• Our Album of the Week features will return next week.

What's Herb's best vocal?

What song represents Herb's best vocal performance?

• Tell It To The Birds (Dore Alpert)

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Hello Dolly (South of the Border)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mame (S.R.O.)

• Talk To the Animals (The Beat of the Brass)

• This Guy's In Love With You (The Beat of the Brass)

Votes: 11 44.0%
  • You are my Life (The Brass Are Comin')

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • To Wait for Love (Warm)

• Without Her (Warm)

• Zazuiera (Warm)

• Summertime (Summertime)

• Save the Sunlight (You Smile - The Song Begins)

• I Belong (Coney Island)

• The Christmas Song (Christmas Album)

• Love Is (Rise)

• I Get it from You (Magic Man)

• Maniac (Bullish)

• Quiereme Tal Como Soy (Fandango)

• Pillow (Keep Your Eye On Me)

• No Time For Time (Wild Romance)

• All In All (Michel Colombier's Wings)

• Noche De Amor (import)

• The Bell That Couldn't Jingle (Christmas Album)

• Come What May (Duet with Lani Hall, from "Blush")

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Blakesley

Staff member
Which of these songs represents Herb Alpert's best vocal performance?

I've included his early single "Tell It To The Birds" (recorded as Dore Alpert) and his guest shot "All In All" on Michel Colombier's WINGS, but we're not counting TJB songs where there's just a bit of vocals, like "Martha My Dear." And I'm sure there are one or two post-TJB songs I missed! If so, fire them at me and I'll add them to the poll.

This will run until the end of October, so vote early and often! :tongue:

Though limited in distribution, "Noche De Amor" should be added to the list.

Harry

"You're Doing What you Did With Me With Him" also deserves mention, because it's such a tongue-twister.
JB

I added all three of these to the list. I think that pretty much covers it (I think, to keep things neat, we should not add any more Dore songs.) Let the voting begin!

Tough choice, but I had to go with "Noche De Amor". I really like songs like "To Wait For Love" and "This Guy's In Love With You" and even "You Are My Life", but there's just something about "Noche De Amor" that grabs me. Perhaps it's because the record is dual natured, being almost half vocal and half instrumental.

Harry
...making the hard choices, online...

I'd include FALLOUT SHELTER...a novelty song to be sure, but probably Herb's [okay, Dore's] most "energetic" vocal...

Dan

I went with "All In All", since it's a seductive song, but I'm not a big fan of his vocals. Actually, one of his better vocals IMHO is "Be My Valentine", but there's no need to clog up any more space in the poll. At least you didn't include "Just You And Me"! :D

Capt. Bacardi
...who also enjoys "The You In Me" online...

I've gone for This Guy, but I'd agree with the captain that The You In Me is a contender. The one I haven't even heard on the list is All In All.

"This Guy's in Love With You" is not only Herb's best vocal but one of the best songs ever recorded. The others are fine, "Without Her" and "To Wait for Love" are really great- but there is really no better than "This Guy", (IMHO). It also boosted A&M into the big league of record labels.
PS: I also think that Herb's vocal on "The Christmas Song" is very nice. :bigsanta:

I've only recently become interested in Herb's music and my collection is still very small, so I haven't heard most of the songs on the list. Of the ones that I have heard, I like "This Guy's In Love With You" the best. This is a great recording!

If "Just You & Me" was among the choices I would've gone for it -- just to even up its odds. I went with "Come What May" though "All In All" was a strong contender. I agree that "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle" belongs here as well. The Dore's should've been left off since they are "Dore" vocals -- not "Herb" vocals. :wink:

--Mr Bill

What about WHEN THE LIGHTS GO DOWN LOW from MY ABSTRACT HEART? BTW, I voted for MAME...he really cuts loose on that one in a way he doesn't on the others...sounds like he's having a good time with it...

Dan

I don't consider "Mame", "Hello Dolly" or "Talk to the Animals" truly "Herb" vocals since the vocal duties are shared by the entire Brass and not just Herb...

--Mr Bill

I've heard none of the Dore songs and haven't cared much for any of Herb's vocals since the days of You Smile and Coney Island. I voted for "Summertime"--strong, clean voice and a sweet combo with Lani.

Mike A.

I voted for This Guy's In Love With You, although To Wait For Love, All In All, The Bell That Wouldn't Jingle, You Are My Life (I've always liked this song) and Summertime stand out as well.

Summertime is especially pleasing -- a perfect blending of voices. :wink:

Jon

...who is glad "The Summer, Summertime..." has passed, online...

GAAAAA! How could I have left off "The Bell That Couldn't Jingle?" That's among my favorite of his vocals. Maybe it's because it's still shirt-sleeve weather around here. Oh well...I won't change it now-- too many votes cast already.

I went with "This Guy's...". This one just goes beyond his vocal performance--the song, the arrangement, the single...it just hit that magical formula that IMHO hasn't been hit since. At least as far as hit singles are concerned.

"Quierme Tal Como Soy" is my 2nd place pick--his singing is excellent, and it's one of the few Spanish songs I can sing along with. The melody is terrific!

My third place has to be "Pillow"...but I have always been a sucker of that Minneapolis sound, going back to early Prince and The Time. Neat to hear one of my favorite musical styles with Herb's touch. (Although it is a duet, it IS on a Herb Alpert album. :) )

And of course, my seasonal winner is that Christmas gem "Bell That Couldn't Jingle". :D Not his best vocal performance, but it's another case of a catchy tune creating a nice formula for a winning track. (And no coincidence, another Bacharach song. :) )

There are a lot of good runners-up, like "To Wait For Love" (which has questionble lyrics but a great melody). Another honorable mention has to be "Summertime" more so for its arrangement.

Only really a few clinkers in the whole bunch actually. :wink:

Hey, what about "Someone to watch over me" from Midnight Sun. It's one of my favorite version of this song and one my favorite of his vocals.

'This Guy's In Love With You" is my favorite vocal by far...I agree with the comment above that this song has "magic" that no other vocal has ever had, or even came close. It has it all - the right melody, lyrics, arrangement, overall sound, a special "feel," and it was in the right place at the right time to be a big pop music hit. It was the kind of song that was going to be a big time hit record. I think it's hard to "plan" a hit - it just sort of happens and this one was one of those special songs.

As far as I am concerned, all the rest are distant second place...

I agree that this song had several elements that the others do not. The lyrics, the way Herb sang it all went together to produce a once in a career creation.

It also "slammed" the TV viewing public--the network was deluged with phone calls of people looking for a 45rpm single of this cut after their TV special aired. That's the stuff #1 hits are made out of. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom