What Are You Listening To This Week?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
Just a random question about what you're listening to this week, or this month.

I've been putting my "now playing" selections in my signature for a couple of months now--will try to keep it updated more often. :wink: Right now, I have the following in rotation (left to right below my signature):

Sergio Mendes & Brasil '66, Herb Alpert Presents...: finally got the CD. Waiting for the replacement stylus for my Shure V15 before I do my comparison with the MoFi vinyl (which, on first listen, still beats the CD).

Genesis, A Trick Of The Tail: still going back to this one repeatedly for the past few months. Can't get over how I overlooked it for all these years. An incredible album, that gets even more so each time I play it. Collins' first "day job" on vocals after Peter Gabriel left. And enough time changes to give Don Ellis a few ideas. :wink:

Mike Metheny, Day In -- Night Out: a rarity on CD, I finally landed it on eBay a couple of weeks ago, and just received it. My !Impulse! vinyl edition was OK, but a bit worn. Mike's kid brother makes an appearance on guitar here, taking solos on the title track and on Don Sebesky's "Olvidar". This is a good one to track down!

Pat Metheny, Secret Story: by far my favorite Pat (aka "the kid brother" :wink: ) solo recording...haunting, highly personal and very moving. One of the few times you'll hear Pat with strings, too. I haven't been able to stop playing it lately.

Brian Setzer '68 Comeback Special, Ignition!: must be a constant feeding of my rockabilly jones lately. :D I've had this one going since January, non-stop. Despite the slightly headache-inducing mastering, there are some great licks here. I'm digging the song "8-Track" right now, where Setzer takes a solo with jazz changes in it, on top of the rockin', bass-slappin' background. Just ordered a CD by Lee Rocker (the slappin' doghouse bassist from Stray Cats) called Bulletproof that should arrive in a few days. Sounds really good from the MP3s I downloaded from Rocker's website.

Bill Withers, Menagerie: along with Still Bill, both of which were recently reissued on CD. My Withers compilation still gets a lot of play, but it's nice to hear the songs in their original context. Menagerie has "Lovely Day", "I Want To Spend The Night" and "Let Me Be The One You Need". Sumptuous! Still Bill features the ultimate jealousy song, "Who Is He, and What Is He To You?", "Lean On Me", and my favorite, "Use Me". Great liner notes, with Withers hinting that the muse just may be visiting him in the near future. He's been retired from music for awhile, doing handyman work and carpentry, and says the next step musically has been the building of his own little studio to record in. :)

That's great news, and I hope Withers does some performing to support the new album.
Incidentally, a couple of A&M Canada inner sleeves show STILL BILL among other items, but I've never found an import A&M Withers item - yet.
JB

Yeah, I"ve seen mention of some early Withers on non-US A&M. It was probably a distribution deal for his first three albums, recorded on the Sussex label...which went out of business owing him money. :confused: Wisely, Columbia picked up the masters for those recordings.

If he does indeed cut a new album and tour, I would go no matter what the price. :) If anything, his popularity may have grown over the years.

Well, I've been listening to Norah Jones. I bought the Come Away With Me CD and I have decided that I enjoy Norah's sound and songs quite a bit.

This is a sound that I can enjoy - and that is something I can't say for a lot of the contemporary fare....

Norah Jones, Nelly Furtado, Venessa Carlton and the Beta Band are all acts I could EASILY see being on A&M in the "Herb & Jerry" era.

--Mr Bill
thinking Vannessa or Norah are the next Rita Coolidges

Mr Bill said:
Norah Jones, Nelly Furtado, Venessa Carlton and the Beta Band are all acts I could EASILY see being on A&M in the "Herb & Jerry" era.

--Mr Bill
thinking Vannessa or Norah are the next Rita Coolidges

Vanessa Carlton, IS, of course, on today's A&M Records.

Harry
...sure that Mr. Bill realizes this, online...

Harry said:
Vanessa Carlton, IS, of course, on today's A&M Records.
Harry
...sure that Mr. Bill realizes this, online...

Well, if the tiny little Uni Logo on my copy qualifies as as "A&M" then yes, otherwise, I see no reference to A&M on my copy...

--Mr Bill

Do you have a domestic US copy?

On my Vanessa Carlton CD (BE NOT NOBODY), there are at least three different A&M logos: one on the back of the booklet/insert on the lower left corner, one on the back insert also in the lower left corner, and one on the face of the disk itself etched in faint silver underneath the title. Plus the words A&M Records appear on the spine above the catalog number.

The A&M logo is even more prevalent on the promo single "A Thousand Miles".

http://www.amrecords.com/artists/artists_am.asp

Harry
...hoping Mr. Bill enjoys his multi-'Thousand Miles' journey home, online...

I've been listening to Herb Alpert. A friend gave me CDs of Whipped Cream, Going Places, and the two 25th Anniversary Classics compilations. I hadn't heard the TJB stuff in nearly 30 years (not since my sister left home, taking her albums with her), and I'd never heard most of the Herb solo tracks before.

I must say that I've been enjoying this music immensely!! :)

Murray

If you have the means, burn yourself copies of all of those...they're all out of print now! (The two albums alone would fetch huge bucks on eBay...)

There are rumblings of reissues for some TJB titles, though...but all I've heard is second-hand news either way. Damned frustrating when you try to keep up on things A&M. :confused:

I've been watching two Carpenters documentaries from England. Courtesy of a friend, I've gotten to see the two most recent UK docs on the duo, one of which features Caroline Corr commenting about her famous predecessor in the girl-drummer field. It also features commentary from our own Randy Schmidt, giving it a nice, homey feel.

On the listening front, I've given a bit more time to the new Fleetwood Mac album. Other than that - stricly the old tried and true stuff.

Harry
...enjoying a sunny weekend day after yesterday's rain, online...

Got Dave Brubeck's Time In yesterday...an Austrian import. "Lost Waltz" really cooks on this one! :D

Now if we could get Columbia somewhere in the world to release Countdown -- Time in Outer Space, I'd be pleased! :D

Why can't anyone record jazz this good anymore today?

All I've been listening to the last few weeks is Jets, Helicopters and weaponry. Between that it's people bitching and complaining. One night I actually DID get to pop my headphones opn and listen to a few hours of "random play" in iTunes on my gov't issue Mac (2951 songs in total)...

--Mr Bill
noting his Vanessa C CD is either bootleg or a foreign edition...

I've been listening to oldies radio...my new [to me] car doesn't have a CD player yet...when Uncle Sugar sends me my tax check and my ex gets her cut...maybe there'll be enough left for a CD player...and a couple of replacement speakers...some Pioneer stuff, most likely...is a CD player with mp3 capability worth the extra price...?

Dan

MP3 capability is a cheaper way of having something like a changer in the car. :wink: Been carrying around a Panasonic portable with MP3...got 9 albums and two EPs on one disc.

Rudy said:
MP3 capability is a cheaper way of having something like a changer in the car. :wink: Been carrying around a Panasonic portable with MP3...got 9 albums and two EPs on one disc.

The deck in question costs about 50 bucks more with mp3 capability...if I could get that much music on one disc, well...I certainly could live with that...how about sound quality?

Dan

The A&M logo appears on the back photo of the booklet, the songsheet behind the disc tray and on the disc itself for Vanessa Carlton's album. The logo is small and in light print on the CD - you almost have to tilt it under a bright light to see it.
I was bummed that she didn't win a Grammy this year but believe she's got staying power. Perhaps a foundation for A&M to spin off from UNI and become its own label again.
Perhaps there's a Vanessa duet with Herb in the future -- sort of like the Santana/Michelle Branch thing.
JB
NP: Vanessa Carlton BE NOT NOBODY "Ordinary Day" (06949 33072)

DAN BOLTON said:
The deck in question costs about 50 bucks more with mp3 capability...if I could get that much music on one disc, well...I certainly could live with that...how about sound quality?

Variable...in many cases at 192kbps, it will sound good enough in the car environment. At home over a good system, I can hear some loss even at 192k...anything less and it's a little too obvious. It all depends on what you use to encode the MP3s, and at what bitrate. 256k would be better, but would also take more disk space. I think the Fleetwood Mac box set I did at 256k, and I only got those four discs, plus 1-1/2 extra albums, on the single CD. Still...how convenient is it to lug around one disc vs. a 4- or 5-CD box set?

Only thing you have to do is make sure you can burn a CD to the specs that the player is looking for. The manufacturers haven't really standardized on it.

Spending a lot of time with XM Satellite radio. Also broke out the CDs for one last run (here in Phoenix, I don't take chances with CDs and jewel cases in the car from May through October) and have listened to the TJB's "Sounds Like", Bacharach's "Reach Out" and a homemade CD that I'd forgotten has Burt's "Wives and Lovers" from the "Burt Bacharach" album. 32 years later, it still knocks me out!

---Michael Hagerty

Michael Hagerty said:
Spending a lot of time with XM Satellite radio. Also broke out the CDs for one last run (here in Phoenix, I don't take chances with CDs and jewel cases in the car from May through October) and have listened to the TJB's "Sounds Like", Bacharach's "Reach Out" and a homemade CD that I'd forgotten has Burt's "Wives and Lovers" from the "Burt Bacharach" album. 32 years later, it still knocks me out!

I also like "And The People Were With Her" for the same reasons. Plays like a suite. That's why it's my favorite Bacharach A&M album. Oh...and "Nikki" is on there too.

Haven't taken the jump into XM yet. I am considering, though, hooking up another of my spare DirecTV receivers to use for Music Choice. Now that they have a "disco" channel... :wink:

Boogie Feevah,

I've got both Music Choice (from Cox Digital Cable) and XM. I like XM better, because it's not just a jukebox. Some serious name air talent on XM...Bruce Kelly, George Taylor Morris, Sonny Fox, Johnathon Schwartz, a bunch of others. Since I'm using a Sky-Fi unit, I can listen at home, so Music Choice has taken a back seat.

---Michael Hagerty

I haven't looked at XM much yet, but I think it's in my future. I'd almost rather have it at home, since I prefer my own CDs in the car most of the time. I don't know which level of Music Choice I have, but it's a lot of channels. Not all cable companies carry the full load...not even sure if DirecTV does either. :wink:

I've got 45 Music Choice channels...I don't know if that's the full line-up or not.

As for XM (which I haven't bought with my own money yet, but am testing for my TV show), the hot ticket is the Sky-Fi unit ($129) which can dock into a home stereo adapter, a car stereo adapter (both about $70 each) and the Sky-Fi Audio System ($99), an XM-only stereo boombox that runs on AC power or 6 D cell batteries. In the next few days, I should be getting the XM PCR unit, which is supposed to turn your PC into an XM reciever without eating memory or hard drive. I'll let you know what that's like.

---Michael Hagerty

Rudy said:
DAN BOLTON said:

Variable...in many cases at 192kbps, it will sound good enough in the car environment. At home over a good system, I can hear some loss even at 192k...anything less and it's a little too obvious. It all depends on what you use to encode the MP3s, and at what bitrate. 256k would be better, but would also take more disk space. I think the Fleetwood Mac box set I did at 256k, and I only got those four discs, plus 1-1/2 extra albums, on the single CD. Still...how convenient is it to lug around one disc vs. a 4- or 5-CD box set?

Only thing you have to do is make sure you can burn a CD to the specs that the player is looking for. The manufacturers haven't really standardized on it.

Thanks for the info...even at 256, it would be worth the extra for the convenience...I was wondering where I'd store all my CDs in the console...it's just big enough for my bottle of air freshener and Dale Earnhardt flashlight...

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom