songs on "Horizon" that I consider to be favourites!

In the end, I voted for ONLY YESTERDAY. The Carpenters made a lot of classic pop records in their time, but this one is, IMHO, close to being perfect! They put an awful lot of work into the production, and it shows.

Honourable mention goes to HAPPY, and I CAN DREAM, CAN'T I?

Murray

This album is where I began to jump off the Carpenters bandwagon. This album was just too safe.

My vote is for 'Solitaire.' I never really liked "Only Yesterday" probably for the exact reason Richard stated: Too calculated, not adventurous in the least, unlike most of their past hits.

My vote, and it was a toughie, goes to "Solitaire" with "Only Yesterday" a close second. I've always loved this song. It gives me chills to hear Karen sing it with that incomparable voice. "Postman" has always been a fav, too. It's so very upbeat!

By the way, my condolences to all you youngsters who are only 40. Just wait until you're eligible for Medicare and Social Security like I will be this very Thursday, the 12th!!!! I ache in places I never knew I had!!!! :D

Marilyn,
who just voted on the "diva" site!

thestitch said:
By the way, my condolences to all you youngsters who are only 40. Just wait until you're eligible for Medicare and Social Security like I will be this very Thursday, the 12th!!!! I ache in places I never knew I had!!!! :D

(HINT, HINT...Rudy, Bruno...Are ya OUT THERE??) :wink:

Toughest choice yet of all the albums we have covered.
"Only Yesterday" wins by a hair or two because of the excellent opening:
drum intro and Karen's AMAZING voice "After long enough of being alone"...
It just draws you in!

Second pick "Desperado" - should have been a single. Mature vocal and straight forward arrangement with a harmonica piece that catures the mood excellently. Gutsy chopice for Richard to arrange and he pulls it off without a single glitch.

Taking everything into perspective, music, arrangements, vocals, daring song choices, photography, and just plain CLASS, "Horizon" shows K & R at their very best- at the peak of their career!

Mark

My vote went to Deperado. Gutsy song that said "screw you" to the critics! As one friend told me once long ago "the only problem with that song is it is TOO perfect!"

Shannon

On a side note, I never really cared for Solitare, however, since I have been re-introduced to the original singles version, I find I like it a lot. Rich said in the liner notes of "Gold" that he didn't know why adding the guitars and pipe-organ were worth the expense. In my opinion, they add a LOT of drama to the song that was otherwise missing. It went from one of my least-appreciated singles to one of my most appreciated singles with just those improvements. Good job, Rich.

Chris May said:
(HINT, HINT...Rudy, Bruno...Are ya OUT THERE??) :wink:

Somebody push this wheelchair closer to the monitor so I can see it, willya? :D

i love this album! i think it's my absolute favorite (at least sometimes it is!). i really love "happy", "caught between goodbye and i love you", and "love me for what i am". those songs have just really appealed to me. the melodies are so rich. i love "only yesterday" and "please mr postman", of course, but i really love side 2 the most.

Marilyn,

Another Birthday -congratulations ....still going strong ...my Birthday follows on Friday 13th ....this year :laugh: ....being born on the 13th insulates one against any supposed perils or downsides .... :wink:

Main thing you are still enjoying life and part of AMcorner friends & members ....look on the bright side :)

Happy Birthday ....(12th) .... :D

Peter

As for HORIZON -great album title ....remember at school ....confirmation of title & release date , being overwhelmed with anticipation that new Carpenters set hailed as their best studio album yet was finally being released :cool:

Horizon did not disappoint ....brilliant album ....filled with memorable songs , covers and some of Carpenter / Bettis best compositions ....one long to hear many of these tracks LIVE ....only downside to 1975 was the complete cancellation of Carpenters UK & European Tours -even withdrawal of their headlining appearance at Royal Variety Performance-was announced :confused:

As for tracks ....Horizon rivals A Song For You as brilliant Carpenters album with great vocals , arrangements, songs , production and styles :D

Leaving aside 3 selected singles and I love them all .....Desperado , Goodbye & I Love You , Happy and I Can Dream Can't I all stand as some of the finest Carpenters recordings ....so difficult to select just one track ....:

This time I choose Goodbye & I Love You -great Bettis lyrics / theme , fabulous Carpenter melody / arrangement and Karen's moving vocal with some unbelievable low notes make this track outstanding :cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom