What are Taylor and Van Gelder up to lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seashorepiano

I'm not asking for a day-by-day rundown of what the man does, but does anyone here know what Creed Taylor is doing these days? I've heard he's still producing some jazz albums here and there, but has he settled in a particular place for good? The only recent photo I saw of him was taken in 2000 (I think) with Arnaldo deSouteiro, another famous producer. I know he has a hand in www.ctijazz.com, but is he doing anything else besides?

Does Rudy Van Gelder still have control over the empire he once had in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey? I know he remastered his own '50s and '60s recordings a couple of years ago on the "RVG Master Series," but is he still engineering at the present?

Any knowledge or clues would be appreciated. I, like many of you, will forever enjoy the legacy of music they have created.

I hope this post doesn't disappear into the nether-regions of the Corner, because I'm sure there are others here who are interested in CTi and where the cast of characters is these days.

Does anyone know whether Rudy Van Gelder had a studio before his home studio at Hackensack? I've heard a name from the very early 1950s, but I forget what it is.

seashorepiano said:
Does anyone know whether Rudy Van Gelder had a studio before his home studio in Hackensack, NJ?

I've always known Van Gelder to have had his studio in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey... He would usually be the ONLY engineer on those recordings, too; What a Busy Man he must'a been, eh?! :laugh:

seashorepiano said:
I hope this post doesn't disappear into the nether-regions of the Corner, because I'm sure there are others here who are interested in CTi and where the cast of characters are these days.

Yes, count me in, too, my friend...! :D

Dave

Yes, Van Gelder was indeed a busy man and spent most of his career at Englewood Cliffs, which is today more or less a shrine to jazz. What's most amazing is that he's still around to remaster the recordings that he made more than 40 years ago. Truly a recording legend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom