• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What We Need Next: A Carpenters SINGLES Collection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rudy

¡Que siga la fiesta!
Staff member
Site Admin
From another thread...

Chris-An Ordinary Fool said:
I sure as heck don't want him to stop finding little treasures and release them. I still need the original version of "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" on CD. :tongue:

I still say a "singles" collection, with all the original 45RPM mixes (stereo AND mono) would be a neat set. No remixing, just the 45s as we remember them all. (And the mono mixes for those who heard them on the radio that way.) This would be an excellent companion to the Remastered Classics CDs that have the original album versions.

Anyone else agree? :)

YES! I DO! Make them all MONO mixes. It wot be da bomb! Fashizzle my nizzle! Weeeeeeeeeeee

...with too much egg nog, online...

I totally agree, that would be an excellent box set, simply excellent. I would pay dearly for that.

Perhaps someone here could write Richard about this, someone with a great way of writing it & see what he thinks of this idea. Anyone?

I'm terrible at writing & I've already written to him twice in the past couple months.

Although they're not on CD, I do have several copies of the single release Santa Clause...The Downey F/C offered them on their memorabilia list. Interestingly enough I haven't listened to one of them since CD rolled out. The only turntable spin that I've recently had was of the quad HORIZON. Now, I'm curious as to what the fuss is about? Once again I'll have to dig deep into my own "vaults". Inasmuch as I enjoy the this-n-thats, it is still a mighty undertaking. When and if I do me thinks I'll head off to this dude who copies vinyl to CD at a little studio up here. I do remember the single version being quite different. For example, It definitely has remixed sax and the reverb on Karen and backing vocals is more subdued. In terms of overall production quality, think A SONG FOR YOUish. The initial F/C release has a cool sleeve with a rather large and quite jolly looking Santa. Picture Norman Rockwell in Technicolor.

I remember the first time I heard this single on the air and I thought I was in heaven. That song kicked a** with the overdubs and K's astonishing vocal register.

Umm Umm Umm, yep, gotta start diggin'.

Jeff

A couple of thoughts re the single mixes.

First off, this would almost have to be a box set for it to be truly a landmark release. With the number of Carpenters singles, one disk isn't enough to hold them all, two just about does it through the a-sides once. Throw in the b-sides and you've added more disks to the set. Make them mono as well, and the set grows into large proportions. If Richard were to compile them as the Beatles did - a very expensive set with each "single" housed in its own original picture sleeve, then it could end up being very expensive.

I once began compiling just the top 100 charted Carpenters hit singles and found that I needed two 50 minute plus discs (divided evenly). So just THOSE would take three to four discs doing mono AND stereo. It appears that if such a set were to ever be considered, to make it mass-market acceptable, then a two disc set with just the stereo single-mix releases would be optimal.

Did Richard originally put the effort into the single mixes? Or were they handled by others at A&M at the time? We've heard that with Herb's stuff, it was Larry Levine who often handled mixing for mono singles while Herb concentrated on the stereo stuff. My point being that if the single mixes were handled by others, then Richard wouldn't necessarily have any attachment to them. Again, this is not without precedent - we know that Richard had nothing to do with, nor any sentimental attachments to the quad mixes. They were prepared without his participation.

I'd love to see it happen and would be first in line to buy it. It's certainly a great excuse to churn that catalog again, isn't it?!

One other minor problem: what the heck to call it! We've already been inundated with titles called "Singles", yet none of them really were! Maybe "45's".

Harry
...with some thoughts, online...

Mr. Shun Okano talked about single box set last year. I think he suggested 30th box set to Richard. You can see his name as Japanese Project Coordinator on last page of 35th box set booklet.

In March of last year Mr. Okano mentioned "Carpenters Perform Carpenter". It was released last year.
He said they had plan for 30-Single Box Set. He also talked about remastered "Live in Japan" and "Live at the Palladium".

Universal Music released Jimi Hendrix Single Box and the Rolling Stones Single Box.
http://www.universalmusicworld.com/ecard/rstones/mailshot.htm
When you click "View Track List", you can read it.
(Japanese page
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/um3/the_rolling_stones/uicy9419/index.html
You may read English title.)

Jimi's Disc 10 has AULD LANG SYNE, SILENT NIGHT, LITTLE DRUMMER BOY and THREE LITTLE BEARS.

Some discs have several songs.

Is it possible that 30-single has both mono and stereo for A-sides and B-sides?
If they choose paper cover for single box set, I'd like to have covers made in Japan. Those who bought the Beatles Box Set look like feeling the cover cheaper.

Does anyone know address of Universal Music (U.S. and U.K.)?

Here is Request page to Universal Music World Jp.
http://www.universal-music.co.jp/um3/request/index.html

name (required)
age (required)
address
male/female(required)
Occupation
E-mail address
comment(required)

Send/Reset

I sent request e-mail before.
Carpenters
re-release of
"The Best of Best/Original Master Karaoke"
"Yesterday Once More Original Master Karaoke"
"Time"
DVD "Live at Budokan" Region Free
and SACD Japanese version
with Remastered Lives.
(As mentioned before, Singles SACD will not be released in Japan.)

I wrote "Please release Black Box again!" in May of last year. My dream came true, 35th box set was released!! I do hope Single box set will be released!!

Mitch made single list before.
http://www.amcorner.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1819

Sakura

Rudy said:
I still say a "singles" collection, with all the original 45RPM mixes (stereo AND mono) would be a neat set. No remixing, just the 45s as we remember them all. (And the mono mixes for those who heard them on the radio that way.) This would be an excellent companion to the Remastered Classics CDs that have the original album versions.
Anyone else agree? :)

Not only do I agree, I think a box set should be constructed with a special booklet featuring the sleeve-cover artwork for each individual single, its release date, and as mentioned in an earlier thread, both the mono AND stereo versions, original single mix. -Chris

Hi there all!

I WOULD LOVE a single collection like that! That would make any Carpenters fans wet their pants!

That would be expensive, and I'm sure it would only be sold in Japan, sadly!

This is a great idea guys alot of artists are already doing this so why not the Carpenters. Make it so Richard make it so!! (I am certain sooner or later he will). I know I will be first (or near first) in line for this one and some things are worth paying more this would be no exception just like tha Album box set worth every penny. :thumbsup: :love: :D

Chris! I have the mono version of SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN on CD audio if you'd like me to make you a copy, I sure would.

Could see Richard issuing Singles CD Box at some point ....but doubt whether Mono tracks will be added ...unless Richard releases the original singles plus Mono tracks as a maxi -single .... :wink:

With original covers , art-work , lyrics ....& special booklet with Richard liner notes on each singles selection / history ....this would be a special Carpenters issue .....:cool:

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom