What are the Cornerites listening to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aside from the routine rotation of Herb Alpert, Baja Marimba, and Sergio Mendes, I’ve been listening to the following CD’s:

Sammy Davis, JR. Sings & Laurindo Almeida Plays
Daryl Hall – Can’t Stop Dreaming
Steve Tyrell – This Guy’s In Love
Eliane Elias – Dreamer
Michael Lington – Stay With Me
Dr. John – In A Sentimental Mood
Peter Nero – All The Things You Are
Chris Botti – A thousand Kisses Deep
Juan Oskar – All Covers
Mel Torme – Swings Shubert Ally
Gato Barbieri – The Shadow of the Cat
Paul McCartny - Flowers In The Dirt
And last but not least: Surfin’ Senorita, A Tribute – Various artists

As I write this I'm listening to "You Smile, The Song Begins", a terrific album.

Right now, on the DVD-A player is Doobie Brothers - The Captain and Me (a great old one with "Long Train Running", "China Grove", "South City Midnight Lady" and "Without You". Got this one from Deep Disount DVD's summer sale, along with Fleetwood Mac's Say You Will and Pat Metheny Group's Imaginary Day.

Otherwise, in my weekly rotation (car CD changer) in addition to XM Radio (which is on constantly while I work outside):

Dave Clark Five: Best Of (14 Million Sellers)...only on an LP, daddy-o's! Clark still hasn't authorized releases of ANY of his music on CD yet. Anything out there is a boot. Buddy of mine in Nashville put it on a CD for me. Good stuff!

Stevie Ray Vaughan: a summertime staple around here. I was carrying some two-fers I made of his four studio albums, but instead have been wrestling with sequencing a single-disc compilation on CD. The most recent version is pretty good so far.

U2: The Joshua Tree. Haven't played this one in years. Too bad the CD is pathetic-sounding.

Rush: Retrospective I and Retrospective II. Halfway decent Rush compilation...I can probably distill it down into one disc.

Brian Setzer '68 Comeback Special: Ignition and Lee Rocker: Bulletproof. Both satisfy my rockabilly "jones" for now. Rocker's album was one of the best releases of 2003 IMHO. (Too bad the Stray Cats reunion tour is only happening in Europe this year. :sad: )

Also spinning comps of Dion & The Belmonts and Clarence "Frogman" Henry.

At home on vinyl (cuz vinyl's where it's at):

Nat King Cole Sings/George Shearing Plays (Mobile Fidelity)
Nat King Cole w/ Billy May: Just One Of Those Things (out of phase and all, on Capitol)
Shorty Rogers: Afro-Cuban Influence (RCA LiViNg StErEo)
Joe Sample: Rainbow Seeker (MoFi)
Gino Vannelli: Powerful People (MoFi)
Gordon Lightfoot: Sundown (MoFi)
Esquivel: Actual (RCA Mexico)

Also at home, been spinning the new DVD-A discs I bought along with a few Police and Peter Gabriel albums on SACD.

I agree that the CD version of THE JOSHUA TREE is pathetic-sounding; I heard it on CD for the first time not too far back, and I thought that the CD just really sucked half of the life out of the album. Sounds much, much better on vinyl. Why THE JOSHUA TREE has never received any kind of upgrade treatment on CD by now - a remaster job or a deluxe edition - is beyond me.

As for what I'VE been listening to lately ... not all that much, actually! Been listening to a lot of Bryan Adams' older stuff this week that I'm not sick of hearing on the radio, like "Hearts on Fire" and "Victim of Love" and his late '90s stuff like MTV UNPLUGGED ("Back to You" has to be my fave of his) and ON A DAY LIKE TODAY.
I'm also addicted to Sneaker's "More Than Just the Two of Us" at the moment. Great song.

Jeff F.

The song "More Than Just The Two Of Us" by Sneaker is one of my favorites from the 80's decade as well as "Together (The New Wedding Song)" by Canadian singer Joey Gregorash from 1987. I am also listening to Jim Peterik & World Stage from 2000 (Ides Of March, Survivor member) which has the song called "Diamonds For Stones" which Jim does a duet with Cathy Richardson. Not to mention that I saw The Ides Of March performed at Dundee, Michigan at the May Fly Music Festival back in June 20, 2003. Also I met Jim & the rest of the Ides singing the book called "Songwriting For Dummies". I also have "Friendly Strangers: The Warner Bros. Recordings" from Rhino Handmade which I got last January which is numbered 505 out of 2500 made. I am also listening to Beverley Craven debut from 1990 which has the songs "Promise Me" & "Holding On". Not to mention Sam Phillips "A Boot And A Shoe" & Peter White "Confidential". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Aside from my wonderful Carpenters collection I have some LPs and CDs that I play quite regularly. These are:

Alanis Morissette- Jagged Little Pill (Maverink)
The Darkness- Permission to Land (Atlantic)
Sheryl Crow- Sheryl Crow (A&M)
Sheryl Crow- The Globe Sessions (A&M)
Dusty Springfield- Ultimate Collection (Hip-o)
Capt. & Tennille - Ultimate Collection (Hip-o)
Cyndi Lauper- Essential Cyndi Lauper (Epic)
ABBA- Gold (Polydor)
The Police- Every Breath You Take (A&M)
Train- My Private Nation (Columbia)

jfiedler17 said:
I agree that the CD version of THE JOSHUA TREE is pathetic-sounding; I heard it on CD for the first time not too far back, and I thought that the CD just really sucked half of the life out of the album. Sounds much, much better on vinyl. Why THE JOSHUA TREE has never received any kind of upgrade treatment on CD by now - a remaster job or a deluxe edition - is beyond me.

I'd heard that Mobile Fidelity remastered it in the 90s, but it wasn't much better than the standard CD version. And yes, I've also heard the vinyl is better...so I'm tempted to find one and do a good needle drop of it.

Lately I've been listening to:

The Corrs - Borrowed Heaven
Agnetha Faltskog - My Colouring Book
Dido - Life For Rent
Liz Phair - Liz Phair
Kylie Minogue - Greatest Hits 87-97
Dannii Minogue - Girl
Carole Bayer Sager - Sometimes Late at Night
Captain & Tennille - More Than Dancing...Much More

Murray

Forgot to mention Holly Cole "Dark Dear Heart" (1997) which has the song "You Want More" co-written by Sheryl Crow & the remake of the Beatles "I've Just Seen A Face" & Joni Mitchell "River". Also "Romantically Helpless" (2000) & "Shade" which came out last year. Also I am listening to "Ultimate Mancini" (various artists) & Monica Mancini "debut" (1998), "The Dreams Of Johnny Mercer" (2000) & "Cinema Paradiso" (2002). Matt Clark Sanford, MI

I've been listening to[and watching...] Diana Krall's DVD, and am about to load up CHICAGO...

I also spend a lot of time listening to my own stuff, trying to improve it in my mind...seems I do this more than anything else...

Dan

Reminds me, I did get the new Diana Krall recording on SACD hybrid, but haven't played it yet. Probably will wait, as I usually don't listen to that kind of music in the summer. :wink:

When I fiddle about my barracks room here in Japan (it's really a small aprtment with a kitchen and everything -- ah the pleasures of making rank) I put my mp3s in random mode. With almost 5000 songs I get very few repeats.

However when I PT in the morning I take a different CD to the gym with me. I only brought a half dozen CDs but have managed to pick up a few since I got here (mostly in the more affordable Philippines -- here in Japan I can't bring myself to spend full price on CDs unless I find those few A&M items I really really really want)

Most recent CD listens at PT:
Buzzcocks Singles Going Steady, the first LP from IRS in the A&M days.
Sonia A Taste of Bossa Nova, which I've already raved about elsewhere.
Christ Lutheran Praise Band To God Be the Glory even though it was recorded before I joined the band I still enjoy this one immensely
Kate Bush The Dreamimg is great "running up that hill' while PTing!
Bill Nelson Atom Shop... Bill Nelson is a genious. Someday everyone will understand.
Nina Hagen The Best It must be the German in me, but I love it when Nina screams at me.
Human League The Best I love the roots of techno though modern techno does little for me... I need more Kraftwerk and VGG!

--Mr Bill

Me, just the usual rotation of

-- Andy Williams

-- Chris Montez

-- Gabor Szabo

-- Sandpipers

-- Jimmie Rodgers

-- Nick De Caro

-- Roger Nichols

-- Hugo Montenegro

-- Jeffrey Comanor

-- Vikki Carr

And my 3-Record Set:

Theme from 'Love Story' and 30 other hits!--which is actually 'THIRTY Hits' from Various Easy Listening Artists ranging from Ray Connniff, John Davidson, Doc Severinsen, Terry Baxter, Bobby Vinton, Tony Bennett, Ray Price, Marty Robbins and Johnny Cash to Patti Page, Doris Day, Robert Goulet, Johnny Mathis, Blood, Sweat & Tears, James Last, Andre Kostalentz, Tammy Wynette and Percy Faith--one song apiece, or sometimes two. It is on Columbia Records' Musical Treasures Collection-series.

And my 5-Record Set:

Pop Hits Country Flavored--which is Various Country Artists on RCA's Special Products-series.

Dave

I'm still trying to catch up listening to my record show hauls. Some of the things I've been playing:

King Crimson - Beat

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Texas Flood (w/ bonus tracks!)

Clifford Brown - The Quintet, Volume 1

Count Basie Orchestra - On The Road

Urbie Green - 6-Tet

Bill Watrous - I'll Play For You

Phil Woods Six - "Live" From The Showboat

Rob McConnell & the Boss Brass - Live In Digital

Capt. Bacardi

I'm listening to these...my latest:

Agnetha Faltskog-My Coloring Book & 2 of her CD Singles (Red Mix/Blue Mix)

Carpenters-By Request (Japan Import)

Simon & Garfunkel-Live from New York City 1967 (very cool almost acoustic mini concert of very very young duo before they became truly famous to the world, listening to them talk you can hear Art's strong NY accent, I've heard him recently & seems to have lost that strong NY accent. Enjoying this CD. (Mine is a limited edition foil cover CD that with the light hiting it causing the cover to jump out at you. Nice the way the cover opens & booklet is right there to view, no pulling out for the booklet.

The Corrs-Borrowed Heaven, Really enjoying this, review previously posted.

Hanson-CD Single of Penny & Me (don't own any of there CD's but saw the video on the net of Penny & Me & really liked the song, has a nice accoustic version on Single too.

LP Version of Nat King Cole sings George Shearing plays (Original Master Recording) Lovin this one...need to burn this one to CD soon.

Carpenters Singles Quad LP, enjoying this & also need to burn this to CD & have some fun with this one in my car system.

Interesting thread...lots of variety!
I went through a natural RAY CHARLES phase recently, and since then I've been in a decidedly JETHRO TULL kind of mood, listening to "Aqualung", "A Passion Play", "Songs From The Wood", "WarChild", "Minstrel In The Gallery", "Stand Up", "This Was", "Stormwatch", and my favorite "Heavy Horses". Hmm...where's "Thick As A Brick"? I'll have to dig that out...
Also in the box I keep in my car this week is: the "Gilmore Girls" soundtrack, KENNY ROGERS "42 Ultimate Hits" (finally the Liberty stuff has been remastered decently!), DIANA ROSS & THE SUPREMES "The No. 1's" (great compilation!), SUPERTRAMP's "Free As A Bird", SWITCHFOOT's "The Beautiful Letdown", and JONATHA BROOKE's "Back In The Circus".
Plus my homemade CD comps of SOUNDGARDEN, CHICAGO, STEVE MILLER, JOE WALSH, and ELO.
And a compilation I threw together of songs I recently bought from Buy.Com with SAM THE SHAM, RARE EARTH, BIG COUNTRY, CASTING CROWNS, JOSH GROBAN, HOOBASTANK, TOTO, N.E.R.D., LOS LONELY BOYS, MODEST MOUSE, VELVET REVOLVER, ROGER WILLIAMS, THE JACKSONS, THE CALL and BLIND FAITH. :badteeth:

Rudy, Hollywood Records "History Of Dave Clark 5" wasn't a boot, was it? I thought that was legit. I bought that in '93. I think it's out of print now.

I'll have to check on that DC5. Was it in true stereo, fake stereo...or mono? That stuff was all over the map.

Currently I have my own Baja Marimba Band compilation in the pickup player, and a TJB compilation of mine in my work computer.

Other selections in my CD case right now include:
My compilation of Brasil '77 tracks
A comedy CD by Mitch Hedberg (STRATEGIC GRILL LOCATIONS)
The Ultimate Jack Benny collection (20 CDs, 40 shows)
Steve Miller Band, FLY LIKE AN EAGLE
The Corrs, BORROWED HEAVEN (have not listened to it yet though)
The new Heart CD, JUPITER'S DARLING (excellent)

All tracks are "mono" except the last three songs on Disc 2: "Here Comes Summer", "Live In The Sky" & the remake of We Five & the Youngbloods "Everybody Get Together" are in "stereo". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

AM Matt said:
All tracks are "mono" except the last three songs on Disc 2: "Here Comes Summer", "Live In The Sky" & the remake of We Five & the Youngbloods "Everybody Get Together" are in "stereo". Matt Clark Sanford, MI

Those original Epic LPs were only originally issued in mono. IIRC, there may have been some "fake" stereo (that electronic crap that just sounds bad, like RCA's "rechanneling" or Capitol's "Duophonic"), but Clark did some stereo mixes which begat the two-LP DC5 best-of in the US, and the "14 Million Sellers" LP in Europe. (That LP sounds fantastic if you can find a clean copy--mine's on the Starline label, part of EMI.) I found another LP recently that claimed it was stereo, but it was basically the "rechanneled" mess with a lot of echo added. Keep hoping Clark will at least reissue those genuine stereo mixes in the future, but I'm not holding my breath.

Running through my head right now..."I'm in pieces, bits and pieces..." :laugh:

Hey this is a great topic!

The albums (or cds) I've listened to during the last week are...

EASTERN SOUNDS / Yusef Lateef
THE GOLDEN FLUTE / Yusef Lateef
SMALL CIRCLE OF FRIENDS / Roger Nichols
SOFT SAMBA / Gary McFarland
THE BROTHERS FOUR SING LENNON & McCARTNEY
DOCUMENT / R.E.M.
A BAJA MARIMBA BAND Compilation CD made by a friend (thanks, Bob)
and... several cds by a GREAT young jazz singer named STACEY KENT

so what are you guys listening to ??

Four years later, a reply...

daveK said:
Rudy, Hollywood Records "History Of Dave Clark 5" wasn't a boot, was it? I thought that was legit. I bought that in '93. I think it's out of print now.

I just picked that up late last year--it's a legit release. The only official CD release by the DC5. However, due to their induction into R&RHOF, there is a new compilation being released in the near future. But I don't know if it will have stereo mixes on it or not. The Hollywood has all mono tracks, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom